IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Why is everyone obsessed with M3 vs. ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08 | 08:37 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Default Why is everyone obsessed with M3 vs. ISF?

Everyday I get on here there is a new article comparing the two cars. Why does everyone care so much about the comparison? If you want to know the difference just go drive one I say.
Old 04-29-08 | 08:58 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Because the M3 has been the gold standard in this specific market for many years. With a (relatively) new model that's Lexus first entry and a new generation M it's a great matchup.

It's inevitable that these two (and other competitors) will be be comparo-d by every major automotive news outlet out there... it sells copy and gets clicks Most of the people reading those articles will never drive one and 95% + will probably never own one. They still want to know about it.

Just like Camaro vs Mustang. Corvette vs Viper. Even Camry vs Accord .
Old 04-29-08 | 12:51 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I agree with DaveGS4, people just want to know the difference between them, plus at where I am at it is hard to test drive the M3 and the IS-F so the only source that we have is from these forum.
Old 04-29-08 | 12:55 PM
chinojk
Driver School Candidate

because those bmw owners are not nice
Old 04-29-08 | 01:15 PM
Namster
Intermediate

Shouldn't people compare IS-F with M3 sedan and not the M3 coupe? IMO, a real comparison should be a 4-door vs 4-door.
Old 04-29-08 | 03:13 PM
ISFTwins
Driver

I have owned a number of different Lexus models - RX300, IS300, RX330, RX350, GS350, IS350 and now an'08 ISF - For a short time I had an '07 335i sedan - a very nice car - with Premium and Sport Package, i-drive, HK sound etc.. After running into numerous problems with the bimmer, the dealer was finally forced into lemoning it three short months after driving off the lot.. I went straight back to Lexus and got another and still have had less problems with 9 Lexus cars than I did with one BMW, not to mention the very poor quality of service from the BMW dealership..

The M3 is clearly a great car and I would love to drive one someday - But, as a busy person who works everyday for my money and who does't have the time or patience to deal with reliability issues (bimmer), I think I'll stick with Lexus.

Not to disrespect or criticize the M3 drivers/admirers on this forum, this is just my personal experience.
Old 04-29-08 | 03:19 PM
dkaplan435
Instructor

My experience with BMW (1999 M3 Convertible) was great. It was a fantastic car, absoultely fantastic. I never had problems w/ the dealer either.

My experience with Lexus is the same. The IS350 was a great car, not as well handling as the M3. My IS-F handles fantastic, better than my old M3 and is obviously much faster. I'm sure it's pretty comparable to the M3, so the choice depends on your preferences.
Old 04-29-08 | 07:37 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Until someone dethrones the champ (M3), every new kid on the block will have to be compared to it until someone knocks the king out. Then even after that, there will the those that think the just defeated champ is still the best... so it's all personal taste and experience.
Old 04-30-08 | 09:57 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

I guess what I am surprised by is the number of people that don't just go and drive both cars. All car companies will have a few blunders come from the factory. I know a Lexus that was a lemon as well. If you are serious about spending 60k+ on a car than I suggest driving all of them that you can. Actually, Desert BMW was easier to get a test drive on a M3 than Lexus was with the IS-F. In fact I drove the **** out of that M3 on my drive. I figured if I was going to buy one than I want to see the limits of the car. We did a couple wild moves for a test drive. Stuff that would have been frowned upon at Lexus. I was told by my sales guy at BMW, "That is what these cars were meant for. Go ahead and do it." Lexus will barely let you take it off the lot from I saw. They were saying, "This car is so fast that the common person won't be able to handle it etc..." That is a bunch of crap really. I still want to drive a C63 when I get a chance to.
Old 04-30-08 | 10:07 AM
Tommy350
Lead Lap

^ very true... i test drove the 335i for my brother and the sales person was really cool bout what i was doing....i went to other dealers and did the same because i didn't really care what the salesperson said...test drove the cts and the sales person said you know you have to pay for the ticket if you get one hahahahah.... next time you go test drive a car just find a younger person and actually test drive it..your the customer you should be able to have fun
Old 04-30-08 | 10:24 AM
stevehifi
Driver School Candidate

I've driven both.. and it seems that the new M3 seems to lack a certain feeling that the IS-F exhibits. The M3 felt soft and boring to me.. whereas the IS-F felt aggressive and hardcore.. I liked it.

I have an M Coupe now and I can tell you that BMW reliability doesn't come close to a japanese car. I've had the car in twice for battery issues and I still have the odd electronic glitch here and there. I was waiting for the third battery issue, but it hasn't come yet (lemon law).