IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Cross drilled brake rotors collecting dust

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 04:22 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross drilled brake rotors collecting dust

Anyone noticing their a drill brakes collecting dust in the holes? They do this in the front rotors not rear. Do all cross drilled rotors do this? What used to be a hole is starting to close up unless I stick something in to clean it.
Old 05-19-08, 07:39 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

This is what I'm talking about

Old 05-19-08, 08:18 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, I saw that too on my car as I was about to wash her this weekend.
Peter
Old 05-19-08, 08:20 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Is it just on your fronts? My rears are pretty clean. If I stick a stick to clear them they open up again, but that's a lot of cleaning to do. I wonder if this is normal for cross drilled brakes in general or if it's the softness of the brake compound.
Old 05-19-08, 08:25 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, just fronts...it has more to do with the pad being used as it just emits soooooo much dust that the brakes don't clear. I do not recall other cross drilled rotors doing that...
Peter
Old 05-19-08, 08:34 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

I wonder if this will cause the front rotors to heat beyond original intention. Since the holes are blocked up it reduces the amount of area where the brakes can cool. My brakes are starting to squeal a bit when I come to a stop. These are high performance brakes so I am not surprised, but the brake dust in the holes surprises me.
Old 05-19-08, 09:05 PM
chikken
Lead Lap

Yeah, noticed it too...the excessive brake dust from the pads are both as bad, the front and rear. they should come out with a TSB....I hate cleaning my wheels every day to keep it clean. It seems like if there's not holes to cool it then it'll heat up a lot faster.
Old 05-19-08, 10:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

it's ok.... when you are driving, the dust will constantly fly off, you won't really "block" the ventilation. plus it's probably going to take quite some hard driving for you to get to that point anyway

chikken, this is a high performance vehicle, having aggressive brakes is expected (better be), meaning more brake dust
Old 05-19-08, 10:31 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

That means driled holes WORK! U are seeing the purpose of those holes! If all that dust would stay between rotor and pads it would make braking worse, so to compensate this problems, disk has holes to clean dust from brake surface of the disk.

It is absolutely normal. Why fronts? Because they get most of the braking force.
Old 05-19-08, 10:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by chikken
Yeah, noticed it too...the excessive brake dust from the pads are both as bad, the front and rear. they should come out with a TSB....I hate cleaning my wheels every day to keep it clean. It seems like if there's not holes to cool it then it'll heat up a lot faster.
Originally Posted by Audriuss
That means driled holes WORK! U are seeing the purpose of those holes! If all that dust would stay between rotor and pads it would make braking worse, so to compensate this problems, disk has holes to clean dust from brake surface of the disk.

It is absolutely normal. Why fronts? Because they get most of the braking force.

Hogwash. The holes are cosmetic. Period. There have been enough threads on this in the 2IS forum to whip this horse to a complete bloody pulp. Holes do nothing to improve braking performance. Ask Stoptech, Baer, Wilwood, AP, even Brembo (if they won't lie about it).

Quit worrying. It would be impossible to cause any damage to these brakes with street driving. If they'll lap Laguna Seca without issue, they'll take anything you can do to them on a public road.
Old 05-19-08, 11:48 PM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Hogwash. The holes are cosmetic. Period. There have been enough threads on this in the 2IS forum to whip this horse to a complete bloody pulp. Holes do nothing to improve braking performance. Ask Stoptech, Baer, Wilwood, AP, even Brembo (if they won't lie about it).

Quit worrying. It would be impossible to cause any damage to these brakes with street driving. If they'll lap Laguna Seca without issue, they'll take anything you can do to them on a public road.
when brakes are used in track, dust get cleared easily, but when performance type disks are used in street they don't clean itself dust so fast and all dust collect in those holes and get cleaned in time. That is what seen in pictures.

I am sure brembo, stoptech and all others talk about performance use of it and in track they definately don't need those holes, but while IS-F brakes are used for normal street driving, they tend to create more dust and stay on brake rottor that would make some bigger squeeking sound. In this case holes collect exesive dust that doesn't clear when brakes are not used so hard..it is just simple logic, nothing to invent here..
Old 05-20-08, 04:55 AM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

I thought the holes are to assist with venting of brake gases that build up on the rotors to prevent the floating effect under extreme braking and high temperatures.
Old 05-20-08, 04:58 AM
Audriuss
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ngl1145
I thought the holes are to assist with venting of brake gases that build up on the rotors to prevent the floating effect under extreme braking and high temperatures.
as someone said above, that brembo and many other manufactures state, it doesn't make any much different driled or not.

It has the function of cleaning brake dust from braking surface..
Old 05-20-08, 10:33 AM
ISFTwins
Driver

I usually just use a bit of high pressure water to get that out.. It really settles the whole debate .. Cleaning it out I am sure does no harm..
Old 05-20-08, 12:00 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

its normal, i dont have is-f but i do have BBK on my GS and same thing with my rotors for a long time does not effect anything

Quick Reply: Cross drilled brake rotors collecting dust