IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

my little review on is-f

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 03:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default my little review on is-f

so last friday and saturday i finally got the chance to drive the is-f hard. the event was a blast, and i just want to give my little 2 cents on the car

as lexus first attempt to high performance vehicle, i really have to give them a big A on the is-f. the car isn't "just" a IS chassis with a big engine and call it a day. the dynamic of the car as well as the capability is couple steps above the is350.

speed of course is one thing. the v8 roars especially with the 2nd intake, and it pushes you forward fast. but i think the handling is where i love the is-f most. it's superior compared to the is350, very tight cornering, better steering feel, hangs on very well, and most importantly, the vdim system is very different from other lexus i have driven.

the system is very forgiving even in normal mode, and in sport mode it just relaxes the limits by that much so you can have more fun sliding around without ruining the fun. it was clearing shown on the lead/follow. i had driven other lexus fast, even on laguna sega. it's different. the system kicks in much earlier.

the braking on the is-f is phenomenal as well, i love the feeling, and it's pretty much like all the bbk i have had on my cars. they are firm and linear, and most importantly they don't fade even tracks after tracks. talking to the instructor, he has driven m3 and the is-f and while he likes the m3 more, he says teh braking on the is-f is much better

now back to reality driving the car daily, i am not sure if that's the car i want to drive. maybe that's the difference between bmw. the several times i drove the is-f slowing, suddenly i felt like driving the is350. pretty loose steering, quiet, etc.... and then i thought about the 335 i drove (my friend's car) which i had fun even on local streets. assuming the m3 is at least the same as 335, it seems like i would have more fun in the m3 than is-f on normal daily driving.

so that's what i think about the is-f. great car and big plus on the track, but it gave me second thoughts about driving it every day in my life.

for sure it was fun to see 4.6mpg on the display after doing the track driving!
Old 06-03-08, 03:41 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good review. I would add that the comments about normal daily driving are the main reason I like the IS F so much. I have no problem giving the keys to my wife and letting her putt around in it in normal mode. When I had an E46 M3 with SMG she had too many issues trying to drive it that she basically couldn't use the car. And she can't drive a manual transmission either so forget the Porsche I used to have or being able to even consider the new M3 too. The split personality of the IS F fits our needs perfectly.
Old 06-03-08, 03:56 PM
ISFTwins
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah.. I haven't seen too many female M3 drivers.. especially with SMG.. My wife enjoys driving THE F too.. Her daily is the GS350, much more suited to her needs.. I drive the ISF and I use it daily and have a blast.. When I get off of work, I put it in sport mode and leave the frustrations of the day behind!
Old 06-03-08, 05:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by VelvetBlue
Good review. I would add that the comments about normal daily driving are the main reason I like the IS F so much. I have no problem giving the keys to my wife and letting her putt around in it in normal mode. When I had an E46 M3 with SMG she had too many issues trying to drive it that she basically couldn't use the car. And she can't drive a manual transmission either so forget the Porsche I used to have or being able to even consider the new M3 too. The split personality of the IS F fits our needs perfectly.
very good point mark. from that perspective is-f is a great car coz' everyone can just jump in and drive, unlike the smg for example where you almost have a manual for it
Old 06-03-08, 06:22 PM
calboy76
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by rominl
so last friday and saturday i finally got the chance to drive the is-f hard. the event was a blast, and i just want to give my little 2 cents on the car

as lexus first attempt to high performance vehicle, i really have to give them a big A on the is-f. the car isn't "just" a IS chassis with a big engine and call it a day. the dynamic of the car as well as the capability is couple steps above the is350.

speed of course is one thing. the v8 roars especially with the 2nd intake, and it pushes you forward fast. but i think the handling is where i love the is-f most. it's superior compared to the is350, very tight cornering, better steering feel, hangs on very well, and most importantly, the vdim system is very different from other lexus i have driven.

the system is very forgiving even in normal mode, and in sport mode it just relaxes the limits by that much so you can have more fun sliding around without ruining the fun. it was clearing shown on the lead/follow. i had driven other lexus fast, even on laguna sega. it's different. the system kicks in much earlier.

the braking on the is-f is phenomenal as well, i love the feeling, and it's pretty much like all the bbk i have had on my cars. they are firm and linear, and most importantly they don't fade even tracks after tracks. talking to the instructor, he has driven m3 and the is-f and while he likes the m3 more, he says teh braking on the is-f is much better

now back to reality driving the car daily, i am not sure if that's the car i want to drive. maybe that's the difference between bmw. the several times i drove the is-f slowing, suddenly i felt like driving the is350. pretty loose steering, quiet, etc.... and then i thought about the 335 i drove (my friend's car) which i had fun even on local streets. assuming the m3 is at least the same as 335, it seems like i would have more fun in the m3 than is-f on normal daily driving.

so that's what i think about the is-f. great car and big plus on the track, but it gave me second thoughts about driving it every day in my life.

for sure it was fun to see 4.6mpg on the display after doing the track driving!
very fair and balanced review. given myself is a new F owner, i have to say you pretty much hit the points, except i was not lucky enough to drive one on TRACK.... i am not sure i am ready to do that to my own car at this point, heheheh

other than that, i would like to say it's a great car. coming from E36 M3 and E46 M3 SMG, i have to say F is more suitable for my life style. when i want a lexus, it gives me one under 3500rpm, and when i want a wild lexus, it satisfies me

maybe people think a lexus is always jsut a lexus. it's never M3 or RS4 or C63 AMG. BUT maybe lexus doesn't want to be like M or AMG entirely. maybe they want to base on the success of M and try to come up with their version of "ultimate driving machine"

becuz that's what they have been doing and how they pretty much murder the large german cars such as S class and 7 series. their LS simply steals the luxury market from germans before they even know it
Old 06-03-08, 10:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ah, i forgot to talk about the tranny. it's fantastic, i love it. although it's more or less the "same" 8 speed from the ls460 (i had the car before), but the ecu setup for the is-f is so much better. the shifting is fast and precise, the blipping on down shift is awesome, and even though it has 8 gears, but i didn't find myself going through gears all the time. going back in my gs350 really makes me miss the is-f tranny
Old 06-04-08, 12:57 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

haha good review Henry!
Old 06-04-08, 01:20 AM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Nice write up Henry!
Old 06-04-08, 04:48 AM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Nice write up Henry!
Old 06-04-08, 09:10 AM
dbastidas0
Driver

What I like about the IS-F is that u really have to want to go fast to feel the power. If you are just an everyday driver and keep it in normal, chances are u wont even feel the second intake. But if u want to feel the power, that is accessible as well. My girlfriend when she first drove the car was a little nervous, but then she saw that u really had to step on the gas in order to feel it. Me, I normally just keep it in normal mode for my everyday driving (gas is to expensive and i dont like unneccisarily straining the engine). But the second someone pulls up next to me and they want some, thats when the power button and the IS-F comes out to play... =)
Old 06-04-08, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by dbastidas0
What I like about the IS-F is that u really have to want to go fast to feel the power. If you are just an everyday driver and keep it in normal, chances are u wont even feel the second intake. But if u want to feel the power, that is accessible as well. My girlfriend when she first drove the car was a little nervous, but then she saw that u really had to step on the gas in order to feel it. Me, I normally just keep it in normal mode for my everyday driving (gas is to expensive and i dont like unneccisarily straining the engine). But the second someone pulls up next to me and they want some, thats when the power button and the IS-F comes out to play... =)
curious, can you turn on sport mode while the car is in motion?

and since i had limited time on "normal" driving last weekend (most of the time was insane driving...), for the is-f owners, and hopefully those who have experience with is350, what's your comments on the difference between the two? again i am talking about normal daily driving, not when you gun it
Old 06-04-08, 10:53 AM
ISFTwins
Driver

Sport Mode can be turned on while in motion .. within a couple of seconds you can feel the increase in throttle response..
Old 06-04-08, 11:44 AM
testmetest
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to echo the comments of other people here. I've ridden in (and occasionally driven) friends ES, GS, and RX.

The ISF is still a Lexus. It has the great smooth quiet ride and fit & finish that I expect from a Lexus.

In normal and automatic, it's just like a regular Lexus for driving around town (perhaps the exhaust is just a little louder than it could be). It is an easy car for wives, parents, etc to drive. If they are worried about the pedal response, they can always turn it to the snow mode which dampens the pedal response even more.

I drive 99% of the time in normal and automatic. This does exactly what I want for round-the-town driving. Occasionally, at stop lights, highway ramps, coming up on passing lanes, etc, I flip to sports mode (yea, Rominl, it switches on the fly) and floor it for a few seconds.

And even more rarely then that, I put it in sports and manual. I usually don't bother with that because I think the transmission knows exactly what I want so far, but I admit to pretty much limiting the flooring-it aspect to straight lines or near straight lines.

I come from weak front wheel drives background so I'm a little cautious. It's interesting, I think I'm actually a more calmer driver now. I used to floor my old cars 100% of the time at lights, and pass as many people as possible, etc. But the ISF is so quiet and smooth, it's calming.
Old 06-04-08, 01:01 PM
dbastidas0
Driver

Before I had the IS-F I had the 350. The normal driving mode is almost the same. The only real diffrence that I occasionaly see, is that this transmission is a little smarter. For example, if u are driving a little aggressive in normal mode it will hold the gears. Of course in sport mode it does this to a much greater scale, but even in normal mode i caught it doing it once or twice when I was aggressive. It just feels that this car knows exactly what I want to do. Kudos lexus!
Old 06-04-08, 01:42 PM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

I think that is the IS-F's intent - an unassuming comfortable daily driver that turns into a beast once it hits the track. It's like Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde; one moment you're enjoying coffee while listening to classical music on the freeway, the next you're on the track and the empty coffee cup is tossing around violently on the ground while your windows are down as you listen to the music that is the V8 singing with the exhaust and intakes roaring in the background.

Quick Reply: my little review on is-f