IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

so really, BMW M3 or ISF?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 11:04 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matters what you are looking for in the car. If you ate looking for an all out track car the M3 is probably your best bet. If you are looking for a street car with track like performance, the ISF is the better choice. The ISF is a car with bipolar disorder. It drives as tame as a lexus when desired. But lashes out and becomes an animal when driving in sport mode and driving spiritedly.

They are so close performance wise it is really hard to call. Very different engines and different feels to be honest. The ISF is more of a torquey V8 while the bmw has the high rev V8, which deserves its own praise.

Street race, ISF wins. Track race, M3 by a hair.

I chose the ISF because of the total package: performance, reliability, looks, etc. Driving these cars is a must before choosing. Good luck.
Old 06-15-08, 12:11 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

haha my old high school class mate has both the new m3 and isf...a blue m3 and a black isf... probably driving around in San Marino or Arcadia...lol
Old 06-15-08, 12:15 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DRE1615
Matters what you are looking for in the car. If you ate looking for an all out track car the M3 is probably your best bet. If you are looking for a street car with track like performance, the ISF is the better choice. The ISF is a car with bipolar disorder. It drives as tame as a lexus when desired. But lashes out and becomes an animal when driving in sport mode and driving spiritedly.

They are so close performance wise it is really hard to call. Very different engines and different feels to be honest. The ISF is more of a torquey V8 while the bmw has the high rev V8, which deserves its own praise.

Street race, ISF wins. Track race, M3 by a hair.

I chose the ISF because of the total package: performance, reliability, looks, etc. Driving these cars is a must before choosing. Good luck.
I agree with you...I will soon be testing my friends m3 with the DCT...he just got it like a few days ago and I am trying to make him go to the SoCal Luau Meet this coming Sunday on June 22nd...heh

Oh and I managed to get under 13 secs with my IS-F like on Friday at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana (did 12 runs total)...the temp was 78 degrees at like 1030am got 12.929 at 110.48mph that was my first run...all other runs I couldn't match it, but I got another two laps under 13 secs...heh
Old 06-15-08, 12:33 PM
NovaIS350
Lexus Test Driver

If money was of no concern, I would be driving a Ferrari 599 or Aston Martin DB9.
Old 06-15-08, 04:02 PM
dbastidas0
Driver

Originally Posted by darkdream
The M3 cause the IS-F is too similar to the IS350 in design.... plus the M3 is a beautiful car...stared at it in person for like 5 minutes... people must have thought I was planning to steal it...
what are you talking about...????if anything the M3 looks exactly like the 335i just with quad exhaust.
Old 06-15-08, 04:06 PM
Supraman1
Driver School Candidate

I have on order a Alpine White with Fox red leather M3, that I just cancelled. Why?
Because I just bought a new IS-F. The Lexus just made me feel better. The paint quality of BMW and Mercedes is not near as good as Lexus. The other big plus was the sound, hands down the IS-F sounds better. The "I" drive still is a pain in the rear also. The Lexus has better paint more toys sounds better and just fits me better. No BMW for me until they can fix quality control issues.
Old 06-15-08, 04:09 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dbastidas0
what are you talking about...????if anything the M3 looks exactly like the 335i just with quad exhaust.
Have you seen it in person?
Old 06-15-08, 04:33 PM
LexFather

I have. Quite frankly both look odd from some angles and IMO I really can't pick one over the other. Both do look like pumped up versions of their less powerful brothers, not a complete different car.

The M3 without the 19's looks quite odd to me, it seriously needs the 19s. Both have hood bulges, creases and overall, just a lot of "HEY LOOK AT ME" styling.

THe RS4 is the least aggresive of all these cars, C63 included.

The E46 M3 trumps ALL OF THEM in the looks department by a landslide.
Old 06-15-08, 10:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have. imho if one can say the is-f and is350 are very similar in design, then so do the m3 and 335

but then again to me, i am able to distinguish them pretty easily
Old 06-15-08, 11:53 PM
i2IS
Pole Position

I would take IS-F over M3 Sedan, but M3 coupe over IS-F.
Not a big fan of 3- sedan
Old 07-05-08, 10:03 AM
Scottward
Driver

Originally Posted by f=ma
not actually owning it, but its a PITA to mod it. Actually hell, I've come from a long line of lexus, so yeah its a PITA to own a bimmer period. The morning after i brought it home, in the morning, with only 20 miles on it, i get a 5 sec crank and nearly **** my pants. I've been having crank issues lately, but my dealer refuse to fix it until something really bad happens.

back on topic, i chose the IS-F for that simple reason above.
Your fuel pump is probably going out. A common problem on the 335i, which starts with symptoms of long engine cranks. If the dealer refuses to replace it now, make sure your cell phone is charged for when it completely fails and leaves you stranded on the highway.

As for the OP, both are nice cars, but I can not believe how fuel inefficient the BMW 4.0 V8 is. I would go with the ISF based on fuel economy, much better interior and better powertrain warranty, although you will probably never need the latter.