IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

isf m3 isf m3 isf...ahhhhhh help me!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-08, 02:50 PM
geneva
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't forget about BIG price diff. M3 with same options as IS-f is $ 68,500 PLUS $ 1,300 gas guzzler bringing total to $ 70K. vs. $ 62,500. The 2-door is even more $$$. One other comment about quality, have seen several M3 sedans up close and noticed all had SIGNIFICANT orange peel in the paint. Totally unacceptable in this price range IMO. Lexus paint is flawless!!!!!
Old 07-01-08, 03:21 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

M3 sedans are already out?
Old 07-01-08, 03:29 PM
50ISF50
Rookie

They've been out for a while, but without double clutch transmissions
Old 07-01-08, 05:26 PM
nuttybar08
Driver

Originally Posted by geneva
don't forget about BIG price diff. M3 with same options as IS-f is $ 68,500 PLUS $ 1,300 gas guzzler bringing total to $ 70K. vs. $ 62,500. The 2-door is even more $$$. One other comment about quality, have seen several M3 sedans up close and noticed all had SIGNIFICANT orange peel in the paint. Totally unacceptable in this price range IMO. Lexus paint is flawless!!!!!
To be fair, a 6MT M3 sedan can be had for $5K-$6K off MSRP right now and those prices should only get better as the DCT models roll out. Still more expensive than the IS-F unless you leave off some goodies but M3 diehards aren't buying iDrive, EDC, comfort access, etc anyway. $62.5K for a loaded F is also too much but the invoice prices are far better to bargain from vs. the M3 and in any case should yield a substantially better negotiated price than the Bimmer.

As far as paint goes it's a night and day difference...BMW owners are perpetually *****ing about paint quality vs. other luxury brands and they have a legitimate gripe.
Old 07-01-08, 06:50 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by nuttybar08
To be fair, a 6MT M3 sedan can be had for $5K-$6K off MSRP right now and those prices should only get better as the DCT models roll out. Still more expensive than the IS-F unless you leave off some goodies but M3 diehards aren't buying iDrive, EDC, comfort access, etc anyway. $62.5K for a loaded F is also too much but the invoice prices are far better to bargain from vs. the M3 and in any case should yield a substantially better negotiated price than the Bimmer.

As far as paint goes it's a night and day difference...BMW owners are perpetually *****ing about paint quality vs. other luxury brands and they have a legitimate gripe.
I won't believe it until I see it. My friends M3 coupe was 75k. Thats 14k more than I paid for my ISF. It certainly isn't worth that much more $$$, IMO. Especially since everytime we line up I kick his ***. The DCT will only raise the price also.

Also, if you are going to leave out all that stuff, why not just save more money and buy a 335i, a dinan tune and go just as fast. If you just want to go fast buy an evo. There's more to an M3 or an ISF than speed. It's called refinement. Without all that stuff you just have a bone dry "racecar" that isn't as fast as everyone thinks. And has orange peel apparently and reliability issues. Sorry to spill the beans
Old 07-01-08, 08:23 PM
nuttybar08
Driver

Originally Posted by DRE1615
I won't believe it until I see it. My friends M3 coupe was 75k. Thats 14k more than I paid for my ISF. It certainly isn't worth that much more $$$, IMO. Especially since everytime we line up I kick his ***. The DCT will only raise the price also.

Also, if you are going to leave out all that stuff, why not just save more money and buy a 335i, a dinan tune and go just as fast. If you just want to go fast buy an evo. There's more to an M3 or an ISF than speed. It's called refinement. Without all that stuff you just have a bone dry "racecar" that isn't as fast as everyone thinks. And has orange peel apparently and reliability issues. Sorry to spill the beans
Don't know who you're debating with but if it's me you need to reread my post. 6MT (not DCT) sedans (not coupes) are getting the discounts (fact), although 6 MT coupes are also going for a smidge less than MSRP in softer markets. At any rate, I'm pretty much set to buy an IS-F for the all reasons you mention. If I was going to track the car and didn't have to care how much I spent on broken stuff then the M3 would be the hands-down winner. As it stands, the F is a better all-around street car and a much better long-term value.

But as long as we're spilling beans, there are enough IS-F's sitting on lots that getting a deal $1K-$2K over invoice shouldn't be any big trick at this point. We're definitely not talking C63 type waiting lists...
Old 07-02-08, 12:49 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for the IS-F because this is a Lexus forum.
Old 07-02-08, 01:13 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2slow
Go for the IS-F because this is a Lexus forum.
he's right. totally impartial and nonbiased.
Old 07-02-08, 01:27 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

IS-F cos you won't know if there is going to be another, unlike the M3 there will always be another model coming.

M3 cos it's an M3, can't really go wrong in the manual.

Neither, get the C63.
Old 07-03-08, 12:43 PM
milk242
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't go wrong with either, most people will not be taking these cars to the limit. It all comes down to brand loyalty, price, and comfort.

All in all, I'm leaning towards the is-f, can't beat lexus reliabilty and I hope someone can crack the is-f ecu or any toyota ecu.
Old 07-03-08, 07:27 PM
Supraman1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by geneva

I agree 100%, I have had BMW and the paint on the new cars including the M3 is bad, really bad. Orange peel. Lexus knows how to paint. I had a M3 on order and drove the new C63 but the IS-f fit me better. I got to flog all of them including the overpriced Audi. The Lexus is awesome.
Old 07-03-08, 09:07 PM
Namir
Lead Lap

Both are fine cars, go with BMW if you want a manual and are more of a driving enthusiast (not a car enthusiast, DRIVING enthusiast) Go with the Lexus if you want something that is luxurious, unique, and still able to haul a s s.

And personally I think the E90 rear looks horrendous but the E92 is a looker.
Old 07-03-08, 11:04 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

That's nuts, I don't see how anyone could say the IS-F is not a drivers car.
Old 07-05-08, 09:01 AM
Scottward
Driver

Go for the BMW with the gas guzzler tax FTL!!!

Old 07-05-08, 10:21 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

man....I had a friend I met yesterday get a M3 Coupe with DCT, and the car was fully loaded. Price was 81k out the door...haha...that's crazy cuz I paid 67K out the door for my car...so I guess I am happy based upon the difference in price, but I still do like the M3 Coupe. However, I will just wait for the craze to die down for the Nissan GTR and get that next...heh

Quick Reply: isf m3 isf m3 isf...ahhhhhh help me!