IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Borla Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08, 05:46 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks we'll see in a couple of weeks the final product. I am sure its going to be good. I am guessing a complete cat back system(primary headers back), x pipe, straight pipe, with the secondary cats removed. The 18-25 whp is considering a 17% drivetrain loss.

Last edited by LexISguy; 09-02-08 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-04-08, 11:23 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Thanks we'll see in a couple of weeks the final product. I am sure its going to be good. I am guessing a complete cat back system(primary headers back), x pipe, straight pipe, with the secondary cats removed. The 18-25 whp is considering a 17% drivetrain loss.
I had a Borla exhaust on my NSX and it was fantastic.

Unfortunately, Borla has been really bad about delivering product to the Porsche community as of late. Their exhaust for the 997S has been "ready" for months now. But a move from CA to TN (?) and logistical problems have really thrown a monkey wrench in the works.
Old 09-04-08, 06:01 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

I got an email from Greg Weiss from borla stating to check back in about 30 for a part number and price. We'll see I am quoting them.

We are still about 30 days away from completion of the system for the IS-F. Please check back at the beginning of next month. We should have a part number and price by them.
Old 09-04-08, 07:00 PM
rutiger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking at the stock system one could imagine that a well designed aftermarket system could be more efficient. true dual pipes, get rid of the second cats, etc. curious how they're going to deal with the second cats and the o2 sensors. 5-7% gain? i'll believe it when i see it. and by see it i mean a few different dyno sources. i typically only buy exhaust for sound and visual improvements. if there's a bit more power all the better. i already like the sound of the stock system (which i've never said on any car i've owned) and you can't see it, so that part of the equation is null.

i'm very anxious to see what they release. i've had borlas on my vettes and gto and liked them all very much.
Old 09-05-08, 09:27 AM
Vimal
Driver School Candidate

Well, I removed the axel-back and gained 25whp on the dyno. I would hope this cat-back system would gain the same if not more power.
Old 09-05-08, 10:37 AM
Zexnos
Driver

^^^^^ That is crazy. Please post some details/chart from that session.
Old 09-05-08, 12:03 PM
houstonT
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vimal - Hennessey also saw approximately the same gains by removing the exhaust. I will check to see if I have his before/after graphs and will post them when I get home (if I have them)
Peter
Old 09-05-08, 12:14 PM
Supraman16
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Vimal
Well, I removed the axel-back and gained 25whp on the dyno. I would hope this cat-back system would gain the same if not more power.
The thing is with natural aspirated engines is that you may gain some HP with the larger exhaust, or removal of it all together, but you may lose a substantial amount of torque due the fact that natually aspirated engines need some backpressure. This happened when I changed the exhaust of my GS400 to a Greddy PowerExtreme exhaust...it did gain some HP up high, but definately lost some torque in the lower range. Honestly, I missed the low end torque of my GS. Hopefully the Borla exhaust will be well designed to show both HP and torque gains thoughout the RPM's. If not, I for one am very content with the current stock exhaust system and will stay with it.
Old 09-05-08, 12:25 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Me too I'd like to see the results.
Old 10-03-08, 08:26 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Bump any news?
Old 10-05-08, 06:38 PM
rutiger
Rookie

just emailed them last week and got the generic "a few more weeks" response
Old 10-06-08, 05:02 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

A couple of more weeks we'll see. Joe Z has developed his intake/exhaust combo I really like it 22whp from the exhasut alone. I wonder how borla will compare? I'm gonna wait for them to release their product then make a decision. There are about 3 other companies attending SEMA working on an exhaust I believe. Will they will make about the same amount of power?
Old 10-11-08, 07:50 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

bump bump again, hopefull borla goes with the X pipe and removal of the secondary cats design like JoeZ and of course with similar power gains. BTW its been like 3 months ago with Borla industries saying check back in 30 days..LOL I haven't heard anything. Has anyone have any new info? SEMA is right around the corner..
Old 10-25-08, 07:54 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

bump......
Old 10-28-08, 11:42 AM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats going to be awesome, i wonder what design they are going to go with for the exhaust tips

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust