IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Only Owner Of Isf-500 On Guam

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-08, 03:18 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face I Understand Now

Oh Ok That Explains Why I Haven't Seen One Driven Around The Island Since I Bought My Car
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-08, 03:40 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Talking Why Isf-500 Is Called Isf-500

The Previous Cars Were IS-250's, IS-350's And This One Is Called An ISF-500 At Least That Was What Was Written On The Sales Slip As Well As The Insurance Information, And The Vehicle Registration. ALSO I THINK IT IS BECAUSE IT IS EQUIPPED WITH A 5.0 LITER ENGINE. IS-250 BECAUSE 2.5 LITER ENGINE AND IS-350 BECAUSE IT HAS A 3.5 LITER ENGINE. HOPEFULLY I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION.
Attached Images  
Old 07-14-08, 03:55 PM
tastemydus
Driver

HEY dbastidas0 IF YOU READ REPLY NUMBERED 17 YOU WILL UNDERSTAND WHY IT IS CALLED AN ISF-500
Old 07-17-08, 10:18 AM
IZZO2FIZZO
Lead Lap

http://www.motortrend.com/future/spi...500/index.html
Old 07-17-08, 07:22 PM
Fa-suto
Pole Position

They have a racetrack on Guam now? Wow, it's been awhile, I was stationed at Andersen AFB back in the days and miss the place. Small place when you look at it from a bird's eye view.

You have more miles on your car then me and you live on an island! Congrats on your purchase.
Old 07-22-08, 08:03 PM
PharmISee
Driver

Maybe if Chu didnt test drive your car, you could have been in the 12's. haha!
Old 07-23-08, 08:14 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Originally Posted by ChuH
tastemydus:

So your the military guy that bought it. I saw you at the Lexus event. I was forced to be the first driver to take it to the track at the event by Lexus sales manager. I took your IS-F out for a quick drive when it landed on Guam. Had about 30 miles on it then. Don't worried didn't abuse it (luckly too many traffic during the test drive). I was given the blue IS-F to take home instead over the weekend put about 150 miles on it (a bit of hard driving).

Yes, I am on Guam and I drive a 2001 GS430 (longest I ever kept a car). And no I don't take my car to the track. It is a cruiser. Never enter in the HIN either. Are you referring to the Silver Turbo Aristo (Japanese domestic model)? If so that is brought in by Xavier (Lexus shop foreman) from Japan a couple of years ago. I guess Xavier sold it Zip (don't know who he is either).

I spoke to Dave Toves and he said there is still a couple of IS-F still on Guam. What most of these owners are doing is drive a few miles and ship it off island as used car to avoid taxes.

Chu...
Chu,

If I remember correctly you were the first one to take the blue one on the track. I was at the rack before pretty much everyone to make sure my car wasn't abused. It was test driven but not on the track. I went up there super early just to ensure that didn't happen. Some people test drove it but not like that blue on. I feel sorry for that owner cuz he didn't see what his car went through. Anyways I found some aftermarket parts that should get me down to mid 11's. Stand Bye Chu.
Old 07-24-08, 06:21 PM
ArticKnght
Advanced

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

The pictures that are posted above have a very similar styling when you compair it to the M3 I think. I am glad tbat they did not go this route with the body styling. Yes, I like the stacked quad tailpipes Its unique and different.
Old 08-04-08, 10:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by tastemydus
The Previous Cars Were IS-250's, IS-350's And This One Is Called An ISF-500 At Least That Was What Was Written On The Sales Slip As Well As The Insurance Information, And The Vehicle Registration. ALSO I THINK IT IS BECAUSE IT IS EQUIPPED WITH A 5.0 LITER ENGINE. IS-250 BECAUSE 2.5 LITER ENGINE AND IS-350 BECAUSE IT HAS A 3.5 LITER ENGINE. HOPEFULLY I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION.
The Lexus IS-F is recognized as the IS-F not only in America, but worldwide, including the homeland in Japan. The IS-F 500 is a typographical error someone made in your local government/municipality or even your local dealership because they did not know any better. Since your insurance carrier goes off of your local government's records, that's the reason why you find it titled that way. It's recognized as the IS-F. Not IS500 or IS-F 500.

I was very fortunate to be flown to Detroit to witness this live and in person. I was in the front row of that conference room when the IS-F was first unveiled to the world. I also met him and Chief Yaguchi-san that day. Below is text of Bob Carter's (GM of Lexus USA at the time) speech about the IS-F when it was first unveiled to the world in Detroit back in January 2007.

Originally Posted by Bob Carter, Lexus GM and Group VP

01/08/2007
Bob Carter
Lexus Group Vice President and General Manager
Lexus IS-F and LF-A Press Conference
2007 North American International Auto Show, Detroit
January 8, 2007

Thank you, Irv, and good morning everyone. Welcome to day two of what has become the industry's most important and most exciting annual auto show.

Now, we're especially pleased that you could join us here today because we've got not one, but two special vehicles to show you. They're very different vehicles, to be sure, but they come from the same DNA, from the same design philosophy, and they have the same heritage.

And while their purpose isn't to dispel myths or to counter points of view, that is, in fact, what these cars do. We realize that to some, Lexus vehicles are perceived simply as mainstream luxury vehicles, but today we will change those perceptions and introduce a new Lexus marque. The marque is the Lexus "F."

Most people do not know that when the idea of Lexus was first conceived 20 years ago, the original project was internally coded "Circle-F." The Circle-F designation evolved into the name Flagship One, or F1, which became the code for our very first car, the LS.

Since then, the "F" has signified a special vehicle program within the Lexus corporate development system. These are vehicles that needed to venture down a unique path with different standards than other vehicles. This brings me to the first of two new F-designated cars that we will show you today.

You first saw the LF-A, an exercise aimed at defining the supercar concept, at this show two years ago. We were very pleased with the response it generated. After the buzz of excitement following that show, something interesting happened-the LF-A grew a second life.

Instead of letting it go the way of most concept cars, rotting away under a tarp in a warehouse somewhere, the ideas represented by the LF-A seemed to us like a great story might seem to you. The LF-A was similar to a story that sat, not yet published for a while.

Perhaps you've experienced this. After a time you've revisited the story, given it another edit, a fresh think, if you will. And lo and behold, the piece was even better than it was before.

That's what's happened with the LF-A, and that's why we're here to show you the next evolution of that vehicle, which now proudly wears the "F" marque.

(LF-A Reveal)

Our goals with the new LF-A are no different than they were with the original concept: To build a supercar with world-class performance. We thought about what a supercar should be, and then started to design what a Lexus version of a luxury exotic could be.

As with all new Lexus cars, the styling of the LF-A is rooted in a design direction we call L-finesse. This concept was used to reshape, re-detail, and redefine the latest iteration. Lexus has further refined the styling of the new LF-A to enhance its exotic nature with a greater use of curved surfaces and interesting details.

The LF-A is powered by a high-revving 500-plus horsepower V10 engine, a powerplant that will produce the kind of exhaust note that any car enthusiast will love. In addition, its front mid-engine placement, along with a rear-mounted transaxle and rear-mounted radiators, allow for excellent weight distribution.

Over 500 horsepower, superior aerodynamics, and revised styling make a top speed of 200 mph not only possible but probable.

The first LF-A was a pure concept, but one we went so far as to do engineering analysis on at our Higashi Fuji Technical Center and on the track at Fuji Speedway. This latest concept is much closer to a vehicle that we would bring to market and one we will be gauging consumer interest in. It's also one I'd love to have parked in my own garage.

So that's a look at what we have for you for, perhaps, tomorrow. But how about today?
That brings me to the very first Lexus production vehicle deserving of the "F" marque.

It's certainly fast, as you will see when you are able to conduct your road tests, and it absolutely conforms to the Lexus formula of car building.

Well, sort of. Actually, it deviates from the usual Lexus formula in one important way.

Rather than being the product of a carefully plotted and approved corporate plan, this car is, in the best tradition of the factory-based hotrod, the result of an effort by a "Skunk Works" team, a covert operation populated by a team of, well, rogue engineers.

These are free-thinking performance freaks who developed their own vision for a Lexus performance car, a carefully planned and engineered vehicle that was not part of our carefully planned corporate program.

They developed this vehicle while endorsing the "Lexus Musts," a rigorous set of development standards. We also added a couple of additional Musts, the sort of Musts that you might expect hard-core enthusiasts to demand:

Must be balanced. Must be authentic. And, most importantly, Must haul a**.
And here it is, ladies and gentlemen, the all-new 2008 Lexus IS-F…
(IS-F Reveal)

The IS-F is based on the proven rear-wheel-drive Lexus IS, so it begins life with what we think of as an excellent foundation. But as good as the standard IS is, our performance-crazed engineers weren't satisfied.

So they developed a performance-tuned 5.0-liter 400-plus horsepower V8 engine with more than 350 foot-pounds of torque, topped with specially engineered heads and fed by a two-stage intake manifold. This is the fire-breather our guys very carefully inserted into the IS platform. It certainly makes me smile just to think of it.

But it gets better. Because you've got to put all that power to the ground, the world's first eight-speed direct sport-shift transmission was developed.

In keeping with the demands of today's market, the IS-F has a unique gear box which features an advanced Manual mode. A pair of paddles located within a fingertip's reach behind the steering wheel give the driver full control to make ultra-fast up-shifts. Gear changes come in a tenth of a second.

A new torque-converter lock-up control was developed. This new design allows for a very direct, crisp gear change through the constant lock-up of the torque converter in second through eighth gears. The torque converter also allows for great launch ability for fast standing-start acceleration. Downshifts, meanwhile, are accompanied by incredibly precise throttle blips to match engine RPM to vehicle speed.

For all that high-speed driving, the all-new IS-F is equipped with engine oil and transmission fluid coolers, as well as a cylinder head scavenging oil pump for high
g-force driving.

With a zero-to-60 time of less than 4.9 seconds, what goes must also stop. So for brakes, we went with the very best we could find, Brembo.

Designed to Lexus specifications, the brakes consist of huge, 14.2-inch cross-drilled front discs gripped by rigid, powerful six-piston aluminum calipers and 13.6-inch rear cross-drilled discs that use two-piston calipers. We dropped in high-friction brake pads and were so excited about the end results we even put our name on the calipers.

The size of those brake discs should provide a clue about the IS-F's wheel size. The wheels are custom-designed and built, again to our specifications, by BBS. They are standard 19-inch forged alloy wheels clad with fat, sticky high-performance sport tires that cling to the pavement the way paint clings to a wall.

To extract the most from this wheel-and-tire combo, and to make the most of the power and flexibility of the IS-F's engine/transmission combination, the already excellent IS suspension was modified in a way that makes the car ready for track days, and lowers the entire vehicle by a full inch when compared to other IS models.
The shocks, springs, bushings, roll-bars, and even the steering tuning were designed exclusively for the "F" model.

In addition to those modifications, an all-new three mode version of our Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management system, or VDIM, was engineered specifically for this car. In Sport mode, the VDIM system allows the driver to push it even further before the safety features and traction control systems kick in. Or, if you want a real test of talent, just turn it off completely.

The result is a car with more grip, more responsiveness, more driver feedback, and more agility than anything we've ever produced.

With all this attention to performance, we didn't forget that this car should make a visual impact, something that differentiates it from the standard IS. To that end we provided it with dual exhausts with quad-tail pipes that will produce that wonderful aggressive exhaust note we expect of powerful V8s. The IS-F features wider front fenders, grille, and rear-deck spoiler. We even had to redesign a larger hood and lower intake just to fit and cool the bigger engine.

All this wrapped around an interior that offers specially shaped and trimmed seats that hold the driver comfortably and securely in place. The sport seats are available in black or a unique high-contrast white and black trim.

I mentioned earlier how the IS-F came about in a most unusual way for a Lexus vehicle. You know, industry history has shown us that some of the best cars ever built wouldn't exist if they had followed company development rules. The original Pontiac GTO and the first Corvette are examples of cars that wouldn't have been developed if someone didn't break the rules and champion their cause.

I'd like to introduce you to our rule breaker and the person most responsible for the development of the all-new IS-F, Chief Engineer Yukihiko Yaguchi. Yaguchi-san …

Yaguchi-san did not want to simply build an "IS 500." That would have been too easy
. He wanted to create a true performance sedan in a uniquely Lexus way … and he did.

So, the IS-F takes "F" to a whole new meaning for the Lexus lineup by becoming a performance marque all its own. Think of the "F" no longer as a mere letter code, but as an exclamation point.

Now I'm sure you are wondering what our next "F" marque car will be. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long, or look too far, for that announcement.

You can expect to see the all-new IS-F in dealer showrooms around this time next year, but you'll have to get in line behind me for the first test drive. Thank you all for joining us today. It's now my pleasure to turn the stage back over to Irv.
Old 09-17-08, 02:09 AM
Lextasy671
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sup fellas, i was at the Lexus ISF launch, and man did they really abuse that blue one. my friend and i test drove the red one..we couldnt floor da sucker cuz there were too much cars and not enuff room. hahaha! but anyways, dat time i drove the red one, i heard it was sold already...dont know who it was tho and havent seen the car since.
Old 09-17-08, 07:05 AM
tastemydus
Driver

Talking I know

Originally Posted by Lextasy671
sup fellas, i was at the Lexus ISF launch, and man did they really abuse that blue one. my friend and i test drove the red one..we couldnt floor da sucker cuz there were too much cars and not enuff room. hahaha! but anyways, dat time i drove the red one, i heard it was sold already...dont know who it was tho and havent seen the car since.
I was the lucky one cuz I was the last one to test drive the blue one. I smoked the **** out of the tires and beat that car like it was a hooker from Thailand. After I was done the car couldn't be driven because there wasn't anything left of the rear tires. You could almost see the metal part of the wheel. I sort of felt bad for the owner because he/she didn't even know that the car was going to be rapped like that. Anyways I got over it and the owner probably never was told.
Old 09-17-08, 10:36 AM
dbastidas0
Driver

its still not called the IS-F 500...I dont care if it has a 5.0 and the other one were the 250 and the 350 because it had a 2.5 and the 3.5. They dont call the bmw M3 a bmw 342. Its the M3. Just like the IS-F. Yes it has a 5.0 but the F class is its own style. There not gonna call the LF-A the L480, its the LF-A. Yes there was a concept car called the IS-500 as seen on the pics above, but that and the IS-F are two completly diffrent cars as seen on the body. No where will you find that on any official lexus sight or company will they call the IS-F the IS-F 500...I mean not that I can give two craps about the name but just so you dont keep saying it and sound misinformed. They dont call the M3 the BMW M3 342..
And nowhere on my sales slip or insurance information or registration does it say IS-F 500. Does anyone's else say that outside of the one in GUAM..
Old 09-17-08, 11:01 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

congrats on the purchase
Old 09-17-08, 01:00 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by dbastidas0
its still not called the IS-F 500...I dont care if it has a 5.0 and the other one were the 250 and the 350 because it had a 2.5 and the 3.5. They dont call the bmw M3 a bmw 342. Its the M3. Just like the IS-F. Yes it has a 5.0 but the F class is its own style. There not gonna call the LF-A the L480, its the LF-A. Yes there was a concept car called the IS-500 as seen on the pics above, but that and the IS-F are two completly diffrent cars as seen on the body. No where will you find that on any official lexus sight or company will they call the IS-F the IS-F 500...I mean not that I can give two craps about the name but just so you dont keep saying it and sound misinformed. They dont call the M3 the BMW M3 342..
And nowhere on my sales slip or insurance information or registration does it say IS-F 500. Does anyone's else say that outside of the one in GUAM..
bro you're a tad late with your enlightening comments. I was already corrected and since then you won't see any posts where I wrote IS-F 500, but I am so happy that you felt you needed to remind me that I am going to give you not one but two thumbs up ALSO FOR THOSE THAT ARE INTERESTED I HAVE ATTACHED MY BILL OF SALE JUST TO SHOW THAT IT ACTUALLY SAYS IS-F 500 SO I AM NOT IMAGINING THINGS. THAT WAS TYPED ON SALES SLIP. MORE THEN LIKELY THE DEALERSHIP MADE A MISTAKE. I ONLY CALLED IT IS-F 500 IN THE BEGINNING BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT IT SAID ON THE BILL OF SALES. SORRY I THOUGHT THE DEALER KNEW WHAT THEY WERE TALKING ABOUT
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Doc3.doc (126.0 KB, 194 views)

Last edited by tastemydus; 09-17-08 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-17-08, 06:00 PM
dbastidas0
Driver

no worries...maybe i was a tad late sorry.