IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

08 BMW M3 DCT vs 08 Lexus ISF

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 12:14 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Then I guess everyone's definition of an "automatic" must be different too...

I look at it this way, if you drive having to use both arms and both legs, then it's a manual (both arms not meaning one on steering wheel and one on cell phone, and both legs not meaning one of gas and one on brake, or out the window). If you only need one foot and one arm to drive the car, it's an "automatic"
its whether there is torque converter or not.
Old 10-25-09, 11:00 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the DCT has been improved in '09 and a new program for the 08 models. The dual clutch is pretty impressive, drove one this weekend!
Old 10-25-09, 11:27 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ES3
I think the DCT has been improved in '09 and a new program for the 08 models. The dual clutch is pretty impressive, drove one this weekend!
they had a major recall to fix it, like a year ago showing how old this thread is
Old 10-26-09, 08:04 AM
Cabinetman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by calboy76
please please do let us know how it drives compared to our F's by starting a new thread, ok?

appreciate it
I plan to do a full comparison once my M-DCT equipped E90 is past the break in stage.
Old 10-26-09, 11:50 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually this is simpler, an automatic transmission is the one that can shift for you, regardless of the technology used (dual clutch or torque converter). In this case the new M3 DCT is an automatic car.

Originally Posted by f=ma
its whether there is torque converter or not.
Old 10-26-09, 12:32 PM
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Received 358 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
Actually this is simpler, an automatic transmission is the one that can shift for you, regardless of the technology used (dual clutch or torque converter). In this case the new M3 DCT is an automatic car.
So when you put it into paddle mode the transmission is no longer an automatic but a manual?
What if it only downshifts but doesn't upshift? Is it... "manumatic" lol! I crack myself up
Old 10-26-09, 02:09 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you put it into paddle mode, are you switching trannies? When you let the DCT M3 in "auto" mode, did BMW had a second tranny under the car? Do all the variants you want, move the shifter to M, downshift and let it upshift for you, etc., they're nothing more than software options to an automatic tranny. If the tranny is not capable to shift gears up and down but you need to do it, then it's a manual.

Originally Posted by vraa
So when you put it into paddle mode the transmission is no longer an automatic but a manual?
What if it only downshifts but doesn't upshift? Is it... "manumatic" lol! I crack myself up
Old 10-26-09, 03:35 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Juanca
When you put it into paddle mode, are you switching trannies? When you let the DCT M3 in "auto" mode, did BMW had a second tranny under the car? Do all the variants you want, move the shifter to M, downshift and let it upshift for you, etc., they're nothing more than software options to an automatic tranny. If the tranny is not capable to shift gears up and down but you need to do it, then it's a manual.
I think people try to say the DCT is an automated manual b/c it uses two clutches, one for even gears and one for odd, and one includes reverse as well. That being said, the shifting and power delivery is the same as a manual. And by that I mean with the use of live clutches and the absence of a torque converter. It is just a fancy way of saying I drive an automatic M3. Just b/c the car shifts different than an auto but the driver does just as much or as little as a driver using an auto tranny, doesn't make it a manual. Sorry
Old 10-26-09, 04:18 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its very simple....

2 pedalos (LOL) = Automatic

3 pedalos (LOL) = Manual transmission, needing human intervention to go anywhere! : )

Actually, you need human intervention to even start the car, but you get the point!