IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

SRT Intake & Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-08, 07:40 AM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm skeptical of any large gains that are claimed. It just doesn't make sense to me that Lexus/Toyota engineers would leave performance like that on the table. I can understand maybe a slight improvement where the original engineers might have tried to save cost and aftermarket engineers can eek out a small gain for additional cost.
Old 07-28-08, 01:37 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like somebody's just going to have to take the plunge for us to find out. Is there someway to manipulate a dyno graph to show performance gains when there really weren't any?? I can't think of any. I feel like 20-25 combined is realistic but not 20 rwhp just for an intake. But then again, the intake tubing is somewhat curvy and maybe it justs plain eliminates that.

I'm still a little skeptical and won't buy anything quite yet. But I want more power and very very soon.
Old 07-28-08, 02:17 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

IMHO - The car does not need more power but it could be made to perform better. It needs less weight and lower/tighter suspension. There is plenty of power already and you would be investing a good deal of money for a little more power and will not have addressed the real shortcomings.
Old 07-28-08, 02:22 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

I just received an email back from SRT, here's what it said:

-Videos of the dyno runs will be up this week.
-The intake replaces the entire stock system making it a single stage intake now, not the two stage from before.
-As far a reliability issues: We have had no issues to date. We keep a log of customers and which version of programming they receive in case future updates need to be made.

All in all it sounds legit. Just lettin you guys know. Take it easy
Old 07-28-08, 02:29 PM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DRE1615
As far a reliability issues: We have had no issues to date.
How long has it been on the car? A week or two?
Old 07-28-08, 02:48 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DRE1615
Looks like somebody's just going to have to take the plunge for us to find out. Is there someway to manipulate a dyno graph to show performance gains when there really weren't any?? I can't think of any. I feel like 20-25 combined is realistic but not 20 rwhp just for an intake. But then again, the intake tubing is somewhat curvy and maybe it justs plain eliminates that.

I'm still a little skeptical and won't buy anything quite yet. But I want more power and very very soon.
What could the SRT AAFC (Advanced Air Fuel Computer) used to optimize settings in conjunction with a real High Flow Intake system do for the car? Is it an air fuel controller that helps get the max out of the intake? Anybody have an Idea?

P.S. I also called them to ask about the gas they used for the car and they said it was the standard premium that was in the car, which I believe is 93 octane since it was done in Maryland? Also, I asked for the dyno about the SAE correction and they said something about the car being dynoed in standard form, which I don't know what they mean by that...lol

Last edited by CrazyMPG; 07-28-08 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 02:55 PM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spoke to Moe from SRT today I went ahead and ordered my Intake, there is a backlog and I should recieve it by mid August. I asked him how they managed 20whp he said unlike other intakes theres comes with an AAFC(Advanced Air Fuel Computer) which recalibrates the air/fuel ratio at all rpm's. Sort of like an ecu to let the engine breathe better. They are a reputable company, they have been making intakes/exhausts and turbo's for the IS300 since the begining. As for the videos Moe said the guy was on vaction and will post them up when he gets back. I am also in the market for a cat back exhaust, there's removes the secondary catalytic converters. I am waiting for Borla to release there exhaust and compare there product against SRT's. I'll keep everyone posted when I get my intake. SRT is running a special $599 till the end of the month, then its $799. Take care everyone.

Last edited by LexISguy; 07-28-08 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-28-08, 04:42 PM
Mrbig
Lead Lap

okay sounds great cant wait for the video.......
Old 07-28-08, 06:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,072 Likes on 2,468 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
I spoke to Moe from SRT today I went ahead and ordered my Intake, there is a backlog and I should recieve it by mid August. I asked him how they managed 20whp he said unlike other intakes theres comes with an AAFC(Advanced Air Fuel Computer) which recalibrates the air/fuel ratio at all rpm's. Sort of like an ecu to let the engine breathe better. They are a reputable company, they have been making intakes/exhausts and turbo's for the IS300 since the begining. As for the videos Moe said the guy was on vaction and will post them up when he gets back. I am also in the market for a cat back exhaust, there's removes the secondary catalytic converters. I am waiting for Borla to release there exhaust and compare there product against SRT's. I'll keep everyone posted when I get my intake. SRT is running a special $599 till the end of the month, then its $799. Take care everyone.
The power isn't coming from the new tube, it's coming from tighter A/F ratios. Lexus leaves a lot on the table to ensure fewer warranty claims. All the manufacturers run rich from the factory for this reason. Too rich always beats too lean if you have to warranty an engine.

So, they're tightening up the A/F ratio with their controller and that's where the real power gains are. I bet you could hook up their device to a completely stock car and it would immediately make more power.
Old 07-28-08, 06:35 PM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts
Default So the CAI includes software as well?

Lexisguy,

let us know how it goes.
Old 07-28-08, 11:24 PM
stick
Pole Position

This SRT intake is like all other SRT intakes. The black box (that you have to splice into the car's ecu) will lean the engine and advance timing to increase performance. I had one on my IS300.

If this one eliminates the secondary intake, I would like to see what was done to keep it open or to redirect air to this new primary one.

For $600, I would spend my money on body braces or other stuff.

Oh, and find out what gear they dynoed in. Hopefully it was the 1:1 gear, which I think is 6th.
Old 07-29-08, 05:16 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

So since this intake is wired to change A/F ratios are we assuming this will void warranties???
Old 07-29-08, 07:21 AM
VelvetBlue
Lead Lap

I would imagine you would have some 'splaining to do if you had engine issues and rolled in to service and expected it to be covered under warranty after this mod.
Old 07-29-08, 08:29 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a sample video of the dyno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgP4jYCsgjM

Last edited by LexISguy; 07-29-08 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-29-08, 09:46 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

This discussion seems awfully similar to the discussions of the SRT intake for the 2GS so many years ago. I never bought the intake (I did buy their SC) so I can't say anything about it directly but what is noteworthy is that they have sold a lot of intakes over the years, they are still around offering turbo kits for the 1IS and Mo really does know his stuff.

FWIW...

Quick Reply: SRT Intake & Exhaust