IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wish me luck, might be owning one tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-08, 10:51 PM
larrysb
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wish me luck, might be owning one tomorrow

Well, I laid eyes on a ISF in a color I like, still in the wrappers, put my name on it. Going to back to try and make a deal on it Saturday afternoon. Told them not to unwrap it or wash it until then. Weird that way, I'd rather do it myself.

If we can arrive at numbers that make me happy, and I'm tough, I'll be in the ISF. Otherwise, I'm happy to stay in my Corvette a little longer. The other thing I'm thinking is lightly used 997 Porsche. That market has taken a cliff dive, big time. A 911 Cabrio would be pretty darn sweet, even if it is slightly used.

Last edited by larrysb; 07-25-08 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-26-08, 01:01 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

goooooooooooood luck
Old 07-26-08, 03:53 PM
larrysb
Driver

No deal.

Just couldn't get the numbers to work.
Old 07-26-08, 04:36 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

What was their offers? My bro is looking for an isf also.
Old 07-26-08, 08:53 PM
larrysb
Driver

Mission accomplished got a smoking deal on a silver ISF at another dealer. Couldn't make deal on blue. More details later. Time for dinner.
Old 07-26-08, 10:17 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ThoLe
What was their offers? My bro is looking for an isf also.
I'd be interested to know this too, although many Lexus dealers still appear to be annoyingly greedy with them. I'm looking to buy a new one in the Chicago area shortly and sent out some inventory requests via the web interface, noting that I was contacting several dealers and would first visit the one who gave me the lowest negotiable price - and one of the dealers actually quoted MSRP! What a joke...
Old 07-26-08, 11:06 PM
flossn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by larrysb
Mission accomplished got a smoking deal on a silver ISF at another dealer. Couldn't make deal on blue. More details later. Time for dinner.

Congrats,not to be rude but it doesn't surprise me, it seems like all lexus has is silver cars, I mean you search the cpo's and autotrader and all you see is silver lexus's.
Old 07-27-08, 12:30 AM
larrysb
Driver

Some more info on the deal. I had looked at the ISF, initially planning to buy silver. But after looking at all the non-colors, (black white, silver, grey), had a yearning to see red and blue. Reds are not being produced for the Western USA in the next 90 days. What exists in red is already on the dealer lots. My local Lexus dealer where my wife got her RX400 last year (when hybrids weren't seling) had at least 8 ISF's on premises, but no colors few weeks ago. Contacted the fleet manager who let me know a blue was due in soon. Happened to come in last night. I was surprised, the blue is very nice indeed, didn't think I'd like it. Came back today to try to make a deal to trade in my Corvette ragtop and get the blue ISF. The numbers just weren't working. They'd give a little break on the ISF, $1500 but no quarter on the trade. I walked on the deal, but he actually mentioned that the other dealer was in a big hurt to sell cars.

Stopped at the Porsche dealer down the street, who is offering a *big* discount on all 2008 911 S models. Looked at a white 6 speed Cabrio S and a Silver Cabrio S tiptronic. Sweet cars, but man, the Porsches don't have bluetooth (big deal in CA now with a cell phone law) and the Nav system is clunky. Honestly, almost jumped. Always wanted one, didn't want to pay the price and the price offered was sweet. Decided to think it over. More money, but like I said, it's a heck of a car. Lexus has a big advantage in the electronics/entertainment system. Porsche is supposed to upgrade in 09, we'll see.

Out of the blue, one of the salesman at the other (hurting) Lexus dealer called me later in the afternoon. I turned down a black one a couple of weeks ago, but had left the door open to silver. They got a silver in this week. So I told him flat out I'd seen a blue one and tried to deal and could not get closed. Some flappin' lip service on the phone, so we drove out. We get there and they look at the vette and I look over the silver F. So some significant back and forth went on, yaddah, yaddah, car salesman yak, for quite a while. Hint to car salesman everywhere: Do not try to out-math an engineer who can add and subtract faster than you can punch the keys on the calculator, or try to shave numbers or any of that stuff. At some point, you sales guys need to quit with the tactics and just go see what the boss will really do. I'm only looking at 1 number, and that's the net out the door, all fees and all considerations, no BS, no "four squares" etc. After a bunch of haggling, the sales manager himself came out with a written quote and said that's the absolute best he could do, there just wasn't anymore. It wasn't quite where I wanted to be, but in reality, it was a good deal. My only option to get a better deal was to sell the 'vette myself. Not a bad idea, but time to do things like that is just not a luxury I have. Had to think it over a little, because I loved my Corvette. Finally went for it, signed the papers and went to dinner. So I was a couple of G's short on the vette, but did better on the F than I expected, within a spit of invoice, no kidding. Don't think I left anything on the table, would have liked to be another thousand in my direction but there you go. Used to hate negotiating when I was younger, but actually enjoy it now. I can go all day long.

I'm going to miss my Corvette. Y'all don't be talkin no ignorant smak about the C5's. A true car guy knows a good thing no matter what badge is on the fender, Porsche, Lexus or Chevy. My C5 was a great, great car and I loved every minute of owning it for the last 6 years. At some point, it is time to move on and in my case, my knees are bad (always have been) and it was just starting to hurt getting in and out of the car.

So yes, you can make a deal on a F. There's plenty of them out there and car sales are slow everywhere. Some F colors are hard to find, but nearly all have the same option package and pricing. The Lexii dealers aren't used to dealing, those free sodas and pastries in the service center are paid for by someone. But they can and with the right motivation, they will.
Old 07-27-08, 01:36 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

I was the first one CA to get one, probably even the whole US. And you DO NOT want to know how much i got it for.

kinda sucks, now i know i've should've waited. oh well. "nice things cost money"
Old 07-27-08, 05:58 AM
ub2slow2
Driver

I will agree with you on the Corvette. I had a 98 Vette and absolutely loved it. They are very well built cars and haul *** as well as handle and look great. I'm looking to add the 09 ZR1 to my collection next year when I can get my hands on one. Those bad boys are going to flat out fly.
Old 07-27-08, 12:22 PM
SC430inVA
Pit Crew

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default I would be interested in the price you got.

you can PM if you do not want to post. Just wondering how different dealers make deals.

I just received an offer of $57,500 on a silver w/ ML, Park Assist, Preferred Acc Package (sticker of $61,565). That is a no haggle offer because I told them I needed to sell my car outright (lousy offer on my 2007 BMW 550i). Until I am serious, I will not make a serious offer.

al
Old 07-27-08, 12:32 PM
photomaker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ub2slow2
I will agree with you on the Corvette. I had a 98 Vette and absolutely loved it. They are very well built cars and haul *** as well as handle and look great. I'm looking to add the 09 ZR1 to my collection next year when I can get my hands on one. Those bad boys are going to flat out fly.
Don't know if anyone posted this link yet...ZR1 hotlap at the 'ring...

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/07/vette-slays-god.html
Old 07-27-08, 03:33 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the F! I know I love my silver one

That ZR1 is
Old 07-28-08, 09:32 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

hey larry, congrats! blue is my number one color right now. i did get to drive a silver one though at the dealer and i must admit it looked a lot nicer than i thought it would.

if you don't mind me asking, where in CA was the blue one located? what color was the interior? thanks!