IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New Owner here... Initial Review and Comparisons

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-08, 04:21 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner here... Initial Review and Comparisons

Hi Everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a proud new owner of an 08 Ultrasonic Blue IS-F, black interior. Just picked up the car last week. I came from a lightly modded 350z. I've actually been lurking here for awhile, since I've been looking for an IS-F/M3/C63 since the beginning of this summer. You guys provided some very useful information that really helped make my decision towards the purchase! I don't have any pix yet, but maybe I'll post some once I have mods. For now I just tinted my windows.

First of all, here are some observations on the car, now that I've had it for a few days.. he he
  • The car is definitely not photogenic. I know a lot of people have seen pics and think that the car looks a bit thick, but in real life it's a totally different story. You really have to see this car in person to appreciate the design and the style.
  • I'm not one to leave my car stock, but this time I really like the stock setup. I wish the wheels came with a more aggressive offset though. I'll probably get some rims and call it a day.
  • The fit and finish on this car is immaculate. The attention to detail is everywhere, and I'm still discovering minor features here and there. It's great.

I haven't pushed the car at all due to break-in, but here are some thoughts compared to my Z. In the F I use sport mode + paddles 100% of the time.
  • Power - No comparison, obviously. I only had an intake/exhaust on the Z, so it feels like a snail compared to this car. I love the 8 speed because it keeps me in the powerband.
  • Handling - The F is actually a lot more planted and composed in the corners even though I had a more aggressive wheel setup on my Z. Steering response is quicker on the Z, obviously because of the weight and size advantage. However, the F does not feel heavy or sluggish at all. The Z is more edgy, but the F inspires more confidence.
  • Brakes - Haven't slammed on it yet, so not much to say. I do agree with reviews that sometimes the brakes feel like it's all or nothing. Maybe I have to get used to it.
  • Ride - I'm not sure why people said the ride is harsh It's almost plush compared to my Z, which had the stock suspension intact. On the F it's firm, but not punishing.

That's all for now... Here is a pic of my Z. I'm excited to join the community here and you'll be seeing more posts from me!

Old 08-17-08, 04:37 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Great review. Thanks for your input and welcome to CL.
Old 08-17-08, 05:02 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Good stuff and great color combination choice! Wait until you really get a chance to open it up, your going to love it! Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the Club!!

Last edited by BigMikeISF; 08-17-08 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-17-08, 07:11 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats...hope to see around Cali...if your in LA...heh
Old 08-17-08, 07:49 PM
dbastidas0
Driver

welcome to the club
Old 08-17-08, 08:23 PM
Civic Si-r
Lead Lap

Nice to see another Z-member. Your review is spot on, especially on the ride and handling. I to MAY be trading up to the "F", jst waiting for the economic climate to better itself. Although gas prices have dropped and that is encouraging. I may be putting in my special order soon.

Can't wait to see pics of the "F" and your Z was tastefully done.
Old 08-18-08, 12:05 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks everyone! Yea I'm actually in Socal. I've seen one other Ultrasonic Blue, and also a Black one in my area.

With the state of the economy and nearing the end of 08 model year, I think this is a good time to buy; however, you will get jacked on your trade-in or the sale your old car, so it evens out somewhat
Old 08-18-08, 12:09 AM
albert_23
Pole Position

welcome to CL and congrats on ur new ride. btw, thanks for the great review!