IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Who Thinks Custom Intakes & Exhausts Improve Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 07:53 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Who Thinks Custom Intakes & Exhausts Improve Performance?

Ok there seems to be a disagreement over whether or not custom intakes and Exhausts improve the performance of your car! What does everyone think? I know larry says loose the weight. I agree but let's stick to custom intakes and custom exhausts. If you think they help how much help do you think they offer and What is the purpose of buying a custom intake and exhaust if they don't help?

Last edited by tastemydus; 08-25-08 at 07:54 PM. Reason: adding more
Old 08-25-08, 08:50 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, started a whole new thread on the topic. I was following it in the other forum

Personally, I think that you get very minimal gains when adding an exhaust and intake to a vehicle. I understand that they help the engine breathe easier helping to increase power, however, I don't think the gains are significant by any means.

My two previous cars had intakes on them, as well as exhaust, and while I didn't really feel any gains (I installed them at different times, then GIAC reflashed the ECU, and that has an increase in speed) I still put them on. I put both on not because of the "gains" they claimed and I failed to notice, but because they would run so hot down here in the heat and I was worried about overheating. As for exhaust, when I had that installed, it just made the cars sound meaner, I didn't really feel any gains whatsoever. Both intake and exhaust claimed a combination total gain of 5-6 hp at the crank. I'm not sure how much of that was true, but thats what the ones I installed claimed, from two companies, for two completely different vehicles.

With this said, I do not think adding and intake and exhaust will give you the ability to smoke everything else on the road. In fact, just today I spanked a new corvette with a custom exhaust and when the guy and I stopped at the gas station, he said he added the exhaust to make it sound mean (which it did), and when I asked what gains it produced, he said nill, he couldn't tell, it just made it sound mean.

Intakes and exhaust are mostly purchased for the sound, not for the "gains," of their purchased for cars that people plan on completely modifying with big turbo or superchargers.

This is just my opinion on the question you asked. I hope it doesn't offend anybody by any means, this is all in good spirit
Old 08-25-08, 08:54 PM
Im2sl0w
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
This is just my opinion on the question you asked. I hope it doesn't offend anybody by any means, this is all in good spirit

Don't get your hopes up about not offending people. He might just "educate" all of us again.
Old 08-25-08, 10:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2sl0w
Don't get your hopes up about not offending people. He might just "educate" all of us again.
I'd like for you to please read the forum rules you agreed to when you joined Club Lexus. I know who you are via your IP address, although I don't understand why you are arguing with yourself.

This account is banned; if you rejoin again to cause trouble I will ban all of them including your original account. I'd suggest you read all our forum rules.