IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Installed Odyssey PC680T lightweight battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-08, 02:25 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
id use this on a track/strip id never use it for daily driving. The capacity of that battery is going to be much less than a standard size, and im not gonna risk being stranded due to a low battery capacity
Unless you have a bad alternator or you leave the car sitting with the stereo on for a considerable time there is no risk in being stranded due to a low capacity. I drove with this battery in the IS350 for a few months and I've driven with it in the IS-F now for several days with no problem. Heck I even forget it's in the car except for the reminders I get with this thread.
Old 08-31-08, 03:46 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the exact model number... and will it actually last? or is this something you consintly have to buy...?? cause i already took my spare out and jack.. and random stuff.. and it weighed about 45 pounds...
Old 08-31-08, 04:09 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by btwanky
what is the exact model number... and will it actually last? or is this something you consintly have to buy...?? cause i already took my spare out and jack.. and random stuff.. and it weighed about 45 pounds...
I know a few people that have had this exact same make/model for over 4 years now with zero issues. I think the only time people start having issues with this battery is when they allow it to discharge all the way...it just never seems to work well after that. I suggest disconnecting or installing a cutoff switch for whenever the car sits for a week or more and not using the electrical system ie..stereo much while the car is not running, which would greatly affect the use and longevity of this battery.

Oh the battery is a Odyssey PC680
Old 12-11-08, 06:29 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I said I was only going to be using this battery until December, but I have liked it so much that it's staying in the car all year. The battery worked well all through the summer months and has shown no signs of issues with the cold.

Anyway, just an update here from the guinea pig.
Old 12-11-08, 07:54 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 163 Likes on 139 Posts

This is a really good thread. I met someone yesterday that had an IS-F and they were mentioning they saw this modification on CL.
Old 12-11-08, 08:34 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandive
Well any true drag junkie or performance addict would appreciate the mod and I just so happen to be one of those junkies. I truly enjoy racing in all it's forms and as we all know weight is thy enemy. Reduced weight results in quicker acceleration, better braking, improved handling, etc. I can tell you for every 30lbs dropped in the IS350 was worth about a 1/10th in the quarter and may be similar in the IS-F. I don't plan however on running the battery in my car all year, but just for a few months from now until December when the racing season is over.

FWIW I ran this battery in my IS350 over the summer with zero issues and I don't foresee any issues in the IS-F either. As the Guinea pig for this setup, I'll keep you all posted.
I agree, it might not be noticeable just one modification but the sum of all parts equals weight reduction.....wheels, battery, lighther exhaust. The rule of thumb gauge is 100 lbs reduction equals one tenth off your 1/4 mile time.
Old 12-11-08, 09:16 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first mod! I am using the same lightweight battery in the IS-F that I used on my IS350. Everything is the exact same between the cars so it was an easy swap. (2 minutes) Here is the link to my original installation with details on how it was installed. CLICK HERE

Weight specifications:

OEM battery - 42.5 lbs
OEM Hold down hardware - .5 (approx)

Odyssey battery - 16 lbs (including the black aluminum hold down box)
Mounting bracket- 7.7 oz or .48 lbs

Approximate weight savings is 26.5lbs

every little bit helps and its your car so good job! i do little things and putting in wrench time builds more love for your ride!
Old 12-11-08, 11:15 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this is one of the coolest DIY mods out there. Can't wait to try it for myself!
Old 12-11-08, 12:26 PM
DEMIK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

this is hardcore racer stuff i like.. good job sir
Old 12-11-08, 01:15 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Well any true drag junkie or performance addict would appreciate the mod and I just so happen to be one of those junkies. I truly enjoy racing in all it's forms and as we all know weight is thy enemy. Reduced weight results in quicker acceleration, better braking, improved handling, etc. I can tell you for every 30lbs dropped in the IS350 was worth about a 1/10th in the quarter and may be similar in the IS-F. I don't plan however on running the battery in my car all year, but just for a few months from now until December when the racing season is over.

FWIW I ran this battery in my IS350 over the summer with zero issues and I don't foresee any issues in the IS-F either. As the Guinea pig for this setup, I'll keep you all posted.
"Jumkie" here, and yes this is a good mod, provided the smaller batt is powerful enough.
How did you re-initialize you windows?

C.
Old 12-11-08, 01:31 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ISFer
How did you re-initialize you windows?

C.
To re-initialize the windows you just use the control switch on each door to put the windows up and down once. After that the main control from the drivers side works fine.

Last edited by caymandive; 12-11-08 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-11-08, 04:53 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

To re-initialize the windows you just use the control switch on each door to put the windows up and down once. After that the main control from the drivers side work fine.
Cheers, and tnx.

C.
Old 12-11-08, 04:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Odyssey batteries are friggin awesome. They WILL BE my next battery. I'm able to get them at wholesales so there is no reason not to go with them. I dont leave my stereo on with the car off so it doesn't bother me. And if the car is running off the battery, then something is wrong with your electrical system
Old 12-11-08, 06:57 PM
zakizaki
Driver School Candidate

I have tried to find the Amps/CCA of the OEM battery without any luck.
How do these values of the OEM compare with the Odyssey 680?
Old 12-11-08, 06:58 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foup
Honestly, this is not going to make any difference except that the lighter battery might cause you some unanticipated problems...
But if you were to race another isf you would have a chance, provided that he does not have an empty tank and you a full one, or that his driver is not skinny and lean...
Originally Posted by foup
If I am not mistaken a full tank of 16 gal weighs 96 pounds, so yes if you love drag racing you should always run close to empty.

Seriously though, I would seek more dramatic solutions such as a carbon fiber hood , rear plastic windows , no rear seat, and no nav/ML (speakers are heavy), obviously no spare, etc.

I think your light battery is fine if you use your car everyday but may not last as long if you keep car in your garage for a week or two. Did you try that?

Yeah and while we are comparing the fact that the other guy "MAY" have been running an empty tank, he also "MAY" be running a carbon fibre hood, running 5lbs a peice rims with new N.A.S.A. technology rubber that weighs one tenth of normal rubber, light weight doors and a titanium exhaust.

Is getting weight savings no matter how little they may be the ultimate aim of this excecise while still having a really confortable car that you can use a daily driver? Or am I missing something here?

On foups adivise ,Caymandive, my advise to you is that you should rip the whole interior out complete with nav/ speakers, door trims, roof lining and put in a single carbon race seat with harness. Don't forget to mod the fuel tank and reduce its capacity to about 5 gallons b/c that could cut you some weight too. I hope sarcasm works ok with everyone?

Nice mod BTW, I did this is a drag nissan I had many years back and never had problems with battery drainage and I used it as a daily driver.

Quick Reply: Installed Odyssey PC680T lightweight battery