IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Installed Odyssey PC680T lightweight battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 07:04 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Is getting weight savings no matter how little they may be the ultimate aim of this excecise while still having a really confortable car that you can use a daily driver? Or am I missing something here?
On foups adivise ,Caymandive, my advise to you is that you should rip the whole interior out complete with nav/ speakers, door trims, roof lining and put in a single carbon race seat with harness. Don't forget to mod the fuel tank and reduce its capacity to about 5 gallons b/c that could cut you some weight too. I hope sarcasm works ok with everyone?

Nice mod BTW, I did this is a drag nissan I had many years back and never had problems with battery drainage and I used it as a daily driver.
Sarcasm is fine. and yes the aim of this project was to reduce weight
while not sacrificing a comfortable car.
Old 12-11-08, 07:30 PM
zakizaki
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries.htm
scroll all the way down for an informative chart with all the info you need.

Here you can see the various Odyssey dry cell batteries and their ideal applications.

I used the Odyssey 680 in my NSX [3li V6] for a few months and realized that unless the car was used at least every 3 to 4 days there was a definite decrease in the cranking performance and by the 7-8th day the battery was too weak to start the car. This problem only increases during the winter months. YOU ARE VERY LIKELY TO BE UNABLE TO START YOUR CAR WITH A 680 IF YOU LEAVE YOUR CAR OUTSIDE IN THE COLD FOR EVEN JUST ONE NIGHT. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT

I therefore switched to the Odyssey 925, which at about 25 lbs is still quite light but has significantly more cranking power than the 680. The 925 if not driven for 2 weeks shows clear evidence of decreased cranking power. When I drive the car after not having driven it for more than a week, I charge the battery with a trickle charger overnight. Never had any trouble with the 925.

For the IS-F [ 5li V8] with significantly more power requirement at start up, the ideal battery would be the 1200 which at about 38lbs is not much lighter than the OEM weight of 42lbs.
Old 07-08-09, 06:52 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

James is the odyssey a good battery? Who sells it? Do you suggest another battery?
Old 07-08-09, 07:06 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LexISguy
James is the odyssey a good battery? Who sells it? Do you suggest another battery?
I don't have experience with any other batteries. I bought mine from odysseybatteries.com along with the black hold down cover and just made the mounting bracket. Total cost was $197.24 shipped to my door.
Old 07-08-09, 07:39 AM
Splat
Lead Lap

I have one that i ran in my sti if anyone is looking for one. also comes in an aluminum battery holder. It will just need a charge as it has been sitting around for a while.

Old 07-08-09, 08:52 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

where can we get one? wow thats cool! i dont need a 42lb battery! i dont drive my car much!
Old 07-08-09, 08:57 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Splat
I have one that i ran in my sti if anyone is looking for one. also comes in an aluminum battery holder. It will just need a charge as it has been sitting around for a while.

Shoot me a pm with pricing if your willing to get rid of it. Your close to my location.
Old 07-08-09, 09:17 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I appreciate the OP's creativity in doing this mod for weight savings but c'mon the IS-F is NO RACE CAR, NEVER will be with all the heavy electronics!

Sure you saved a few lbs but removing less critical components can easily save the same weight. Not to mention if you happen to fill up and just ate a happy meal there goes your weight advantage. Best way to lose weight is to hit the gym!

Why not remove the sunroof motor, strip the audio, speakers, door panels and put in a roll cage why you're in the car....hahaha

Lexus made a "LUXURY" sedan for us to enjoy and for someone to risk getting stranded for a few lbs in weight savings, just go on a diet man

I've heard of s2000 / nsx guys try to get their "race car" weight down as much as possible for better track times but the IS-F is just not a race car.

rick
Old 07-08-09, 09:26 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by s4play
I appreciate the OP's creativity in doing this mod for weight savings but c'mon the IS-F is NO RACE CAR, NEVER will be with all the heavy electronics!

Sure you saved a few lbs but removing less critical components can easily save the same weight. Not to mention if you happen to fill up and just ate a happy meal there goes your weight advantage. Best way to lose weight is to hit the gym!

Why not remove the sunroof motor, strip the audio, speakers, door panels and put in a roll cage why you're in the car....hahaha

Lexus made a "LUXURY" sedan for us to enjoy and for someone to risk getting stranded for a few lbs in weight savings, just go on a diet man

I've heard of s2000 / nsx guys try to get their "race car" weight down as much as possible for better track times but the IS-F is just not a race car.

rick
If you don't like the idea of loosing 26 lbs off the upper front end of the car to not only improve acceleration as well as improve braking and cornering, then yeah this mod is not worth doing.

This mod in no way leaves you stranded as I've had it for quite some time now with no ill effects as well as several other friends of mine.

I do agree though, that this car will NEVER be a true race car and as such careful and tasteful mods should be done to both personalize and increase performance even if it's slight. It's all about being original and and having that slight edge on the competition. Just my .02.
Old 07-12-09, 02:13 PM
"Lexappeal
Driver

Originally Posted by larrysb
Every gram counts.

Actually, 26.5 lbs is a pretty healthy chunk of weight to get rid off. Not sure how the battery is going to hold up with the extra load of starting a bigger V8.

Back in the day, we'd use the smallest battery that could possibly start the car and relocate it to the trunk.
I actually ran that same exact battery on my 03 Cobra without any issues.
Old 09-01-09, 12:38 AM
MicaISF
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi caymandive,

any update on the performance of the battery?
i just swapped out mine. i live in california so cold weather start should not be an issue for me. i drive my F only on weekends, so i will see if that's going to be a problem.

if it gives me problem, i will put it in my s2000 which has a tiny oem battery anyway.
Old 09-01-09, 12:45 AM
Low Offset
Driver

great mod and didn't cost you anything but swapping from your old car!
Old 09-01-09, 01:42 AM
ISF-88
Pole Position

nice battery, I used a different brand one for my s2000 that weighed less then 10 lbs but it barely had enough voltage for the car itself(if car not started in 5 days battery will die). Also you might want to note that if the lightweight battery doesn't have the same voltage and power as the ISF's oem battery, u might be losing and not having consitant power as everything electronic in the car takes away voltage. A better investment might be using a voltage stabilizer to keep the voltage of the car steady so your power is always consitant meaning your hp will always be consistant as used up voltage takes power away.

Last edited by ISF-88; 09-01-09 at 02:14 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 03:57 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MicaISF
hi caymandive,

any update on the performance of the battery?
i just swapped out mine. i live in california so cold weather start should not be an issue for me. i drive my F only on weekends, so i will see if that's going to be a problem.

if it gives me problem, i will put it in my s2000 which has a tiny oem battery anyway.
I still have the battery in the car and have had ZERO problems with it. The F used to be my daily driver, but I now have a 1.8t Jetta as my commuter. I had left the F sitting in my garage for about a week and a half last month and when I went to start the car it did start, but I could tell it was a little down on cranking amps having set so long. Had it been winter time, there is a chance the car may have not started. Easy fix though, I went to sears after that and got a battery tender that I leave connected to the car.

In a nutshell if the F is your daily driver you will NEVER have issues starting your car. If the F is your weekend fun car, I would buy a battery tender and just leave it connected while in the garage esp over winter months.
Old 09-01-09, 05:32 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
I still have the battery in the car and have had ZERO problems with it. The F used to be my daily driver, but I now have a 1.8t Jetta as my commuter. I had left the F sitting in my garage for about a week and a half last month and when I went to start the car it did start, but I could tell it was a little down on cranking amps having set so long. Had it been winter time, there is a chance the car may have not started. Easy fix though, I went to sears after that and got a battery tender that I leave connected to the car.

In a nutshell if the F is your daily driver you will NEVER have issues starting your car. If the F is your weekend fun car, I would buy a battery tender and just leave it connected while in the garage esp over winter months.
Good info James

Quick Reply: Installed Odyssey PC680T lightweight battery