IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Getting Rid of ISF Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08, 06:35 AM
bmoney12
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got ride of my IS-F a couple months ago for a M-DCT M3 Sedan. The IS-F just wasn't doing it for me.
Old 09-15-08, 10:42 AM
sizquik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bmoney12
I got ride of my IS-F a couple months ago for a M-DCT M3 Sedan. The IS-F just wasn't doing it for me.
What was it not doing for you? How would you compare the two cars? What does the IS-F lack in your opinion? (I'm straddling the fence between the two cars now)
Old 09-15-08, 11:15 AM
bmoney12
Rookie

Originally Posted by sizquik
What was it not doing for you? How would you compare the two cars? What does the IS-F lack in your opinion? (I'm straddling the fence between the two cars now)
For me it was the feel of the IS-F. It didn't seem to handle that well and to be honest my old 335 seemed to handle the same if not better. The tranny was decent but doesn't compare to the M-DCT in the M3....so far it's a beast. I feel very connected to the road when driving the M3 which I didn't get when I was in the IS-F Strangely enough I get better gas mileage in the M3 compared to the IS-F which is odd considering the IS-F doesn't have the GG tax. Overall I'd say they are both very nice but the M3 just suited me better.
Old 09-15-08, 11:26 AM
sizquik
Driver School Candidate

For me it was the feel of the IS-F. It didn't seem to handle that well and to be honest my old 335 seemed to handle the same if not better. The tranny was decent but doesn't compare to the M-DCT in the M3....so far it's a beast. I feel very connected to the road when driving the M3 which I didn't get when I was in the IS-F Strangely enough I get better gas mileage in the M3 compared to the IS-F which is odd considering the IS-F doesn't have the GG tax. Overall I'd say they are both very nice but the M3 just suited me better.
Thanks for your feedback. I'm not sure why M-DCT gets slapped with the gas guzzler tax as well.
Old 09-16-08, 11:27 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

I think its because m3 have smaller engines. How's the build quality? and How's the dct? I've heard that it's unreliable or breaks easily.
Old 09-16-08, 11:53 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by f=ma
I think its because m3 have smaller engines. How's the build quality? and How's the dct? I've heard that it's unreliable or breaks easily.
+1. That's the first I've heard M-DCT being favorable to the F's auto. It seems like there is a lag issue among other things.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169767
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162566
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160811
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170335

I actually considered a M-DCT M3 but never test drove it due to its scarcity on dealer lots (At the time) and reliability issues. I hope to test drive it someday so I can get a good comparison!
Old 09-16-08, 02:58 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

I think some pics of the M would be nice as well. I too have heard of lag issues, stalling issues, too rough/smooth issues etc... I'm sure that is mostly case by case though. Any mods in the future???
Old 09-16-08, 03:57 PM
Fleainat
Pole Position

The GG Tax issue is because the ISF came in with slightly smaller wheels/tires combined with the low fuel economy (I think it was the overall width)... I would guess the M3 tires are only a cm wider, but it makes a difference of a few thousand bucks...
Old 09-16-08, 04:19 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kickhard

To compare a ISF to a Super Car is un-comparable. Thats like comparing a Lambo Gallardo, Porsche 911TT, ZO6 to a ISF. Apples and Oranges
And that is like comparing a GTR to Lambo, 911 and Ferrari...

The GTR's interior is cheap and personally I don't like the look. If all you are looking for is bang for your buck, you can't go wrong with a GTR.
To me the IS-F is a much more refined car and speed is not everything, but that is just my opinion. When the kids start going to elementary school I will be getting the CL63 AMG, nothing beats a good ride.
Old 09-16-08, 04:31 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I would be more curious as to why non-CL members are selling their IS-Fs. Of course, it's hard to find that out ON CL but I'd like to get the ordinary Joe's opinion on whether or not they felt the car met their needs/expectactions/demands.
Old 09-17-08, 12:33 AM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fleainat
The GG Tax issue is because the ISF came in with slightly smaller wheels/tires combined with the low fuel economy (I think it was the overall width)... I would guess the M3 tires are only a cm wider, but it makes a difference of a few thousand bucks...
Huh??? The IS-F has 1L more displacement than the M3 but it gets better fuel mileage. Why? Many factors...but most prominently is the fact that the IS-F has 8-gears compared with 6 or 7 gears for the M3. Gears 7 and 8 in the IS-F are both overdrive gears.
Old 09-17-08, 12:45 AM
chikken
Lead Lap

who's interested in buying a used IS-F??
Old 09-17-08, 02:56 PM
bmoney12
Rookie

Originally Posted by f=ma
I love the DCT...it definitely shifts as fast if not faster than the IS-F's 8 speed. The car really drives as if you have a manual tranny. I have had a few lag issues...it can get confused from time to time but it's rare. To me it's worth it.

[/QUOTE]
Huh??? The IS-F has 1L more displacement than the M3 but it gets better fuel mileage. Why? Many factors...but most prominently is the fact that the IS-F has 8-gears compared with 6 or 7 gears for the M3. Gears 7 and 8 in the IS-F are both overdrive gears.[/QUOTE]

I figured it'd be better too but after the same amount of miles and driving the same route my average MPG is about 2 MPG's more. Not a huge difference just thought it was odd.
Old 09-17-08, 02:59 PM
bmoney12
Rookie

Originally Posted by DRE1615
I think some pics of the M would be nice as well. I too have heard of lag issues, stalling issues, too rough/smooth issues etc... I'm sure that is mostly case by case though. Any mods in the future???
Here's are a few pics....

Last edited by bmoney12; 09-23-08 at 04:49 AM.
Old 09-17-08, 03:08 PM
sizquik
Driver School Candidate

Here's a few pics....

Single humper eh? Did you spec that out or find it on a lot somewhere?

Quick Reply: Getting Rid of ISF Yet?