IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

I got my ass handed to me in my IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-08, 08:44 AM
duboseq
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 135 with Dinan tune is no joke. So much so that it undercuts M3 and 335 sales for performance to $ category.

Bert Smith BMW in St. Petersburg Fl. has the Dinan tune as a $2800 option and it does not void the warranty either.
Old 09-12-08, 09:37 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus999
no kidding bro...i raced the old CTV and it was cake...however..i just got the car a week ago and now my ****ing hating friend decided to upgrade and get LS9 cadillac CTS-V.... all that thing needs is prolly a tune and pully swap and hes pulling at least 700 ponies to the crank... I AM now Scrred ..... reallly Scrrred.....

as far as getting new friends....im down for that!!!! will you be my friend?
You'll have to settle for Pen-Pals.
Old 09-12-08, 09:43 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

go buy a modified mustang or something for $8k and whoop your friends BMW? its not worth ruining such a nice car like the IS-F just to beat him.
Old 09-12-08, 09:44 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus999
i think i can speak for all when i say

some people need to fit more than 1 person in the car....

how awesome would it be when a 4 door blows by those low 2 seaters...

Saw an EVO IX running like 10.9's the other day at the track ON STREET TIRES!!!! Kicked him out after 3 sub 11 second runs for not having the 6 point roll cage. It was fast as *****
Old 09-12-08, 10:01 AM
1LSsport
Driver

Is this true?
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=D0uw2W_94PI
Old 09-12-08, 10:02 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

^ True for that run, but the driver messed up the launch. Stock to stock, m3s run high 12s, 135s run low to mid 13s.

ECU tuned TT = no chance for us. But if you are upset, then you have bought the wrong car. You are comparing a modded car to a stock one! Apples to oranges. What's the point? ha ha There is always someone faster. Would you be upset if a $1000 civic with a motor swap killed you? Cuz that'll happen too.

I'd be upset if I bought an m3 or 335i, actually. BMW undercut their own market by slotting performance cars under the m3. First the 335, and now the 135, both with far more modding potential and much cheaper. Now they try to crack down on all ECU tuned TTs to keep the m3 on top, so your friend is lucky he still has his warranty. Nevertheless, it's easy to see why you see all the bickering on the bmw forums regarding 135 vs 335 vs m3. But people flock to the 335, because m3 = $$$ and 135 = ugly.

In terms of modding, I'd have to agree that it's slim right now, but you can get the SRT intake/exhaust combo. After SEMA, we should be seeing more parts available.

Last edited by primecut; 09-12-08 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-12-08, 10:22 AM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please people, just spend a little time on BMW forums and see how BMW is dealing with BMW's enthusiasts with modded cars... Canceled warranties, Canceled maintenance programs that were paid for... If you have a modded BMW, you know you can't go to a dealership with it, they will flag your car, put the VIN in a database and you are screwed nationwide for warranty or maintenance claims.
Old 09-12-08, 10:34 AM
tryama
Rookie

i mean...i would think that at the very least it should be fast if you're going to have to deal with being seen in a 1 series.
Old 09-12-08, 10:58 AM
duboseq
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timeToy
Please people, just spend a little time on BMW forums and see how BMW is dealing with BMW's enthusiasts with modded cars... Canceled warranties, Canceled maintenance programs that were paid for... If you have a modded BMW, you know you can't go to a dealership with it, they will flag your car, put the VIN in a database and you are screwed nationwide for warranty or maintenance claims.

But BMW is offering the Dinan tune as an option and it is warranted. I'm confused. I was cross shopping an M3 and 335 and the saleman and manager of the dealership assured me I could get the 335 with the Dinan tune and still be in warranty.
Old 09-12-08, 11:05 AM
btwanky
Lead Lap

well.. supposedly theres a supercharger coming out... they say over 600HP
Old 09-12-08, 11:07 AM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by duboseq
But BMW is offering the Dinan tune as an option and it is warranted. I'm confused. I was cross shopping an M3 and 335 and the saleman and manager of the dealership assured me I could get the 335 with the Dinan tune and still be in warranty.
If it's anything like in the Phoenix metro area, a dealer can add whatever they want to the vehicle and extend a "dealer" sponsored warranty that covers all the add-ons. This makes the dealer responsible for any warranty issues.
You see this all the time with lift kits w/accessories on new trucks, and aftermarket superchargers added to "special edition" dealer specific vehicles.
Old 09-12-08, 11:09 AM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

heh time to twin turbo or get a gtr r35 spec v. 0-60 in sub 3 seconds!
Old 09-12-08, 11:49 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dinan is NOT an authorized BMW Tuner. Dinan-tuned car may not get flag at BMW-Dinan dealer but it can be voided by BMW. However, Dinan states that it would cover the factory warranty if voided. It works well if you're close by Dinan-BMW shop. Otherwise, I wouldn't risk messing w/ mods.

Originally Posted by duboseq
Old 09-12-08, 12:10 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

While we might be getting a little off topic, you are correct.
I don't think he realizes that there is a distinct difference between a manufacture "BMW" and a "BMW Dealership". The DEALERSHIP can offer anything thing they want as an add-on to the product, but assumes all warranty liability for the product if the MANUFACTURE deems the add-on to void any warranty they offered on the original, un-modified product. A BMW-Dinan shop assumes the liability and warranty if they sell the product as new to an individual, not BMW the manufacture.
Old 09-12-08, 12:20 PM
duboseq
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vrferrari
While we might be getting a little off topic, you are correct.
I don't think he realizes that there is a distinct difference between a manufacture "BMW" and a "BMW Dealership". The DEALERSHIP can offer anything thing they want as an add-on to the product, but assumes all warranty liability for the product if the MANUFACTURE deems the add-on to void any warranty they offered on the original, un-modified product. A BMW-Dinan shop assumes the liability and warranty if they sell the product as new to an individual, not BMW the manufacture.

Cool, at any rate that is one of the reasons I went with the Lexus because of their history with reliability.

That was inportant to me since I was comming from a Honda S2000 which was reliable car for me and I beat the **** outta it hahaha!

I loved that car.... but you can't have a 2 seater when trying to start a family however i will own one again soon.

Quick Reply: I got my ass handed to me in my IS-F