I got my ass handed to me in my IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 10:13 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kickhard
f=ma

I am sure you have done all your homework and driven the GT3 and others in its class but to over look a GTR on your assumptions is something that tells me your just dead set on a porsche for whatever reasons you have. And thats cool. Here is a link for you. Maybe you can find a GT3 from one of these guys that are trading/selling for a GTR

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/n...-gt3-gt-r.html

Its your opinion sure but the GTR is not a Young persons car. Hell I am not young but not old either 37yr old here. I know several 50+year owners of the GTR also. Also a GTR is just as capable as RR car as the GT3. Probably more so in the case of a non professional driver like you and I
maybe i am porsche biased. But i did test drive the gtr, wasnt for me. Also, I'm not a big fan of awd, hence why im not looking to buy a 911 turbo.
Old 09-15-08, 07:27 AM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by f=ma
maybe i am porsche biased. But i did test drive the gtr, wasnt for me. Also, I'm not a big fan of awd, hence why im not looking to buy a 911 turbo.
Cool. A GT3 is a fine ride . I am not a hater. I have considered 911tt and GT3s also

What were your impressions of the GTR compared to the porsche?
Old 09-15-08, 08:13 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kickhard
Cool. A GT3 is a fine ride . I am not a hater. I have considered 911tt and GT3s also

What were your impressions of the GTR compared to the porsche?
I like the engine the back and I'm a big fan of RR, like I said before. Also, I'm a big fan of flat-6. Also I wanted NA (not a fan of the gt2), the gt3 is the one of the most powerful na engine in a car (eff you z06). Also I've been a big fan of Porsche suspension. I've owned quite a few in the past. Also my company has been doing pretty well so I want to buy myself something.

Anyways, back on topic. My opinion, anyone who chips, piggybacks, or reflash their turbo car is a fool (me included). You're just adding way to much stress on the engine. If you have the money, get a faster car. So in the long run, the ISF will win over the N54 engine.
Old 09-15-08, 09:35 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some interesting discussions throughout this thread.

As to getting beat by a 135....who cares?! They are ugly, 2 door, BMW's that don't even begin to approach the luxury and reliability that your ISF provides. I'm also guessing that you would destroy it on any kind of road track that wasn't a straight line. As many others have mentioned, there will always be modded cars that will beat more expensive models. That's life..oh well!

The convo about the GTR is also interesting. I don't think anyone will dispute the performance of this car, as it is already proving that it can do some amazing things. But it is not even in the same ballpark (at least up here in Canada) as far as price. They list at $84K ($20K more than the ISF) and I personally know of one recently that sold for $120K. While I do think the exterior appearance is decent, IMO the interior is laughable. Again, not anywhere near the class and luxury that the ISF provides.

I guess the bottom line comes down to why you bought the car in the first place. For me, it was a decision based on wanting the best ALL AROUND vehicle in its class for a daily driver. If I had wanted just straight line speed it would have been the C63 AMG and if I wanted the best track times it would have been the M3. The ISF provides great times for both PLUS you get the luxury and reliability of a LEXUS. Just my opinion

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-19-08 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 09:45 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I guess the bottom line comes down to why you bought the car in the first place. For me, it was a decision based on wanting the best ALL AROUND vehicle in its class for a daily driver. If I had wanted just straight line speed it would have been the C63 AMG and if I wanted the best track times it would have been the M3. The ISF provides great times for both PLUS you get the luxury and reliability of a LEXUS. Just my opinion
Very well put I agree with you 100%

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-19-08 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 12:36 PM
nuttybar08
Driver

+1

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-19-08 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-15-08, 02:27 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

The convo about the GTR is also interesting. I don't think anyone will dispute the performance of this car, as it is already proving that it can do some amazing things. But it is not even in the same ballpark (at least up here in Canada) as far as price. They list at $84K ($20K more than the ISF) and I personally know of one recently that sold for $120K. While I do think the exterior appearance is decent, IMO the interior is laughable. Again, not anywhere near the class and luxury that the ISF provides.

I agree 100% with what you said too. I have owned a few AMGs and the ISF is just plain awesome. Not 1 single problem since owning it. I cant say that about the AMG's I have owned. I am probably still going to keep it due to that fact and its just a fun car to drive. Best of both worlds. Speed and stiff ride when you need it and lexus smooth when you need it.

The GTR is of course a different animal and I not buying it to compare or replace the ISF. At the stupid mark-ups I think its not the bargin reputed to be. But at anywhere near MSRP its a good performance deal. Interior compared to the ISF ? ISF wins hands down but the Multi function Meter in the GTR is pretty trick!!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-19-08 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 11:34 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Dinan tune and I have no problems on my 335i. Those of you that talk about the warranty problems are speaking of Juicebox and Procede tunes. Dinan has worked with BMW for years and even though there is some turmoil they still service and take care of Dinan customers at BMW dealerships. I bought my Dinan products and installed them at Desert BMW of Henderson. They take very good care of me and I have zero problems with my car. It flys like hell and it has a warranty for 4 years or 50k miles.

F=MA on here has a juicebox so even though he is having problems he is using a tune that doesn't have a warranty. It is a rather big difference. Most BMW people who badmouth the Dinan product have never owned one and think they are too expensive. The price is high due to the warranty part. PM for more info or if you want to race around town in Vegas. I will gladly give you the keys to see for youself if you ever come through Las Vegas. This car is a joy to drive and I had an IS350 prior to this.

www.dinancars.com

Check the website for yourselves for the warranty. In case you are curious the BMW dealership handles my Dinan warranty and Dinan parts.

Last edited by SilverBull; 09-18-08 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 11:39 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone that bought a cheap tune for a $48,000 car is a fool. You get what you pay for. Yes, BMW is cracking down on tunes for their twin turbo engine but that doesn't include Dinan cars. Why would they do the Dinan flash at the dealership if they don't want you to have it on your car?

There are no pulley upgrades for 135's also. So either he was lying or he custom moddified that himself.

As for the GTR vs. Porsche TT comparison, I am with the Porsche guys here. The GTR is just an ugly car by any means. Just because it gets you from point A to B really fast doesn't justify the money on the car. Many will buy them since it is a discount supercar but it doesn't look like a supercar. It looks like a G35 with a widebody kit and different badging. The old Skyline looks 10x better than this car, just my opinion but several will agree on that one. Porsche will always have the image that a Z06 vette or GTR doesn't have in the end. It is the track car for the super wealthy. I really don't see how a guy who owns a 997tt even considers trading that in for a GTR right now. I think someone on here is a Skyline fanboy. That just doesn't like logical thinking.

Last edited by SilverBull; 09-18-08 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-18-08, 02:26 PM
kickhard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SilverBull
Anyone that bought a cheap tune for a $48,000 car is a fool. You get what you pay for. Yes, BMW is cracking down on tunes for their twin turbo engine but that doesn't include Dinan cars. Why would they do the Dinan flash at the dealership if they don't want you to have it on your car?

There are no pulley upgrades for 135's also. So either he was lying or he custom moddified that himself.

As for the GTR vs. Porsche TT comparison, I am with the Porsche guys here. The GTR is just an ugly car by any means. Just because it gets you from point A to B really fast doesn't justify the money on the car. Many will buy them since it is a discount supercar but it doesn't look like a supercar. It looks like a G35 with a widebody kit and different badging. The old Skyline looks 10x better than this car, just my opinion but several will agree on that one. Porsche will always have the image that a Z06 vette or GTR doesn't have in the end. It is the track car for the super wealthy. I really don't see how a guy who owns a 997tt even considers trading that in for a GTR right now. I think someone on here is a Skyline fanboy. That just doesn't like logical thinking.
Logical or not people are trading their porsche's for a GTR. Fanboy or not I think both(or all cars in its class) are awesome cars and have said so(and I have almost bought a 997TT). I can remember not to long ago people were having the same discussion about the ISF being able or pretty enough. Thats why they make all these different types of cars I guess. You will always have people that can open up to a different type of thinking and style and then you will have the hate parade!!
Old 09-18-08, 02:27 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh boy, there are some threads where Dinan and BMW point the finger at each other, but the issue generally gets resolved. Dinan is not as rosey as you make it out to be. AND for big warranty work, it's BMW NA that makes the call not your friendly dealer. Lastly, people with warranty problems are not just the piggyback crowd...BMW looks negatively at even an aftermarket exhaust. There's the fuel pump issue, issues with the early turbo design, high oil temps, etc.. I'm thinkin the ISF has very few problems, yes?
Old 09-18-08, 02:39 PM
Scottward
Driver

Originally Posted by GS430lvr
There's the fuel pump issue, issues with the early turbo design...
Not only early, it's an ongoing problem. BMW is on about its third high pressure fuel pump revision and is still having issues. I can't imagine what kind of effect this will have for resale on these cars in the next few years after the 4/50 is expired. I wouldn't touch a used 335i with a 10ft pole.
Old 09-18-08, 02:40 PM
335i Beast
Driver School Candidate

Just so you know, not only a modded 135i will smoke you but a modded 335i will as well........

Don't get me wrong the IS-F is probably a great car with a great ride, but it is not that fast......

I run low 12's .....~12.1-12.2

IS-F best is 12.7-12.9.........

I have JB3 tune, FMIC, DP's, Dual cone intake and I have smoked 2 IS-F's on various occasions from a dig and a roll.........also the 135i is only about 200-300 pound lighter than the 335i.........

So if anyone from this forum would like to run me for fun, I have no problem with that. I am located on LI and there is actually an IS-F that is at the building next to mine on Jericho Tpke......

Also my car is a 2008, and I have the newer ECU and fuel pump.......
Old 09-18-08, 02:47 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 335i Beast
Just so you know, not only a modded 135i will smoke you but a modded 335i will as well........

Don't get me wrong the IS-F is probably a great car with a great ride, but it is not that fast......

I run low 12's .....~12.1-12.2

IS-F best is 12.7-12.9.........

I have JB3 tune, FMIC, DP's, Dual cone intake and I have smoked 2 IS-F's on various occasions from a dig and a roll.........also the 135i is only about 200-300 pound lighter than the 335i.........

So if anyone from this forum would like to run me for fun, I have no problem with that. I am located on LI and there is actually an IS-F that is at the building next to mine on Jericho Tpke......

Also my car is a 2008, and I have the newer ECU and fuel pump.......
I don't think anyone is questioning the performance level that the 335i cars have stock and in modified form.

There seems to be some evidence that the 335i cars would not survive a long term reliabilty test.
Old 09-18-08, 02:50 PM
335i Beast
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vrferrari
I don't think anyone is questioning the performance level that the 335i cars have stock and in modified form.

There seems to be some evidence that the 335i cars would not survive a long term reliabilty test.
Thats why I lease............

Quick Reply: I got my ass handed to me in my IS-F