IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

First oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-08 | 07:20 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Default First oil change.

So, I finally had my first oil change. I did synthetic and the dealership charged me for the synthetic. I would've thought that they would've mandated synthetic and covered for synthetic but they didn't. Oh well, not a big deal... but they told me the LS460 starts with synthetic and the first change for those cars are also synthetic at no cost.

In either case, the oil volume is HUGE! 10 freaking quarts!!! I guess that's a good thing. Shows you that these cars were designed to run hard. The oil filter is also 50% longer than the IS350's oil filter. I don't think I would ever change my own oil. One thing I noticed is that after draining from the plug, when the tech removed the filter, about another whole quart came squirting out all over the place - it would be almost too messy and the sheer volume of oil makes it not worth my while to consider changing it on my own.

Everything else on the car was absolutely perfect. Keep the tires inflated. I *thought* my tires were about 38 psi, but they were down to 34 psi (I haven't inflated them in about 2-3 months). Now my car seems to have a harder edgier ride.
Old 09-15-08 | 08:33 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

heh wow...I just brought my own Mobile 1 Synthetic oil for Lexus to change for my 5k mile and it was free. I wonder how much it would cost if I brought my own oil again and filter for them to replace....
Old 09-15-08 | 09:21 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

The dealership I went to said they would also charge me for the synthetic for the first oil change, even though it was supposed to be free so I went ahead and just had them put in their oil for now and will change it to synthetic at the next oil change

I just filled up my tires as well and it does make quite a difference when it comes to the ride
Old 09-16-08 | 04:28 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Does anyone know if the oil filter housing is the same as on the IS350? I bought the tool for the IS350 and would like to be able to use it on the IS-F as well. Once my next free oil change is completed I'll be doing my own changes from there on out.
Old 09-16-08 | 06:39 AM
duboseq
Pole Position

I dont have to worry about paying for my oil change because I bought the maintenance plan.

Have not had the chance to use it yet but we will see how that works when the time comes.
Old 09-16-08 | 08:45 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
heh wow...I just brought my own Mobile 1 Synthetic oil for Lexus to change for my 5k mile and it was free. I wonder how much it would cost if I brought my own oil again and filter for them to replace....
I brought my own for my IS.... charged a discount....
Old 09-16-08 | 08:55 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

I'm about to hit my 10k as well and was thinking about putting in the purple synthetic oil. With winter in Chicago upon us, is that a good idea?? I've heard the synthetics have issues in cold weather. Anybody know of any issues or ever had any?
Old 09-16-08 | 09:21 AM
ub2slow2
Driver

I have a few thousand to go yet but I know this. I'm walking around the car with the service manager to verify there isn't one chip or scratch in the car and it better be that way when I pick it up.

When I took my IS-350 in for it's first oil change last November, I picked it up and when I got home noticed there were 4 chips on the top of the fender above the wheel. They claimed rock chips which was BS. I dusted the car off before I drove it there (out of town) and there wasn't one chip or scratch anywhere. Be almost impossible to get 4 chips in the same area and without me hearing it. Dumb asses chipped it with the hose they use to put oil in with. Probably the metal connector on the hose. I was hot!! Oh well, got rid of the car and got the IS-F so all is good now.
Old 09-16-08 | 09:23 AM
duboseq
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ub2slow2
I have a few thousand to go yet but I know this. I'm walking around the car with the service manager to verify there isn't one chip or scratch in the car and it better be that way when I pick it up.

When I took my IS-350 in for it's first oil change last November, I picked it up and when I got home noticed there were 4 chips on the top of the fender above the wheel. They claimed rock chips which was BS. I dusted the car off before I drove it there (out of town) and there wasn't one chip or scratch anywhere. Be almost impossible to get 4 chips in the same area and without me hearing it. Dumb asses chipped it with the hose they use to put oil in with. Probably the metal connector on the hose. I was hot!! Oh well, got rid of the car and got the IS-F so all is good now.
That sucks!!!! That is a good idea to look over the car with a service manager.
Old 09-16-08 | 09:41 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DRE1615
I'm about to hit my 10k as well and was thinking about putting in the purple synthetic oil. With winter in Chicago upon us, is that a good idea?? I've heard the synthetics have issues in cold weather. Anybody know of any issues or ever had any?
-15 degrees for 5 straight days then 3 days another time last winter... have run Amsoil in all my cars since 1995... IS ran no issues, Sienna burned more than usual (has 40K miles) just topped off every couple weeks, maybe went through 1+ quart for winter.... no change since March, normal oil level...
Old 09-16-08 | 10:22 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DRE1615
I've run synthetic oil for 10+ years with never an issue here in the cold. I've run Royal Purple (currently in the IS-F), Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum. All have worked extremely well. I wouldn't think twice about it.