IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Wheel spacers on the IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 12:44 AM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would just constantly check my lugs to make sure they're tight. for each mm of spacer you have, you lose that much more of stud length. so in this case, 15-20 mm's of stud length has been lost. not sure how long the IS-F studs are to begin with so i can't say if the lost length is negligible or not.
Old 09-17-08, 12:46 AM
chikken
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bulls23337
i would just constantly check my lugs to make sure they're tight. for each mm of spacer you have, you lose that much more of stud length. so in this case, 15-20 mm's of stud length has been lost. not sure how long the IS-F studs are to begin with so i can't say if the lost length is negligible or not.
they come with the extended studs when you buy them....there's different types out there also.
Old 09-17-08, 01:28 AM
lexusjunky
Rookie

thanks for the DIY CHIKKEN.....can't wait to get mines on......
Old 09-17-08, 01:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by chikken
isn't it the same thing as getting wider rims???

btw if you do plan on getting spacers, I would advise you to retorque the lugs after 600miles or a couple months because they can get loose....well mines did.
No, it's not the same. Spacers change the relationship between the centerline of the rim and the centerline of the wheel bearing. To ensure the wheel bearing stays within design limits, the OEM wheel's centerline is aligned with the wheel bearing's centerline. Spacers move the wheel's centerline off the bearing's centerline and create a constant vector load on the bearing. This shortens the service life and could potentially lead to catastrophic failure of your wheel bearing. That's the downside.
Old 09-17-08, 06:16 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This shortens the service life and could potentially lead to catastrophic failure of your wheel bearing. That's the downside.
Wow, some serious stuff if your saying catastrophic failure!

Looks like I will rethink and do some research before decided on spacers
Old 09-17-08, 07:18 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Wow, some serious stuff if your saying catastrophic failure!

Looks like I will rethink and do some research before decided on spacers
Good choice, I'm definetely with LoBox on this one.
Old 09-17-08, 01:30 PM
chikken
Lead Lap

No, it's not the same. Spacers change the relationship between the centerline of the rim and the centerline of the wheel bearing. To ensure the wheel bearing stays within design limits, the OEM wheel's centerline is aligned with the wheel bearing's centerline. Spacers move the wheel's centerline off the bearing's centerline and create a constant vector load on the bearing. This shortens the service life and could potentially lead to catastrophic failure of your wheel bearing. That's the downside.
i'm guessing you've read this post:

http://realbig.com/detomaso/1998-11/53.html

its a good article but as mention in the article its only if you use thick spacers greater than 1/2 inches.
Old 09-17-08, 04:06 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Unhappy That Sucks

Seeing how your wheels looked with spacers made me want to run out and get the same thing done that day, but after reading the article I am sad to say that is one mod I will not be getting.
Old 09-17-08, 04:24 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

alright.. so to sum this up... would you get this mod on your car? please just say yes or no.. and ill decide off that
Old 09-17-08, 05:10 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by chikken
i'm guessing you've read this post:

http://realbig.com/detomaso/1998-11/53.html

its a good article but as mention in the article its only if you use thick spacers greater than 1/2 inches.
Actually no, I haven't read the post. I've been working on performance motorcycles and cars for about 27 years, so I didn't need to read a post to understand the problem. You're saying 12.7mm (0.500") is what they reference in the article? And you put on what? 20mm (0.787")? OK. They're also completely failing to address the issue related to wheel bearing loading. They're just talking about catastrophic lug failure. That's only one of the problems with spacers.

Seriously, if you're doing this for looks, great. Just expect there is a price that comes with it. If you put on a wider wheel with the same offset, you could avoid the whole problem. It's also possible to have your stock wheels widened so you can keep the OEM look (then you would need a spacer to restore the offset to the correct number). There are lots of good solutions, but spacers on stock wheels aren't one of them.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 09-17-08 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 06:41 PM
chikken
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by btwanky
alright.. so to sum this up... would you get this mod on your car? please just say yes or no.. and ill decide off that
to sum it up its a mod.....there's always risk if you mod your car...just like dropping your car....there's "catastrophic" failure involve with that also. Anytime you do a mod that alternate the oem parts there's always a risk in it. so its up to you to do the mod....i myself did it, and like it, and to each is their own.
Old 09-20-08, 12:52 AM
chikken
Lead Lap

If you cracked an OEM rim, there's a lot of stuff that could be damaged. It's hard to break an OEM rim.
anyone still planning to add spacers or did a certain someone scared ya