IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Would any of the IS-F owners had considered a GS-F, if available ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-08, 04:54 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
If it was was roomier and more comfortable as well as exceeded the performance of the IS-F, I would sure consider it, but then comes the looks. I know this is all hypothetical but its hard to say I would purchase something without seeing it, know what I mean I would consider it though
Nothing wrong with that answer

What about somehing like this ?
Attached Thumbnails Would any of the IS-F owners had considered a GS-F, if available ?-lexus-gs-f-impression-1000px.jpg  
Old 09-17-08, 05:20 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Talking Only If

Only if the seats were ventilated and it had a fan blowing cool air on my butt
Old 09-17-08, 05:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by vrferrari
If a hybrid gas/electric 450 hp car returned the same raw performance numbers as a 500 hp ice car, would you care ?
Would a 4.5 second 0-60, high 12 second, 110 mph trap speed, 20+ mpg city, 4 door sedan appeal to you ?
for me, no. i don't care if they don't even reveal hp numbers but the car can do 4.5 sec. but let's face it, gs450h and gs460 are both a few hp (one is hybrid and one is gas) away from 450 rating and they are still quite a bit away from 4.5

moreover, there is also something called marketing which plays a big role in consumer products. you honestly think lexus just random got an engine in the is-f that does 416hp, that much more than the m3 (before c63 numbers were out)?

if lexus put up a gs-f and the power numbers are 450hp written black and white, i can already say the car lost by a great mile to some customers in that segment. that's how it works
Old 09-17-08, 05:32 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
So no one really considered GS450h? Did anyone drive one in comparison?
I have a '07 GS450h (that I trying to sell...) and just moved to the '08 IS-F. Thanks to the Hybrid power train the GS450h has a fantastic pick-up, linear, silent, powerful, it is really hard to match or beat it, the GS 450h has a lot of power from 20 to 50 or from 60 to 80, but that about it, you will be able to accelerate very hard for 4 to 6 seconds, not more... My GS 450h is modified, lowered, with a high flow intake and exhaust, performance tires, and some suspension braces, yet it doesn't even come close to the handling, power and overall tight feeling of the IS-F...

Now the IS-F is my car, it is not a family car, not a representation car, not a commuter car, it is a pleasure car, and that's exactly what I was looking for...

Last edited by timeToy; 09-17-08 at 08:21 PM.
Old 09-17-08, 07:05 PM
chikken
Lead Lap

had a 07 GS350...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=279783

miss the interior feel of the GS, and of course the vented seat and power folding mirrors......but all in all, the IS-f has more of a "sports" feeling to it, and definitely more power. So until the actual specs of the GS-F comes up, I would say no.
Old 09-17-08, 07:27 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

If a hybrid gas/electric 450 hp car returned the same raw performance numbers as a 500 hp ice car, would you care ?
Would a 4.5 second 0-60, high 12 second, 110 mph trap speed, 20+ mpg city, 4 door sedan appeal to you ?

I wouldn't mind.. although i like loud cars.. which is why i totally changed the sound of my IS-F...

but the current hybrid technology is not there yet for a 0-60 in 4.5 and 12 second 1/4 mile...

The batteries weigh too much... and transmissions are not there yet...

look at the LS600... it weighs well over 5,000 pounds.. actually gets worse gas millage then the 460L and is slower! 0-60 in 5.5 i think? (it does produce a lot less emissions though) 70% less then the best car in its class, which if im not mistaken is the LS460
Old 09-17-08, 09:04 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timeToy
I have a '07 GS450h (that I trying to sell...) and just moved to the '08 IS-F. Thanks to the Hybrid power train the GS450h has a fantastic pick-up, linear, silent, powerful, it is really hard to match or beat it, the GS 450h has a lot of power from 20 to 50 or from 60 to 80, but that about it, you will be able to accelerate very hard for 4 to 6 seconds, not more... My GS 450h is modified, lowered, with a high flow intake and exhaust, performance tires, and some suspension braces, yet it doesn't even come close to the handling, power and overall tight feeling of the IS-F...

Now the IS-F is my car, it is not a family car, not a representation car, not a commuter car, it is a pleasure car, and that's exactly what I was looking for...
That's cool. While it is totally speculative...what if that GS HAD the 5.0 liter IS-F engine and the electric hybrid drive to enhance the acceleration AND return some respectful fuel economy ?
Obviously, this would be a car that is considerably more expensive than an IS-F, but would you have considerd it at 65-80k ?
Old 09-17-08, 09:12 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by btwanky
I wouldn't mind.. although i like loud cars.. which is why i totally changed the sound of my IS-F...

but the current hybrid technology is not there yet for a 0-60 in 4.5 and 12 second 1/4 mile...

The batteries weigh too much... and transmissions are not there yet...

look at the LS600... it weighs well over 5,000 pounds.. actually gets worse gas millage then the 460L and is slower! 0-60 in 5.5 i think? (it does produce a lot less emissions though) 70% less then the best car in its class, which if im not mistaken is the LS460
Great points, but what if the car was powered by the same IS-F motor with the hybrid electric drive to augment the low end torque to off-set the additional weight penalty a GS would carry over an IS sedan ? The same hotrod sound, an additional 40+ horsepower, instant torque boost (don't know how much additional tq), same brakes and sport interior.

Just dreaming....
Old 09-17-08, 09:16 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chikken
had a 07 GS350...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=279783

miss the interior feel of the GS, and of course the vented seat and power folding mirrors......but all in all, the IS-f has more of a "sports" feeling to it, and definitely more power. So until the actual specs of the GS-F comes up, I would say no.
I hear ya. I just wish they would test the waters with a limited run of super GS sedans. They may never be able to make the car feel as nimble as the IS-F version on a race track but I think I could live with that.
Old 09-17-08, 09:37 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I considered a GS450h, but decided to get the IS-F because the price was roughly the same and having owned and driven an 05 Prius and RX400h, I thought it was time to move on to something that wasn't a hybrid...it was kinda toooo quiet...plus I like owning and driving the IS-F because it's the first F car by Lexus...kinda like owning the first M3 by BMW...heh Plus my next car in maybe 3 years hopefully when prices are good and it is released will be a Nissan GTR R35 Spec V.
Old 09-17-08, 09:52 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Great points, but what if the car was powered by the same IS-F motor with the hybrid electric drive to augment the low end torque to off-set the additional weight penalty a GS would carry over an IS sedan ? The same hotrod sound, an additional 40+ horsepower, instant torque boost (don't know how much additional tq), same brakes and sport interior.

Just dreaming....
yah but still.. i think they would supercharge the 5.0 liter and get maybe 516-550 rather then spending all the time and effort on that.. not to mention.. they already have a hybrid GS... and i think the 8 speed tranny is much better then the hybrid drive systems for sports cars...
Old 09-17-08, 09:57 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
I considered a GS450h, but decided to get the IS-F because the price was roughly the same and having owned and driven an 05 Prius and RX400h, I thought it was time to move on to something that wasn't a hybrid...it was kinda toooo quiet...plus I like owning and driving the IS-F because it's the first F car by Lexus...kinda like owning the first M3 by BMW...heh Plus my next car in maybe 3 years hopefully when prices are good and it is released will be a Nissan GTR R35 Spec V.
Yep, there's something to be said about the sound of a car and it's associated personality.
I hope someday to combine the power and sound of a Z06 vette, the comfort and space of a full size sedan (GS), the added fuel economy of a hybrid electric/gas drive train and the reliability of a Lexus.

Hopefully someday....
Old 09-17-08, 10:03 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

yah but still.. i think they would supercharge the 5.0 liter and get maybe 516-550 rather then spending all the time and effort on that.. not to mention.. they already have a hybrid GS... and i think the 8 speed tranny is much better then the hybrid drive systems for sports cars...
You wouldn't get any arguments from me on that combo.
TRD has just released their Eaton S/C for the 3UR 5.7 liter motor that's in the Tundra/LX570. Just over 500 hp in that state ot tune for truck use.

Still, if they could get me the level of performance of an IS-F with the economy of a quasi hybrid using the 8 speed tranny.....
Old 09-17-08, 10:09 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timeToy

You're the only one that has both a 450h and an IS-F.
Question...from that 20-50 or 60-80 mph sprint, how well does your 450h hang with your IS-F ?
Old 09-18-08, 12:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i agree with most of your points but not on the ls600hl. it has awd, you can't just purely look at the gas mileage numbers, awd always get worse gas mileage. if you read the ls460 forum, an owner with ls460 and now ls600hl got better gas mileage

cars in this league, looking at 0-60 is a mood point. it's the high end pick up speed where they shine. just like most other v12, look at the pick up speed above 60mph, the 600hl picks up much better than the ls460 all the way to 120 or 130

but again, you did bring up a very good point about hybrid system put too much weight burden to make a car fast in the mid 4 range, let alone the handling

Quick Reply: Would any of the IS-F owners had considered a GS-F, if available ?