IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Would any of the IS-F owners had considered a GS-F, if available ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-08, 01:14 AM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree with most of your points but not on the ls600hl. it has awd, you can't just purely look at the gas mileage numbers, awd always get worse gas mileage. if you read the ls460 forum, an owner with ls460 and now ls600hl got better gas mileage

cars in this league, looking at 0-60 is a mood point. it's the high end pick up speed where they shine. just like most other v12, look at the pick up speed above 60mph, the 600hl picks up much better than the ls460 all the way to 120 or 130

but again, you did bring up a very good point about hybrid system put too much weight burden to make a car fast in the mid 4 range, let alone the handling
well.. if im not mistaken.. i believe most hybrids are awd in order to get the most energy to charge the batteries? (by breaking?) and by doing so already have the the capability of making it a AWD vehicle? i donno though....

I know the GS450hl isnt AWD.. but somehow the LS600 is getting a extra 40 HP.. cause the 5.0 Liter 2UR-FSE engine only puts of 389HP while the 2UR-GSE (IS-F) Engine is 416 (Possible 417) depends on how they measure it

Last edited by btwanky; 09-18-08 at 01:28 AM.
Old 09-18-08, 04:29 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timeToy
I have a '07 GS450h (that I trying to sell...) and just moved to the '08 IS-F. Thanks to the Hybrid power train the GS450h has a fantastic pick-up, linear, silent, powerful, it is really hard to match or beat it, the GS 450h has a lot of power from 20 to 50 or from 60 to 80, but that about it, you will be able to accelerate very hard for 4 to 6 seconds, not more... My GS 450h is modified, lowered, with a high flow intake and exhaust, performance tires, and some suspension braces, yet it doesn't even come close to the handling, power and overall tight feeling of the IS-F...

Now the IS-F is my car, it is not a family car, not a representation car, not a commuter car, it is a pleasure car, and that's exactly what I was looking for...
This is the EXACT example I was speaking about... and I LOVE your car, would be PMing you if I was ready to pull the trigger... I LOVE the IS-F and your GS450h is amazing (and gives me pause to again be sure I have eliminated all car options).

Again my concern here is the ride over bad pavement in WI + rear seating, but for short trips the back wasn't so bad in my old IS... and I keep hearing about great mileage for IS-F on freeway... this will be my daily driver, so I believe once I drove the GS450h for a while I would come to the same conclusion.... want the sportiness and "raw animal" characteristics of the IS-F...

GREAT FEEDBACK!!!
Old 09-18-08, 07:29 AM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
This is the EXACT example I was speaking about... and I LOVE your car, would be PMing you if I was ready to pull the trigger... I LOVE the IS-F and your GS450h is amazing (and gives me pause to again be sure I have eliminated all car options).

Again my concern here is the ride over bad pavement in WI + rear seating, but for short trips the back wasn't so bad in my old IS... and I keep hearing about great mileage for IS-F on freeway... this will be my daily driver, so I believe once I drove the GS450h for a while I would come to the same conclusion.... want the sportiness and "raw animal" characteristics of the IS-F...

GREAT FEEDBACK!!!
Your points are my feeling exactly. It's the lack of back seat leg room that gives me pause on the IS because I take passengers with me on trips of 700 miles + on a semi regular basis (older parents many of the times).
My GS is large enough for their comfort, but I also want the new performance packages to play with when I'm solo.

The feedback provided on comparing the 450h and the IS-F in general performance is great. I can only guess what a 450h with an IS-F ice drive train would do.
Old 09-18-08, 08:21 AM
btwanky
Lead Lap

i must admit... the IS-F does it great gas millage on the highway on cruise control... i would get like 27, 28... but i drive pretty rough in the city... and currently only getting anywhere between 11-12.......
Old 09-18-08, 08:37 AM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by btwanky
i must admit... the IS-F does it great gas millage on the highway on cruise control... i would get like 27, 28... but i drive pretty rough in the city... and currently only getting anywhere between 11-12.......
The overall package is definetly hard to beat...and.....it's a Lexus to boot.
Just wish it was a little bigger inside.
Old 09-18-08, 10:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well.. if im not mistaken.. i believe most hybrids are awd in order to get the most energy to charge the batteries? (by breaking?) and by doing so already have the the capability of making it a AWD vehicle? i donno though....

I know the GS450hl isnt AWD.. but somehow the LS600 is getting a extra 40 HP.. cause the 5.0 Liter 2UR-FSE engine only puts of 389HP while the 2UR-GSE (IS-F) Engine is 416 (Possible 417) depends on how they measure it
hybrid doesn't mean awd, the two engines can drive the same axle as in some examples out there already. it's just so happened that the 600hl has awd system (to help handling supposedly).

but what i was trying to say is you cannot directly put awd and fwd/rwd numbers together for comparison, because awd vehicles always have more powertrain loss and thus "worse" gas mileage

and if you look at the 600hl, it's rated, 20/22, where ls460 is rated 16/24. 600hl is significantly better on local, and the combined mpg is also better on the 600hl. if 600hl is rwd as well, then the gas mileage will be even better
Old 09-18-08, 03:50 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vrferrari
I understand and it your decision makes sense. The IS car fit your taste and had ample interior space for your needs. I'm wondering if you would have been coming from a GS class car (meaning space wise), if you would have given up the interior comfort for the performance aspect.
before i had my is250 i had a camry so i was used to a little more room inside. but i dont have kids and i never put anyone in my back seat. i do however fill my trunk and sometimes back seat every morning picking up mail for my job before i go in... the IS has just enough room for me... but i do see how for some people a GS-F would be a better fit
Old 09-18-08, 03:53 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

well.. to my prior knowledge.. the 2012 model year (starting august 2011) the GS-F will be out... and is suppose to have the same engine as the LF-A a 4.8 liter 552hp N.A. engine...
Old 09-18-08, 05:14 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
before i had my is250 i had a camry so i was used to a little more room inside. but i dont have kids and i never put anyone in my back seat. i do however fill my trunk and sometimes back seat every morning picking up mail for my job before i go in... the IS has just enough room for me... but i do see how for some people a GS-F would be a better fit
To bad the car is just in my dreams . Until that day, the IS-F rains supreme for the Lexus hotrod world.

Enjoy
Old 09-18-08, 05:17 PM
vrferrari
Pole Position

well.. to my prior knowledge.. the 2012 model year (starting august 2011) the GS-F will be out... and is suppose to have the same engine as the LF-A a 4.8 liter 552hp N.A. engine...
I think the latest word is that the GS-F car is onhold indefinetly. Lexus bean counters do not think there is a market for this car in the current economic market