IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Aftermarket SIRIUS Install in IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 05:51 PM
phantax
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Aftermarket SIRIUS Install in IS-F

So I am 5 minutes off the lot in my new IS-F, cruising with the windows down, I reach for the SAT button... hmm, nothing but AM radio stations on my SIRIUS?

I called the dealer when I got home and basically explained that I was confused why a $60k car does not come standard with my beloved satellite radio I have become so accustomed to. He offered to put the Sirius module in my car, but I requested that there be no external antennas attached. The installer I talked with said they use a stick on windshield mount antenna which was a deal-breaker for me, so I decided to put an aftermarket kit in myself.

You will need the SIRIUS SCC1 vehicle tuner and the TOY-SC1 vehicle interface. If you wish to also use the shark fin antenna and not have an external antenna, you will also need the adapter cable from VAIS.

There is a much better writeup of taking out the NAV on an is350, but here is the quick run down, you can do the whole install in under an hour.

First disconnect your negative battery terminal.
Next, pull up both pieces of side trim next to the ash tray, and unscrew the shift ****. Everything clips together, so its really easy to pop off. Once these are off the center console will snap right out. There are 2 plugs which need to be undone. Remove the 2 phillips screws and the ash tray module will also slide out.

The hardest part was removing the AC vents, there are 4 clips that must be pulled down and then the whole vent will slide out.

Remove the 4 bolts with a small ratchet and the whole nav system will come right out.

Plug in the harness from the TOY-SC1 to the back of the nav / stereo and run the line down to the area the ash tray occupies. The TOY-SC1 module is tucked in the left side underneath the ash tray.

The SCC1 connects to both the antenna and the toy-sc1. There is enough room to stick this directly to the left of the shifter. (Grey / Black box).

At this point you can use the included antenna and mount it anywhere you like, however I wanted to use the built in shark-fin antenna. You will need to remove the trunk liner to get to the wiring, and there is also a good writeup on how to do this if you are not familiar.

The plug we need is pictured sitting loose on top of the factory amp, however it was bundled up and tied to some of the other wiring as it was unused from the factory.

Plug the VAIS antenna adapter cable in and run the cable through the hole behind the rear seats (white cable pictured). The door sills pop right off and takes only a few minutes to run the antenna cable to the front passenger foot area. The cable will go behind the carpeting and come up under the center console, make sure to free up any slack as there is just enough cable to make this run.

Plug the antenna cable into the scc1, snap everything back together and listen to some tunes.

I got the tuner and interface combo off of ebay for $140 shipped, about $100 less than the VAIS solution. The antenna adapter cable was $59 from VAIS.
Old 09-23-08, 07:28 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, awesome DIY write up
Old 09-24-08, 10:59 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very impressive

How's the SAT reception? Any drop offs?
Old 09-24-08, 11:27 AM
rutiger
Rookie

did the same in mine a few weeks back. reception is as good as any other vehicle i've had sirius in. all vehicles i've had sirius in have had roof mount (or similar) and i've never used the bs stick-on antenna.
Old 09-24-08, 11:44 AM
phantax
Rookie

I haven't noticed any drop offs as of yet, but I have only had it setup for 2 days.

In my previous car I used the magnetic antenna and would get a second or two of drops going under large overpasses, but I think it all depends on the buffer in your tuner.

Rutiger: did you use the DEI interface or did you go with the VAIStech one?
Old 09-24-08, 11:44 AM
newzfirst
Driver School Candidate

Great write up, I am getting my XM installed on Friday with my iPod connector.
Old 09-24-08, 11:51 AM
phantax
Rookie

Originally Posted by newzfirst
Great write up, I am getting my XM installed on Friday with my iPod connector.
Are you getting aftermarket parts? It was my understanding you cannot have both SAT and iPod interfaces with the OEM stuff as they both use the SAT button.
Old 09-24-08, 12:29 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Cool. How is the sound quality? I have the factory Sirius and it sounds like crap. Like I'm listening to AM.
Old 09-24-08, 12:39 PM
newzfirst
Driver School Candidate

No, I picked up the XM receiver (from lexus) and purchased the VAIS SL2i-UP which I now notice does not have an extra AUX input.
Old 09-24-08, 03:25 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Mine came w/ dealer installed, including a shark fin. While it sounds clear and tight, I have quite a few drop offs during 20-min drive.

Originally Posted by phantax
I haven't noticed any drop offs as of yet, but I have only had it setup for 2 days.

In my previous car I used the magnetic antenna and would get a second or two of drops going under large overpasses, but I think it all depends on the buffer in your tuner.

Old 09-24-08, 03:45 PM
rutiger
Rookie

i did the VAIS
Old 09-24-08, 03:50 PM
rutiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by primecut
Cool. How is the sound quality? I have the factory Sirius and it sounds like crap. Like I'm listening to AM.
sound quality is excellent. you either have some funky fm transmitter crap or another issue. it's of course not cd quality, but certainly should sound much better than am/fm.
Old 09-24-08, 03:57 PM
phantax
Rookie

Originally Posted by avgj0F
Mine came w/ dealer installed, including a shark fin. While it sounds clear and tight, I have quite a few drop offs during 20-min drive.
Are you sure you dont have a windshield stick-on antenna? It would be mounted near your rear-view mirror.

Looks like this:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...nInstall24.jpg
Old 09-24-08, 04:55 PM
50ISF50
Rookie

Are you getting aftermarket parts? It was my understanding you cannot have both SAT and iPod interfaces with the OEM stuff as they both use the SAT button.
Nope, the iPod uses the CD button while the SIRIUS/XM uses the SAT button.
Old 09-24-08, 10:52 PM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Yep.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks.

Are you sure you dont have a windshield stick-on antenna? It would be mounted near your rear-view mirror.

Looks like this:
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...nInstall24.jpg