IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

is this oil usable on the IS-F?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 06:49 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is this oil usable on the IS-F?

fact: okay I do know that for engine oil the recommend is 5W-30. I checked up on this..

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/sso.aspx

"PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil is the industry benchmark in lubrication technology. Engineered with the world’s finest synthetic base oils and high performance additives, AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 is designed for those who demand the absolute best in motor oil performance. The exclusive “extended drain” formulation delivers superior engine protection and maximum fuel economy. AMSOIL Signature Series 0W-30 is a premium grade synthetic motor oil that exceeds the requirements of modern, high-performance engines and older engines. It replaces other 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 motor oils and consistently outperforms competitive conventional and synthetic motor oils.

AMSOIL, the leader in automotive synthetic lubrication, produced the world’s first API qualified synthetic motor oil in 1972. Trust the extensive experience of AMSOIL The First in Synthetics® to do the best job protecting your engine."

Now I do know that most times if you have a fully synthetic oil that fits the specs and as long as its maintained in a regular basis it shouldnt make that much of a difference...but at the same time...my only guess would be this oil would be more optimum for the car being it is a high performance engine?

thank you very much
Cody
Old 09-23-08, 06:52 PM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ohh yeah i forgot to add but before i used mobil 1 full synthetic extended performance but it seems the AMSOIL is a better choice?
Old 09-23-08, 07:32 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,955 Likes on 2,395 Posts

There isn't a substantive difference between synthetics despite what many want to claim. Amsoil is a fine product, but you really don't need a 0w oil. Mobil 1 is also a fine oil, but the extended performance doesn't mean it's better, it just has more additives to supposedly run longer in the engine. Personally, I just run ordinary Mobil 1 in both my NA engines and Red Line in my Supra. I also do oil analysis on occasion to confirm I'm not running to short or too long between oil changes.

Discussions about which oil is "better" is like which religion is better. It's pretty pointless. All the synthetics, even the Group III synthetics are way overkill for street driving as long as you drive far enough to heat the oil adequately every time you go somewhere. Short trips are murder on oil - ANY oil - so with as much oil as the IS-F holds, you'll want to drive at least 15 minutes just to get things warmed up fully.

You need the heat to get the condensation out of the oil. It's a bit of a long story, but suffice it to say, if you don't run long enough and get the oil hot, it will break down a LOT faster.
Old 09-23-08, 07:58 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything lobuxracer says I agree with. Let me add that I had one interval with Mobil 1 in my Marauder engine that after 3500 miles was *done* as far as additives/detergents go because of the short trips. Whereas I had longer trips on my daily schedule it was still in very good shape after 4500 miles. Verified via oil analysis.

I've run different synthetics (PP, Mobil 1, Royal Purple) and they vary only very slightly IMO. I would argue that some of my engines "prefer" one oil vs. another but those are very minor differences I notice.
Old 09-23-08, 10:53 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

i just let lexus do mine... it obviously costs alot... but for what ever reason... if the car has a problem.. they will most likely blame that
Old 09-24-08, 09:36 AM
nuttybar08
Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
There isn't a substantive difference between synthetics despite what many want to claim. Amsoil is a fine product, but you really don't need a 0w oil. Mobil 1 is also a fine oil, but the extended performance doesn't mean it's better, it just has more additives to supposedly run longer in the engine. Personally, I just run ordinary Mobil 1 in both my NA engines and Red Line in my Supra. I also do oil analysis on occasion to confirm I'm not running to short or too long between oil changes.

Discussions about which oil is "better" is like which religion is better. It's pretty pointless. All the synthetics, even the Group III synthetics are way overkill for street driving as long as you drive far enough to heat the oil adequately every time you go somewhere. Short trips are murder on oil - ANY oil - so with as much oil as the IS-F holds, you'll want to drive at least 15 minutes just to get things warmed up fully.

You need the heat to get the condensation out of the oil. It's a bit of a long story, but suffice it to say, if you don't run long enough and get the oil hot, it will break down a LOT faster.
+1.

I too have noticed that the F takes quite a bit longer to warm up (about 15 minutes, as you stated) than my "4.5 quart" 4G63.
Old 09-25-08, 04:25 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

I do not have an IS-F (yet ) but I have run Amsoil in all my cars over the last 15 years (IS250, BMW, Mustang GT....) and will not make this into a commercial but Amsoil breakdown is the least of any I have used (Mobil, Havoline, etc.) and I had the viscocity checked on both my Stang and BMW. Both cars were driven in heavy Atlanta traffic daily. In WI with mostly highway, breakdown is even less.

As far as IS-F warming up and heat issues, I will defer to the obvious experience stated above, but I for one plan to run Amsoil in my IS-F (one day )...

my $.02...
Old 09-26-08, 11:46 PM
TherealFIG
Driver

I have a nice oil analysis from Black stone on 21K oil and 28K (oops) oil changes. 21K miles and the severe duty Amsoil still had plenty of TBU to keep going. The 28K oil (missed my interval on the wife's runner) was pretty thinned, not much TBU left, but no signs of high level metallics.

Just my practice, I am happy with the Amsoil combo of nano, syn filters and 25K 1yr service intervals.
I''l be moving the ISF over in a few hundred more miles.

Fig