IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

How about a national IS-F drag competition?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 07:04 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HKS350
I'll check at the new ZMax dragway but its 3hrs from the house. I'll have a new wheel & tire setup @ the frist of the year. Next year's project is sick **** handling so light weight wheels are in order.
BTW nice run. We'd have a good race in the 1/8th. Congrats and send me your paypal I owe you a $20 spot.
Hey, I'm not done yet... I got one more shot (long shot). Also, I'm surprised some of the California guys haven't chimed in here. There are supposedly some great dragstrips out there that regularly have low DAs.
Old 11-24-08, 09:15 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
The MT hooked up so hard, that I had ZERO slip. However, as Caymandive said, brake torqueing beyond 1500 rpm and it would have major slip. I tried no burn out and it would slip like crazy too.

MTs are great if you got gobs of low end torque but the actual lack of slip or the lack of a high stall torque converter in our car prevents it from being a true drag car.

One thing I want to reiterate one more time is the actual timing of the upshift. Don't upshift the moment you hear the beep. Wait a fraction of a second before it hits the rev limiter. It seems to make a 2 mph or so difference in my trap speeds and about .1 or so on the ET.
+1 to all of that.

I even tried lowering the M/T tire pressures down to 19psi and they would still start to break loose above 1500rpm. So in a nutshell launching the car from idle the car will bog for a moment and if you launch the car around 1490rpm the car will jolt forward then bog then take off again. In my videos in high resolution you can see this happening and it just sucks. Best way to get a good launch on this car is with street tires, launching around 1100rpm and just pray that the track prep is good enough to prevent the tires from going up in smoke when you hit the gas, but with just enough wheel spin to keep the momentum and rpms up.

So why would I still recommend using drag radials? Because it will at least keep you consistent on your launches and one less thing to worry about when making passes.
Old 11-24-08, 11:03 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nice work caymandive. congrats.
Old 11-29-08, 04:44 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Well, I guess I'm going to need Caymandive's paypal address. This was supposed to be the last weekened for Great Lakes Dragaway to open but they decided to close so I won't get that last shot at it.

Congratulations Caymandive! BTW, I always suspected a 12.3 was possible under great weather conditions!
Old 11-29-08, 05:05 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I'll PM you guys with my paypal addy. It was fun everyone!
Old 11-29-08, 06:28 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caymandive
Trying to break the 12.40 requirement that Toothdoc put into the rules I went out today with the wifey for a test & tune day at MIR and finally did it. The car ran very consistent today thanks to the M/T drag radials. The only benefit I'm getting from the drag radials is the consistent launches, but still unable to get below the 1.9x 60ft range. Along with the transmission having a low stall speed and the tires starting to spin if I bring the rpms above 1500 at the line I'm finding it near impossible to ever see myself getting a 1.8x 60ft which would knock a 1/10th or two off the final ET. All this is fine with me though and I have to remind myself that this is a Lexus and I don't want to mess with the drive ability of the car or break anything. I have run the car from Summer to late fall this year to see how it does with various Density Altitudes, so if I decide to do any mods in the next year I should have a pretty descent baseline to compare.

Here is a video from today thanks to my wife. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAl2kSlsAP8&fmt=18
Great runs, very consistant!

You almost had that camaro, but that 1.206 60ft time was just too hard to beat!
Old 01-16-09, 11:50 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default Thanks

Well I just wanted to end this thread by acknowledging each of the 2008 participants and to say thank you to the members who upheld their end of the deal and paid up. To be fair I wont' be part of the 2009 competition so it should be interesting. 2009 we have full exhausts available, some intakes and just maybe an option of a ECU tune.

List of 2008 participants:

1. ToothDoc (It was fun!)
2. caymandive
3. dkaplan435 (did not pay up)
4. DRE1615 (Thanks Dre)
5. HKS350 (Thanks Jeremy. Looking forward to see what you can do in 2009!)

Last edited by caymandive; 01-17-09 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-16-09, 03:24 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

3. Dkaplan435 (did not pay up)
loser..............

Last edited by combfilter; 01-17-09 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-16-09, 07:51 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

It was fun. Check your gmail cole, I took care of the other two guys. BTW, I probably won't go drag racing next year (maybe once) unless I know I can significantly improve on my time this year. The 12.44 and 12.49 were more of outlier runs the evening I ran (most of my runs that day were 12.5-12.6)

I did get a VBOX from racelogic. I've read that they're more accurate than the G-meters I had (I had two of them) and I also got a car cam - 170 degree field of vision. I'm planning on doing more track day kind of stuff this year. I'm not sure if I'll do it in the F or get a beater track car.
Old 01-16-09, 08:03 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
losers...........
Not representing the Midwest well.
Old 01-17-09, 05:38 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

It was fun. Check your gmail cole, I took care of the other two guys. BTW, I probably won't go drag racing next year (maybe once) unless I know I can significantly improve on my time this year. The 12.44 and 12.49 were more of outlier runs the evening I ran (most of my runs that day were 12.5-12.6)

I did get a VBOX from racelogic. I've read that they're more accurate than the G-meters I had (I had two of them) and I also got a car cam - 170 degree field of vision. I'm planning on doing more track day kind of stuff this year. I'm not sure if I'll do it in the F or get a beater track car.
ToothDoc your gesture to take care of the other two guys is above and beyond and obviously I can't accept the offer. The other two guys are grown adults and can take responsibility for themselves and make their own decisions.
Old 01-17-09, 05:56 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ToothDoc your gesture to take care of the other two guys is above and beyond and obviously I can't accept the offer. The other two guys are grown adults and can take responsibility for themselves and make their own decisions.
Cash sent.

Last edited by DRE1615; 01-17-09 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-03-09, 11:13 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the fastest STOCK 1/4 mile IS-F time reported?
Old 02-04-09, 05:51 AM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Question is, what do you mean by stock? FULLY factory stock? In caymandive and my case, we probably had almost 100 pounds of stuff out (spare tire and jack, in my case rims, and I think caymandive had a lighter battery) but no power mods were done in our cases. So 12.38 ET
Old 02-04-09, 06:09 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Question is, what do you mean by stock? FULLY factory stock? In caymandive and my case, we probably had almost 100 pounds of stuff out (spare tire and jack, in my case rims, and I think caymandive had a lighter battery) but no power mods were done in our cases. So 12.38 ET
Here is a run down on the weight reductions for me with the car having ZERO power mods. Just to note the 18" IS350 wheels that I use at the strip with drag tires weigh more than the OEM 19" IS'F rear wheels by about 1lb each and only used for consistent launches. Key word being consistent as they will not yield quicker ETs. Reason being the stall speed on the tranny is too low to give a powerful jump out of the hole so the best way to get quicker launches is by going with a lighter weight wheel/tire combo as tooth doc has and other weight reductions such as running low fluid levels (gas, windshield) and not being overweight helps too.

-7 lbs (engine covers)
-6 lbs (trunk mats)
-36 lbs (spare/jack/tools)
-26.5 lbs (lightweight battery kit)
TOTAL 75.5lbs
So not quite 100lbs but closer to 75lbs is easily achieved without stripping the car into a un-Lexus type ride.

Quick Reply: How about a national IS-F drag competition?