IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

My IS-F Test Drive Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-08, 05:08 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
It's actually more like 15K difference (not 25K). I also had the same thoughts when I first read about the IS-F vs. the IS350. I used to have an IS350. I wasn't sure that 15K was worth it especially when 3K gave 100 extra HP and better brakes over the IS250.

I would've easily paid 5K for another 100 hp when I had the IS350. Would you guys pay 3K as an option for the 8 speed tranny? I would've. How about the suspension and Brembo brake setup and BBS forged wheels and PS2 tires? In the end, when you add up all the upgrades, the IS-F is simply an IS350 with more options.

Oddly enough, the throttle response seems quicker in the IS350 under sport mode than the IS-F in sport mode. BUT, if you mash it alllll the way down, you will never mix up the IS-F and IS350. The IS350 will chirp the tires when shifting from 1-2 whereas the IS-F will spin and go sideways in the 1-2 shift if you have traction control disabled. On cooler days, I'll spin in 2nd gear at 50 mph! There is definitely a good deal more power.

In the end, is it worth 15K to you? It doesn't fit everybody's budget, but after owning it since March, I'm glad I swapped cars.

BTW, the cars does feel heavier... it is about 300 pounds. I suspect for autocrossing in a short track, a properly modded IS350 will probably beat the IS-F but on a big power track, the IS-F will win hands down.
I agree 100% with Tooth Doc. In my opinion, there really is no comparing the two. The IS-350 isn't even close to the IS-F. The F handles better, is much faster and stops better.

When I owned the 350 it was always in sport mode, same w/ IS-F.
Old 10-05-08, 05:21 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody has to justify there choices somehow... IS350 owners who want the IS-F but can't get one for one reason or another will most of the time try to justify by saying it is not worth the extra money...
Old 10-05-08, 09:21 AM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Guys I've owned 2 IS350's in the past and driven them enough and now i have an IS-F....It does feel heavier and it feels not as responsive till 3k rpm but above that IS-F is totally different car....Steering feel itself is much better than IS350 and speed doesn't even compare between the 2. Given both cars are rolling and decides to go...Not trying to put 350 down and i still think 350 is a very good car for the money, but IS-F is a very different car in driving aspect...you guys have to drive them enough to justify the price difference...One test drive is not enough
Old 10-05-08, 09:53 AM
foup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indeed the F is 250 lbs heavier but it's also way more powerful and the V8 is very smooth too. The F gear box is very fast. The F is less comfortable and so very feel very tight on mountain roads. Not really the same cars, it's like comparing apple to oranges, like comparing a 335i to a M3 or a C350 to a C63.

It's true it's hard to find opportunities to use the power and the more powerful the car is the harder it is to exploit its potential. The same could be said between the IS350 and the IS250, do you really need 300HP or would 200HP suffice? In every day driving, everywhere in the US, you could get buy just fine with 120HP. When you own a F you start to realize what it must feel to own a Ferrari or a Lambo (unless you drive it on a track every week-end, but that's 0.01% of the population), you just own a powerful car and that sometimes feel totally useless... In my case I manage to use the power about 5% of the time and the exhilaration seems worth it, so far.
Old 10-05-08, 01:08 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Everybody has to justify there choices somehow... IS350 owners who want the IS-F but can't get one for one reason or another will most of the time try to justify by saying it is not worth the extra money...
Agree whole heartedly Dave!

Having driven the IS350, the 335 coupe, A4 and the C350 while they are all decent vehicles none of them are in the same ballpark as the ISF, M3, RS4 or C63 AMG. The looks of the car are subjective and up to the individual buyer. However, the fact that the ISF will compete (not necessarily win but is a tenth of a second that important?) with the other super sedans easily justifies the expense considering the ISF is an average of $10K cheaper than the other three with similar outfitting.

Pricing a fully loaded IS350 with luxury/nav package, wheel & exhaust upgrade is $58 438 (Lexus of Canada website) while a fully loaded ISF is $68 916. Is the additional power and track capability worth $10 500? In my opinion easily! The IS350 is a very nice car but not in the same category as the ISF.
Old 10-05-08, 01:13 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

personally, between the IS and ISF I would either take the IS250 (affordable and fun), or the IS-F. It is interesting how the current pricing here in Canada works.
Old 10-05-08, 02:17 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
Just to be fair, some IS-F owners may also feel inclined to justify the extra money they've spent over getting a IS350 right?

Unfortunately I've never driven the 250 or the 350, but I'm surprised that some of you feel that the F is heavy compared to the 350. What's the weight difference between the 2? I'm coming from a 350z which is far lighter and a lot more nimble, but the F doesn't feel heavy to me at all. That's pretty interesting.

It's true that the F is very "lethargic" per say when sport mode is off. Shifting is buttery smooth, throttle is soft and laggy, steering is light. Once the sport mode is on, it becomes a different beast. So perhaps you test drove it without sport mode. Contrary to what others are saying though, I actually like it that the F can be very Lexus-like, but only if you want it to be. For example, when I'm going out with the wifey and just cruising and relaxing, I keep sport mode off with auto, and the car behaves like a luxury Lexus. Then I flip the switch and I have a beast. The jekyll and hyde nature of the F is a true selling point to me. It allows the best of both worlds.
Old 10-05-08, 02:42 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by primecut
Just to be fair, some IS-F owners may also feel inclined to justify the extra money they've spent over getting a IS350 right?

Unfortunately I've never driven the 250 or the 350, but I'm surprised that some of you feel that the F is heavy compared to the 350. What's the weight difference between the 2? I'm coming from a 350z which is far lighter and a lot more nimble, but the F doesn't feel heavy to me at all. That's pretty interesting.

It's true that the F is very "lethargic" per say when sport mode is off. Shifting is buttery smooth, throttle is soft and laggy, steering is light. Once the sport mode is on, it becomes a different beast. So perhaps you test drove it without sport mode. Contrary to what others are saying though, I actually like it that the F can be very Lexus-like, but only if you want it to be. For example, when I'm going out with the wifey and just cruising and relaxing, I keep sport mode off with auto, and the car behaves like a luxury Lexus. Then I flip the switch and I have a beast. The jekyll and hyde nature of the F is a true selling point to me. It allows the best of both worlds.
Well said primecut!

According to Road & Track's data the ISF is only 210 lbs more than the IS350 (curb weight).

I completely agree that the dual nature of the car is its greatest asset!

P.S. Most of the time it's wifey that's bugging me to push our ISF harder so she can enjoy the ride
Old 10-05-08, 07:04 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Primecut,

I too like the fact that the F is a dual personality car. Lexus smooth (you can hardly feel the shifts) when you want it to be, and a beast (especially in Sport Mode with the traction control off). My wife drives a 2008 BMW 335i convert, but she likes to drive my F whenever necessary. My preference is the F.
Old 10-05-08, 09:48 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed. Looks like you guys have wives that love that speed! ha ha

Hm.. If the IS-F is only 200lbs heavier, then I think the weight difference wouldn't be that noticeable, oh well.

For the 2IS owners that think the IS-F looks boy racer or bulgy, I'd suggest reserving judgment until you see one in person. I agreed with the sentiment about its looks until I saw it at the dealership for the 1st time.
Old 10-05-08, 11:05 PM
TherealFIG
Driver

I had the opp to buy a preowned 350 for nearlyhalf as much. I drove the 350 through my favorite canyon spot and I after pushing it through the paces on closing radius blind corners, getting frustrated with the tranny response and overall unimpressed with its corner entry, I decided to pass. Its a great car otherwise, very nice interior, great accleration that puts you back in your seat. I felt however that once I touched the F, I was ruined. I took the F on the same stretch after I owned it and was showing a local club member the difference and when I got done I had pulled so many g in so many directions, I got out of the car and felt like I just went sailing hahaha. The capabilites of the F are just more refined, more track like and overall it was the closest to my Gen 1 IS (after my mods.) There still seem to be some corner cases in the ECU and trac that I am figureing out, but this is a true two-face with luxury on demand and all out ridiculousness when you want that instead. Nothing beats taking out a few co workers and being able to lay a controlled throttle drift around a corner...meanwhile you are constantly looking for cops because this car could be your undoing at any moment .

The looks of the car in person are drastically different that pics fors ome reason. May it is the just the scale of the vehicle that is missing. The snout, the brakes and the cabin surrounding all play into making this one hell of a driving experience.

Fig
Old 10-05-08, 11:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by TherealFIG
I had the opp to buy a preowned 350 for nearlyhalf as much. I drove the 350 through my favorite canyon spot and I after pushing it through the paces on closing radius blind corners, getting frustrated with the tranny response and overall unimpressed with its corner entry, I decided to pass. Its a great car otherwise, very nice interior, great accleration that puts you back in your seat. I felt however that once I touched the F, I was ruined. I took the F on the same stretch after I owned it and was showing a local club member the difference and when I got done I had pulled so many g in so many directions, I got out of the car and felt like I just went sailing hahaha. The capabilites of the F are just more refined, more track like and overall it was the closest to my Gen 1 IS (after my mods.) There still seem to be some corner cases in the ECU and trac that I am figureing out, but this is a true two-face with luxury on demand and all out ridiculousness when you want that instead. Nothing beats taking out a few co workers and being able to lay a controlled throttle drift around a corner...meanwhile you are constantly looking for cops because this car could be your undoing at any moment .

The looks of the car in person are drastically different that pics fors ome reason. May it is the just the scale of the vehicle that is missing. The snout, the brakes and the cabin surrounding all play into making this one hell of a driving experience.

Fig
Well said. I too had the chance to track an IS-F and it was an absolute beast. The only other place I've felt such G's was on roller coaster rides at Magic Mountain. The instructor later pushed the car even harder and it would just not lose grip no matter what he did. You could feel the tires grinding and shredding, but it held. Totally out of this world and hard to describe using everyday English words (there are none that fit).
Old 10-05-08, 11:32 PM
larrysb
Driver

The "normal mode" is how the F avoids gas guzzler tax. It's pretty much just a pleasant and smooth driver with a bit of kick in normal mode. It's like daily driver mode. And why not? If you have to putz around in traffic on your way to work, there's no particular reason not to be comfortable.

In sport mode, it really comes alive and there's absolutely no comparison to the 350. None whatsoever.

I think the dealers are gassing them up with regular. This engine LOVES hi-octane and detunes quickly on the lo-test.

Beyond that, it handles better and stops better and I greatly prefer the snug seats. Heck, I wouldn't mind if they were a considerably firmer and more supportive. My favorite cars seats are the Porsche sport seats in the 997, which are about as anti-Lexus as they get.

The styling cues are about right to my eye. It's got stance, but nothing silly like the goofy rice-racer spoiler they put on the WRX scooby.

You would have never ever got me into a IS350. My last car was a 6spd convertible Corvette that I just loved. It was time to update after 6 years and I was looking at M3, C63 AMG and the 911S.

The only thing I really, really feel is lacking is a stick.
Old 10-06-08, 12:46 AM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by larrysb
The only thing I really, really feel is lacking is a stick.
Well, you are not alone. Toyota seems to ignore us on this one.
Old 10-09-08, 10:42 AM
SilverBull
Advanced

I don't need to point out this stuff now since owners do it for me. That is how my test drive went as well in a few sentences.

Quick Reply: My IS-F Test Drive Experience