Completed R&D on PTS Dual Exhaust System Joe Z series & Joe Z Intake for IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 07:03 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisburke
??????

been out of the seen for a couple of months.. into dif hobbies now but wouldnt mind an Exhaust.
heh...you just disappeared man...lol
Old 10-06-08, 10:00 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Talking

Hello my fellow CL members & friends!!!

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for all the kind words..

The "Joe Z Intake Pipe" is a concept I have offered the past 6 years in the IS300 and now IS250/IS350 since 2006..
So that was a no brainer for me to make, as long as it perfomed well.

Lots of hard work went into that exhaust and we couldn't do it with out the help of "CrazMPG"

PTS (Performace Tube Systems) is very happy to be part of this project as well.
They are looking forward to making many IS-F owners happier than they already are...

Joe Z

Originally Posted by flipside909
I've driven this car, i've heard it from outside...and this exhaust is what the IS-F should have come with from the beginning. It's very clean, not raspy and as you can see, the power gains are pretty impressive.
Originally Posted by javyLSU
Driving Phillip's car made me go home and start crunching numbers to see if I could buy an IS-F...
The IS-F "Z-Edition" sounds great, and is bark as well as bite!
I think we all owe Phillip a tank of gas though...

Javier
Originally Posted by Damage
I saw that intake in person and it looks great.
Originally Posted by caymandive
Sounds and looks very very good!
Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
This system looks awesome!

Great job, on two new successful products JOE-Z!
Originally Posted by TherealFIG
Looks great Joe.

Fig
Originally Posted by White98ARISTO
Congrats to Phil and Joe. The combo sounds sick.

-Tommy
Originally Posted by kyang91
Damn that sounds really nice.....
Old 10-06-08, 10:29 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb Questions & Answers

Hello Gang..

I am going to do my best to answers all of your questions…
Sorry its taken we a while to get in here, but some of you who know me well, know my day job…
Its been a real joy ride the last couple of weeks…!!!

Originally Posted by Supraman16
Will you still be able to pass smog with the secondary cats removed? Will there be an option to retain the stock xpipe/secondary cats for those who don't want the hassle of dealing with smogging issues?...Darshana S...
^^ Darshana, I can’t speculate if it will pass the sniffer test.. We know from members experience with the IS250/IS350 that some have passed the sniffer test with secondary cats removed on differen exhaust setups.
Visual is a different story.. The tech performing the test would have to know that something has been removed in order to pass/fail.

Unfortunately, for now there will only be ONE option for this exhaust. It will be as shown in these pictures. There is NO X-pipe in the OEM exhaust.

Originally Posted by primecut
It sounds great! You should do a dyno with both intake and exhaust. I think the combo should yield more gains when coupled together. I'm also in the same boat that the exhaust needs to pass smog tho.
^^ Thank you
- We purposely DYNO’d both products separately to show gains for each part installed.. Some people might just want the exhaust and some might just want the intake.
Sometime in the future, we might be able to bring this IS-F back to the Dyno to test both together.. Nothing planned at the moment.

I’m sorry but since this a Full Exhaust Replacement, it will be sold with the “For Off Road Use Only" disclaimer. It will not come with any SMOG or Carb certified certificates.
I have a good feeling (just my opinion) that this exhaust will pass a smog test via the sniffer since the primary cats will remain untouched..
As mentioned above, the visual inspection depends on the tech.

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Crazy the exhaust sounds awesome and the gains of 22whp are good, I like it very much good job joe. Also 5whp from the intake alone, did you put in a drop in or the stock filter? I am sure my intake and that exhaust should make a sweet combination. Just as prime said I think you should dyno the intake and exhaust together the numbers will be higher maybe near 30whp combined. When will the exhaust be ready? How much? Will there be a choice between cat and catless option. In FL there is no smog check so I can care less hehe....Do you think the stock dyno numbers are kinda low? I've seen dynos in the mid 340's to near 350whp and as much as 358whp posted by one of the members. Congrats sounds awesome any CEL's?
^^ Thank You…
-The stock base dyno numbers are spot on for a 6th gear dyno pull on a dynojet… This IS-F is showing an approx 20% rwhp loss through the drive train.. which has been reported by a few others and magazine tests as well.
-The intake was dyno’d with the stock air filter.. I haven’t seen or heard of any drop in filters yet.
- As a disclosure to ALL, our Best Pump-Fuel choice is only 91 Octane for our IS-F here in Southern California.

See above response to “primecut” regarding exhaust options & dynoing together.

What kind of mufflers did you use?
^^ We used private label exhaust mufflers that are made here in the USA and work inconjuction with our design specifications & needs.

Originally Posted by CaThaFeR
when can we buy? i want a blue intake too.
When will it be ready to buy? Any ideas on pricing?
Originally Posted by houstonT
My dyno plot was smooth with the smoothing set to 5 and I dyno'ed in 6th gear......

Anyhow, I too have similar questions as others:

1. When will it be ready?
2. How much for both the intake and exhaust?
3. Is it an easy bolt-on/bolt-off deal so when I do go smog the car I can put the stocker on?

Thanks!
Peter
^^^ The 6th gear dyno @ 170mph is what caused the dyno graph to be choppy. It doesn’t affect the numbers but makes the graph look messy. We had it set to 5 as well.
This particular Dyno jet, gets noise interference in the graphs at these ridiculous high speeds. As we know, No two Dynojets are the same.. but from time to time they get pretty close on different coasts with same model cars.

- We hope to release the exhaust by the end of this month and intake maybe sooner. We will try our best to do so. With SEMA around the corner, we might be cutting it too close, but we will see.
- Pricing is “To Be Announced” as soon as we finish working out the details with the boys over at Carson Toyota / Lexus Parts..
Our Approved CL Vendor & Distributor. www.CarsonTuned.com
- This enter system utilizes ALL the OEM hanger points and it’s a simple Bolt On/Off Flanged system. Each which will come with hardware and gaskets. The front flange connection will be re-using the oem bolts and oem crush gaskets.

Just wanted to make a note that this intake & exhaust will be all hand built here in Southern California.
“Made in the USA”

Originally Posted by DRE1615
So with the intake, are you only buying that elbow?? Everything else looks completely stock.
Yes – that is 100% correct.. I have been making this design since 2006 for the ISx50 and since 2002 for the IS300.. Simple and effective.
It will be the Intake Pipe, two black sleeves & 4 stainless steel camps

Originally Posted by dbastidas0
thats what i was going to say...maybe the reason the intake only pulled 5 hp is becasue it is still connected to the stock air box...isin't that the whole purpose of puttting an intake, to remove all the unneccessary air flow before it gets to the engine..i know with the "F" design intake from lexus they offer an aftermarket air box which I am still skeptical about, but the SRT intake takes the airbox out completely. The only thing that stops me from the SRT is that ecu thing. I would like a intake that has the setup of the SRT but without the necessity to touch the ecu and NO AIRBOX...
^^ Understood..
Many intake company’s offer the typical aftermarket Open Element intake design.. I have been doing it Simple & Different for a very long time.. and as of lately Lexus caught on.
Look up “Joe Z Intake” & “F-Sport Intake” in the 2IS Performance Section for more specific details.

The IS-F comes with a very effective Dual Stage Intake design. Personally, I wouldn’t remove it.
This Dual Stage intake will open its flap above 2,500rpms for additional air as needed and close when not needed. Again a very nice system once you see how it works.
Hopefully, we can get some Air Filter companies to make a drop in air filter for the IS-F

Originally Posted by chrisburke
how much ??????

been out of the seen for a couple of months.. into dif hobbies now but wouldnt mind an Exhaust.
^^ Chris, nice to see you back on the boards… See my post above with info.

Thank You ALL

- Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 12-30-08 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-06-08, 10:39 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damm, that sounded like a V8! All jokes aside, that exhaust sound very good!
Old 10-06-08, 11:01 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Thanks Joe Z for answering the questions. Looking forward to pricing information and release dates when they becomes available.
Old 10-07-08, 06:59 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for answering all the questions Joe Z! I can't wait until its ready for purchase!
Old 10-07-08, 07:56 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input Joe I find your system better than SRT. Looking forward for pricing details at the end of the month.

Last edited by LexISguy; 10-08-08 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-07-08, 12:27 PM
1LSsport
Driver

Good job JoeZ, for me this set up is better than the SRT
Old 10-07-08, 05:55 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

By the way...

- As a disclosure to ALL, our Best Pump / Fuel choice is only 91 Octane for our IS-F, here in Southern California.

We also have this Dynojet graph of ALL the 6th Gear Runs with the New Exhaust System installed...

Run 11 (361.8 Rwhp / 356.4 Tq) = 1st run after initial setup and safety test spin on the dyno

Run 12 (354.8 Rwhp / 353.8 Tq)
= 2nd run, which is right after the 1st run.
This run best represents normal operating temps.
This is the run we used to compare with the base numbers.

Run 15 (371.8 Rwhp / 357.2 Tq) = 5th run which was the last run.
This was just after the two 5th gear runs and a 5 minute shut down / cool down of the engine...
Best numbers of the day due to cooling period.

- Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 12-30-08 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Added fuel info
Old 10-07-08, 06:13 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Joe, by looking at all those 6th gear runs it appears there are negligable differences between them. Do you know whats going on around 5700rpm though? Those spikes are whats causing the peak hp numbers to be so drastically different while the rest of the power curve almost overlaps each other perfectly.

PS..I think you did good in using your run file 12 for comparison purposes. I like your honesty.
Old 10-07-08, 06:16 PM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

Nice work!
Old 10-07-08, 06:38 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by caymandive
Joe, by looking at all those 6th gear runs it appears there are negligable differences between them. Do you know whats going on around 5700rpm though? Those spikes are whats causing the peak hp numbers to be so drastically different while the rest of the power curve almost overlaps each other perfectly.

PS..I think you did good in using your run file 12 for comparison purposes. I like your honesty.
^^ Thank You James.. That means a lot!!

To my understanding as it was explained to me by the dyno Tech...
The interference in the graph was do to the noise created by the rollers and then transferring through the car & dyno equip. Ultimately the lines get a bit choppy.. They experience this when their dyno spins over 150+mph. Which they never really do. I asked them to make the pulls in 6th.
Although the graph is a bit unpleasant to read, the numbers are still "good".
Keep in mind on the 1st and Last run the IS-F has some cool down time on it..

Below are the two 5th gear runs... The Rwhp compares very very close to Run 12 in 6th gear.
TQ does suffer a bit in the 5th grear runs due to the fact that this gear has a 1.23:1 verses the 1:1 in 6th gear.

- Joe Z
Old 10-08-08, 09:20 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe Z according to your graph is the ISF its showing peak whp at 371 and rwtq at 357. Is that 38whp and 30rwtq over stock?? Or am I mistaken. I am basing this on your stock dyno run.
Old 10-08-08, 09:39 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Joe Z according to your graph is the ISF its showing peak whp at 371 and rwtq at 357. Is that 38whp and 30rwtq over stock?? Or am I mistaken. I am basing this on your stock dyno run.
Please read beginning of Post#39 & my Post#42

As stated Run#12 aka the second run, is the run used to compare to stock since it best represents true numbers at normal operating temperatures of this IS-F.

Thank you
- Joe Z
Old 10-08-08, 09:50 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Dyno's look great and you answered all the questions, now we need it to be released so we can place orders

Quick Reply: Completed R&D on PTS Dual Exhaust System Joe Z series & Joe Z Intake for IS-F