DIY: Integrated Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 07:56 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foup
hey timetoy,
Is the GPS really working well? Is it really useful too? I think I read that you can store data points of places with door openers for instance and the detector will ignore them when you drive by but would still tell you if there is a police car at that location (with their Radar on obviously)? Did you actually avoided tickets in the past with RDs?
I'm very happy with it, my previous Radar detector was a Valentine One and it was a pain in the ***, it was beeping all the time and it was annoying. the 9500xi on the other hand is much quieter to start with (Just beeping a couple of time, not continuously like the V1) and it does learn how to discriminate false alarms based on their location, basically if you mute an alarm at the same location 3 times, the 9500xi will consider it a false alarm and will reject it automatically in the future. Also to your example, if you reject a false alarm and if there is more than one beacon at that location, the 9500xi will react on the second one and let you know.
Also there is subscription for a database of known speed trap, speed cameras and red light cameras and the system will let you know as you getting close, the system alerted me for every single red light camera I drove by.
To make a cheap comparison, the V1 feel like analog and the 9500xi feel like digital. It is that much better.
Old 10-09-08, 08:36 PM
foup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will see. The issue I have is integration, I know your installation is clean but I wish it could be more stealth. After all there is already a nav screen, a GPS antenna, etc, in the car.. It is like connecting your iPod in 2001.

My understanding is that the 9500xi will catch Laser too but too late? So it seems good only to catch moving police cars, mostly on freeways. In that case the GPS might be less useful? If they had a Radar detector I could put onto the eyeglass compartment that would be great, even if I had to forget about the city mode (since they all use guns in city or suburbs). Basically I never speed more than others in cities or suburb because I know it is a roulette game, there might be a Laser gun anywhere. But on freeways or open roads, where I am most likely to have a LEO behind or coming on the other lane, then I might appreciate a Radar detector. Do you know I'd the radio based Radars they have on board can be detected behind a hill on a mountain road (does the wave bounce against hills and trees?)
Thanks again for your input.
Old 10-09-08, 08:43 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

If money is no option and if stealth is a priority then go for the 9500ci it is completely integrated Radar detector AND laser jammer, but it is around 4x the price with installation...
Old 10-09-08, 08:52 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nice job on the install. I had the V1 in the IS in the same place as you did in the GS. Had it over to the left more. and down so no one could see it

Please do a little write up/review since you had the V1, great radar IMO, compared to this new one. I have read lots about it and I sold the V1 when I sold the last car and need something new.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-10-08, 04:40 PM
foup
Driver

Thanks TimeToy,

I read the doc about the 9500 and about some comparison tests. It seems to be the best unit around. By "stealth" I meant not in my way since I don't like having wires and stuff hanging around in the cabin. I would not get a Laser jammer anyway because it's illegal in California and it's not guaranteed to work... It's too bad RD manufacturers don't make units you could place behind the mirror with the same shape as the mirror, it would be much nicer than having a box attached to a suction cup or placed on the dashboard.

Anyway, I think I'll consider one. Has it helped you avoiding tickets on this car or your other cars? Also, have you seen patrol cars on freeways, you're in the Bay Area? (stopped obviously) using LIDAR or do they mostly use their onboard radars?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-08, 08:28 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

I do not have the 9500xi for long enough to really know if it helped me avoid tickets ! But I never had a (speeding) ticket when I had the V1.
Both the 9500xi and V1 sound alarm with two of the speed traps I often drive by (one police car hidden behind a curved wall down the highway and a couple of motorcycle cops hiding in the central divider at another spot).
I'm not in the Bay Area, so I can't comment, but down in San Diego it seem that they do not have too much LIDARs.
Old 10-12-08, 11:04 AM
foup
Driver

Thanks TimeToy,

I am leaning towards the Passport 9500ix like you have (where did you buy that short RJ 45 cable?) or the Bel RX75. I am concerned about windscreen mounted ones because I am afraid this may just give one more reason to pull you over even when are 5 MPH over (because the officer thinks "you are trying to beat them" so they "retaliate"). Have you had or had some people you know experienced discrimination because of a RD?

The issue with the RX75 is those Laser antennas, I don't know how "concealed" those are.

On the other hand I kind of wonder how efficient the Laser detection on the 9500xi can be considering where the device is. If it was, concealed models would offer tiny strip antennas (IR captors is a better word) to be mounted behind your mirror and not those hard-core captors supposedly to be mounted above your license plates.

Hard to get a win-win situation here. Funny that even in 2008 no one has figured out a nice, concealed, easy to install solution yet...

Thanks.
Old 10-12-08, 05:37 PM
50ISF50
Rookie

Thanks again for the DIY. Although doesn't your rearview mirror get in the way of the back sensor where you have it placed? I couldn't get it low enough with the 8" cord for the rear sensor to not be blocked by the rearview mirror. Thus, I placed it on the passenger side, similar to what you did for the G450h, but more to the side. Thanks again!!
Old 10-14-08, 07:36 PM
foup
Driver

I ordered the Passport 9500ix after reading good reviews about it, and I will mount it the same way as you did. Hope it will save me tickets though I rarely speed...
Old 10-15-08, 10:05 PM
PHXDiesel
Driver School Candidate

Honestly guys I personally wouldn't spend that much money buying one. The real justification factor in my book is the database of "known" speed traps. Almost all of the officers in my state use instant on radar guns. When they are "on", they are only on for a couple seconds then off again. It boils down to the fact that if your radar detector goes crazy, you are most likely already caught, or it was a false positive. Maybe mobile radar vans with "always on" radar will provide good early detection.

I've been eyeing the new ones with the speed trap DB only because of all the dang Photo Radar locations they are putting in all over the Phoenix area. It's insane how many traps there are on the freeways out here.
Old 10-16-08, 07:54 PM
foup
Driver

I believe Radar or Laser guns are not used from moving vehicle so it is still a good investment to avoid tickets on freeways or outside towns. In towns there is nothing you can do against those guns (especially laser unless there are cars in front of you). So not worth it to speed there.

In town, I always let speeders pass me first so they act as a cover for me, they take all the risks.

The 9500ix seems a very nice unit so I will give it a try.