IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Winter suitable wheels and tires???

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-08, 10:31 PM
TherealFIG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I am back and forth. 18's or 19's, stock or new rims. I have the supperleg III's for the summer wheels, maybe just use the stock wheels. hmmm.
Old 10-10-08, 09:36 AM
isbeater
Driver

I live in AB and it gets kind of nasty, anyways I was going to get winter tires, but then opted not to drive it in the winter. The is300 was bad enough.

Not to mention the window chips very easily ( i got a rock chip in the summer within the first 300km)

I went out and bought a 4runner instead.
Old 10-10-08, 03:29 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions!

After talking to the dealer and finding out that their intention was to put ISx50 wheels on my IS F, I have now ordered wheels and tires from tirerack.com. The dealership will be paying it and refunding the difference in cost. They will also be replacing the calipers that were damaged.

The new ones will look something like this:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...dClar=&sw=1680.

I am a little annoyed that the intention was to put ISx50 wheels on. With the beautiful (and expensive!) BBS rims that come stock, why doesn't Lexus offer another IS F specific wheel option?

Thanks again everyone!
Old 10-10-08, 05:00 PM
TherealFIG
Driver

nice, I like the chronos. Very happy with OZ wheels quality.
Old 10-10-08, 07:42 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome choice! Like Fig said, my experience with OZ wheel quality has been great! What brand of tires did you decide on?
Old 10-10-08, 10:31 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Awesome choice! Like Fig said, my experience with OZ wheel quality has been great! What brand of tires did you decide on?
I went with 225/45/18 Bridgestone Blizzak LM 25's. Hopefully the narrower tire and higher profile will be what I need for the winter.

I found out later today that the wheels are not in stock and that I'll have to wait for them

BUT because of all the confusion...the dealer is going to provide me with 18" ISx50 wheels that apparently fit with my snow tires until the new wheels arrive. They messed up BIG TIME but are doing an admirable job to make up for it.
Old 10-10-08, 10:59 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you go with 18x8 all around then? I had very good luck sticking with 255 rears the last 3 years. We even had about 100 inches of snow last year. PLUS, there's just a little more rubber to wear out so maybe you can get 2 full winter seasons instead of 1 1/2. I'm curious as how the dynamics will be with skinny rear tires. Let us know - I think you're the only IS-F with 225 rears that I've read about.
Old 10-10-08, 11:02 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

I bought the 225-40-19's. They are snow tires so I don't think I'll be pushing the car very hard. I'd imagine that these wear MUCH faster based on the compound. Hopefully they work well!
Old 10-11-08, 04:24 PM
TherealFIG
Driver

I decided on the Kosei K1 TS, nice racing wheel if I need to track it at 17lbs. I may PC them gunmetal And Michelin Xice Xi2 tires. It was so cold here today, it reminded me I needed to complete this purchase

Also 225 all the way around
Old 10-12-08, 10:42 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I went with 225/45/18 Bridgestone Blizzak LM 25's. Hopefully the narrower tire and higher profile will be what I need for the winter.

I found out later today that the wheels are not in stock and that I'll have to wait for them

BUT because of all the confusion...the dealer is going to provide me with 18" ISx50 wheels that apparently fit with my snow tires until the new wheels arrive. They messed up BIG TIME but are doing an admirable job to make up for it.
^^ Thats interesting.... Which 18" ISx50 fits???

I know for sure the Spilt 5 spokes 18"s are a no go up front since the inner wheel barrel does not clear the calipers...

This could be a great solution for other IS-F cold climate owners.

- Joe Z

P.S. - Here is a thread that could have helped you with your prior caliper mis-hap. We did some testing back March 08'
IS-F 19" Wheel SWAP with 2IS 18" Wheel...& Big Brake Kit test fit as well.. w/pics

Last edited by Joe Z; 10-12-08 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-12-08, 08:02 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ Thats interesting.... Which 18" ISx50 fits???

I know for sure the Spilt 5 spokes 18"s are a no go up front since the inner wheel barrel does not clear the calipers...

This could be a great solution for other IS-F cold climate owners.

- Joe Z

P.S. - Here is a thread that could have helped you with your prior caliper mis-hap. We did some testing back March 08'
IS-F 19" Wheel SWAP with 2IS 18" Wheel...& Big Brake Kit test fit as well.. w/pics
Thanks Joe

I am unclear on what 18" wheels that they are going to try, but they are fairly confident they will fit. They are going to try mounting them on a demo IS F to make sure they fit this time....instead of wrecking my car again

Just so we're clear the wheels that they tried to mount are the F Sport:

http://www.lexus.com/models/IS/f-spo...oy_wheels.html

Ironically it was the exact opposite of your test! The wheels fit on the front, but there wasn't enough clearance on the rears and the calipers were badly gouged. The mistake they made was testing just the front wheels....and because they spun over the big 4 piston front calipers....they ASSUMED they would have more than enough room on the back....WRONG!

I'll have more info on Tuesday and post what they come up with!
Old 10-12-08, 10:58 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

^^^ Wow that is even more intersting...

So the 19x8 F-Sport Wheels clear the IS-F Front Brake system.. that is good..

Do you know what wheel they tried on the rear?? (19x8 or 19x9)

I would think the 19x9 F-Sport rear wheels would fit over the rear IS-F brake system.

- Joe Z
Old 10-13-08, 08:27 PM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a picture of the LM-25's and the winter wheels I have. Having snow tires is certainly a peace of mind. I've been caught in many situations where I go in to work and it's sunny out and by end of day there's snow on the ground.

Old 10-14-08, 05:59 AM
Cheezypoof
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by caymandive
I think I may have found a cost saving option for using the OEM 19" wheels instead of paying for another set of wheels and tires. Good Year Eagle F1 All Seasons.

They have the OEM rear size available 255/35/19 $205 each
For the front I believe we can go with the 235/35/19 instead of OEM 225/40/19. $164 each
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....+F1+All+Season

Anyone know for sure if 235s will be OK up front? This would be an ideal solution since I don't plan to drive the F during bad storms (got a 4runner for that). I had the Goodyear all seasons on my old car and found them to be great performers.
Old 10-19-08, 07:54 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cheezypoof
Anyone know for sure if 235s will be OK up front? This would be an ideal solution since I don't plan to drive the F during bad storms (got a 4runner for that). I had the Goodyear all seasons on my old car and found them to be great performers.
Yeah has anyone actually experienced if these tires will work with the OEM rims? If they do, I'll return my $3k worth of winter rims/tires to the stealership and put it towards something else. Anybody??

Quick Reply: Winter suitable wheels and tires???