IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Removing the stock intake...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 12:49 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
The dust cover you mean? I've tried wiggling, and pulling doesn't seem to want to make it's way out. I'm also afraid that once its out, I wont be able to link it back in the proper holes.

I'll give this some muscle later on today, hopefully it works.
Sorry for another post.. but...

Hey ExclusivIS.. any luck removing the dust cover on the passenger side? I'm at the same exact point right now... wiggling away but the air scoop is blocking it from coming out... I'm running out of ideas here. I got the hinges to come out of their holes, but there's no way to slide it out!!!! Ahhh
Old 10-16-08, 08:34 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by primecut
Sorry for another post.. but...

Hey ExclusivIS.. any luck removing the dust cover on the passenger side? I'm at the same exact point right now... wiggling away but the air scoop is blocking it from coming out... I'm running out of ideas here. I got the hinges to come out of their holes, but there's no way to slide it out!!!! Ahhh
To be honest, I haven't even given it a try yet but I will tonight. Got to the same point you are at right now, with the hindges off, but couldn't seem to pull the dust cover away. Sounds to me so far from what all the guys on the board have been saying is you must loosen the intake, in order to push it up and away from the dust cover. THEN it's probably easier to access.

I am crossing my fingers too.
Old 10-16-08, 10:06 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
To be honest, I haven't even given it a try yet but I will tonight. Got to the same point you are at right now, with the hindges off, but couldn't seem to pull the dust cover away. Sounds to me so far from what all the guys on the board have been saying is you must loosen the intake, in order to push it up and away from the dust cover. THEN it's probably easier to access.

I am crossing my fingers too.
So last night after an hour, the dust cover finally wiggled off, so I was able to complete the job. Unfortunately it's not something that I think I can easily re-do, so I hope I never have to do this again! (I do want to replace my DRLs though) My fingers are throbbing! Nevertheless, let me try to give you some tips:

1. Try removing the low beams dust cover first. That one comes off easily, an it'll give you better visibility and slightly more wiggle room.
2. After you unhinge the parking lights cover, wiggle/slide it towards the drivers side until the plastic "teeth" is released from their slots. You have just enough room while it grinds against the air scoop tube. Then pull towards the engine and wiggle until you can see the teeth is visible and unhooked.
3. Now the cover should be loose but stuck. There is no way to remove the cover going upwards or towards the driver side because the air scoop is blocking it. So wiggle and twist it and push it downwards towards the ground and sideways towards the passenger side at the same time. If you turn it at just the right angle, it'll slip out and you can pull it out completely.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
Old 10-16-08, 02:25 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by primecut
So last night after an hour, the dust cover finally wiggled off, so I was able to complete the job. Unfortunately it's not something that I think I can easily re-do, so I hope I never have to do this again! (I do want to replace my DRLs though) My fingers are throbbing! Nevertheless, let me try to give you some tips:

1. Try removing the low beams dust cover first. That one comes off easily, an it'll give you better visibility and slightly more wiggle room.
2. After you unhinge the parking lights cover, wiggle/slide it towards the drivers side until the plastic "teeth" is released from their slots. You have just enough room while it grinds against the air scoop tube. Then pull towards the engine and wiggle until you can see the teeth is visible and unhooked.
3. Now the cover should be loose but stuck. There is no way to remove the cover going upwards or towards the driver side because the air scoop is blocking it. So wiggle and twist it and push it downwards towards the ground and sideways towards the passenger side at the same time. If you turn it at just the right angle, it'll slip out and you can pull it out completely.

Good luck! Hope this helps.
Prime,

You da man dude! And all of that hard work and no pic's afterwards? I'm going to maybe give your way a shot tonight, if not I'm going to just unbolt the stock intake and slide it up for a little bit more push room.

Nevertheless,
Old 10-16-08, 03:50 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

No one wants to invest $10 in a TIS daily subscription ? And then post the .PDFs ? :-)
Old 10-16-08, 07:08 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chikken
heres the thread I made about my bulbs a while back......

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...25#post3383425
Hey your link for the DRLs don't work. Can you tell me what bulb you used please?
Old 10-20-08, 03:33 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Finally going now to give this a final shot!

Wish me luck fellas!
Old 10-20-08, 03:47 PM
mm767cap
Driver

Originally Posted by chikken

2 V-LEDS HID WHITE 68 M-SMT DRL/FOG BULBS HB3 9005

for some reason the link takes me to the main site.....but its these one
Ahhhhhh! THAT's what I was looking for! Quick question. Did you have to do anything different wiring wise, or was it just a quick bulb swap?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-08, 07:27 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

So much thanks to PRIME's little tips I was able to get my parking lights in. Not saying it was an easy job, a true PITA really but well worth it. The removal of the headlight dust cover makes a huge difference in the amount of room you have to work with.

I look forward to seeing peoples lighting mods photographed and posted up in the near future...and thanks to the guy's of CL who answered to my thread and made this happen!
Old 10-20-08, 09:57 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Ha ha sweet!! You're welcome man. Happy ending for everyone. I might go back and replace the daytime running lights later.