Removing the stock intake...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-08, 09:24 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Removing the stock intake...?

Aright guys,

I don't usually ask for help BUT...those that can, help a brotha out over here!

So I installed my 6k bulbs, and my 3k fog kit (pics to come, don't worry ) and in the midst of it all of course I TRIED changing my parking light but was to no success. The driver side was fine, no problem...but the passenger side was impossible!

Guess at this point, the only way that it will get done is to remove the stock intake . That being said...It's not as easy as it looks. On my IS250, it was very straight forward however looking at this intake I don't even know where to start!!!!!

So any lucky IS-F owner who actually has changed these ugly bulbs out, please give me a shout in explaining how to do this. My lighting setup isn't complete with these left undone.

Thanks!

-SAM-
Old 10-13-08, 09:38 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not but I was planning on doing this mod this weekend as well
Old 10-13-08, 09:57 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
I do not but I was planning on doing this mod this weekend as well
Good timing I guess huh?

I know some owner out there has had to, give up you're secrets!!!
Old 10-13-08, 10:26 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool I did it with the SRT intake and it was easy but

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Good timing I guess huh?

I know some owner out there has had to, give up you're secrets!!!
I will ask my friend down at lexus for step by step instructions.

Give me a day or two
Old 10-13-08, 10:57 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tastemydus
I will ask my friend down at lexus for step by step instructions.

Give me a day or two
Thanks bro!!! I, along with the other IS-F owners would put this info to good use! We need more DIY threads on this side of the forums. I will be posting a DIY thread soon, for installation of HID fogs.

In terms of the intake thing, something like this would be great...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=lms+intake
Old 10-14-08, 07:00 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Chikken, what brand bulbs did you use? If you want, you can PM me with it. Those look really good and are along the lines of the look I'm going for
Old 10-14-08, 08:28 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by chikken

you don't have to take the intake out to switch out your bulbs. I know the space is tight there but I remember I just loosened the cover panel out and wiggled it out side ways.
The dust cover you mean? I've tried wiggling, and pulling doesn't seem to want to make it's way out. I'm also afraid that once its out, I wont be able to link it back in the proper holes.

I'll give this some muscle later on today, hopefully it works.
Old 10-14-08, 08:50 AM
tastemydus
Driver

Cool sorry but friend has been extremely busy lately.

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Thanks bro!!! I, along with the other IS-F owners would put this info to good use! We need more DIY threads on this side of the forums. I will be posting a DIY thread soon, for installation of HID fogs.

In terms of the intake thing, something like this would be great...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=lms+intake
If I were smart I would have video taped the entire process but I think I have smoked one too many brain cells away. My friend has been really busy and he mentioned that it would take some time to do step by step instructions that included pictures without having a vehicle to use as a model. I want to help everyone here, but at the same time i don't want to ask him to reinstall my stock intake just to take it right back out so everyone can see the process. If I wasn't the only one on Guam with an IS-F and a SRT Intake then it might be easier to find another victim. The best I think he will be able to provide is written instructions minus the pictures and minus the video, which of course makes things more difficult but at this point in time that is all he can provide. I know with the SRT Intake all he took off was 3 inches of metal tubing and the filter. This gave him enough room to get his fat fingers into the place he needed to reach in order to change the bulbs. Chikken said you don't even have to remove the Intake so he might be a better source of information.

SIDE NOTE: I am getting the rest of my lighting mods on Thursday and if my camera friend is available I will post the pictures. I tried taking them myself at night, but they look horrible and in reality they are sick looking(I will post one just so you can see how bad i am with night photos). I have done some similar mods to my car that mirror Chikkens mods because I admire the way he did them: sleek, somewhat hidden, and kept the car looking classy, which is exactly the path I am trying to stay on. It has been trial and error because sometimes the image in my head doesn't always reflect in the lighting modifications I do so I end up either getting rid of them or trying them in another position. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks after I am finished. The lighting mods I have done so far have brought a lot of positive attention. Whenever I used to think of lighting mods I thought of those cheesy *** bars people put under their cars and I promised myself never to put those on my car. After seeing Chikkens mods I realized that with the right lighting it can actually compliment your car instead of making it look like you are driving an alien space craft. After I get those pictures then I might start a new thread for people to display any and all lighting modifications so we can see the creativity people used with car lighting! I will also try and video all process from now on so others can see how they were done.
Attached Thumbnails Removing the stock intake...?-2942027890_08e93cc01a.jpg  

Last edited by tastemydus; 10-14-08 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-14-08, 10:19 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

If I were smart I would have video taped the entire process but I think I have smoked one too many brain cells away. My friend has been really busy and he mentioned that it would take some time to do step by step instructions that included pictures without having a vehicle to use as a model. I want to help everyone here, but at the same time i don't want to ask him to reinstall my stock intake just to take it right back out so everyone can see the process. If I wasn't the only one on Guam with an IS-F and a SRT Intake then it might be easier to find another victim. The best I think he will be able to provide is written instructions minus the pictures and minus the video, which of course makes things more difficult but at this point in time that is all he can provide. I know with the SRT Intake all he took off was 3 inches of metal tubing and the filter. This gave him enough room to get his fat fingers into the place he needed to reach in order to change the bulbs. Chikken said you don't even have to remove the Intake so he might be a better source of information.

SIDE NOTE: I am getting the rest of my lighting mods on Thursday and if my camera friend is available I will post the pictures. I tried taking them myself at night, but they look horrible and in reality they are sick looking(I will post one just so you can see how bad i am with night photos). I have done some similar mods to my car that mirror Chikkens mods because I admire the way he did them: sleek, somewhat hidden, and kept the car looking classy, which is exactly the path I am trying to stay on. It has been trial and error because sometimes the image in my head doesn't always reflect in the lighting modifications I do so I end up either getting rid of them or trying them in another position. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks after I am finished. The lighting mods I have done so far have brought a lot of positive attention. Whenever I used to think of lighting mods I thought of those cheesy *** bars people put under their cars and I promised myself never to put those on my car. After seeing Chikkens mods I realized that with the right lighting it can actually compliment your car instead of making it look like you are driving an alien space craft. After I get those pictures then I might start a new thread for people to display any and all lighting modifications so we can see the creativity people used with car lighting! I will also try and video all process from now on so others can see how they were done.
Thanks homie, I think we'd all appreciate the help!

I am going to give it a try, like I said to do all of this without removing the stock intake, but if all else fails...it's going to have to go. OR maybe just replaced with a new one!

BTW, the fender lights are SOOO sick I love them! Chikken did it right!
Old 10-14-08, 11:59 AM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Chikken, what brand bulbs did you use? If you want, you can PM me with it. Those look really good and are along the lines of the look I'm going for
+1 That looks awesome. If you can share what bulbs they are and where you got them, it'll be great. Sorry if I missed this, but these are the lights that stay on with the headlights, correct? And even though they are in the same location, they are not the same lights as the daytime running lights?
Old 10-14-08, 11:05 PM
tastemydus
Driver

Cool Thanks but you deserve the credit

Originally Posted by chikken
nice light mods, can't wait to see everything you did.....btw is your vent light hooked up to your parking lights? mines just hooked up to the puddle lamp, didn't want to keep them on all the time at night
Thanks for the compliment but the ideas came from you.. so thank you. I had them install a switch that turns on and off four large LED lights. One light placed under each of the front seats and then one was installed up in my dash on the passenger side and the other was installed up in the dash on the drivers side, but it didn't give me the look I was after. So I think I might just place all four LED lights under the fronts seats. I have also replaced the rear dome light with a 16 or 32 LED Light board and for the front, since I didn't want to wait for the one off ebay I put and 8 led light pad in the front center dome light and put an led bulb on both sides of the pad.. it gives it a real unique look. So I have my side vent lights hooked up to the main head lights at night. I have also installed some light mods behind the front lower and upper grille. I might try and take a few more pics tonight but most of the work will be done tomorrow. I am leaving the side mirrors for last since that seems like the biggest pain in the ***. They are going to be done somewhat like yours but I am going to add a twist to change things up. Maybe I should have hooked them up to my parking lights but I think they got hooked up to my main driving lights which will wear them out faster. Back to the chalk board.
Old 10-15-08, 06:14 AM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the compliment but the ideas came from you.. so thank you. I had them install a switch that turns on and off four large LED lights. One light placed under each of the front seats and then one was installed up in my dash on the passenger side and the other was installed up in the dash on the drivers side, but it didn't give me the look I was after. So I think I might just place all four LED lights under the fronts seats. I have also replaced the rear dome light with a 16 or 32 LED Light board and for the front, since I didn't want to wait for the one off ebay I put and 8 led light pad in the front center dome light and put an led bulb on both sides of the pad.. it gives it a real unique look. So I have my side vent lights hooked up to the main head lights at night. I have also installed some light mods behind the front lower and upper grille. I might try and take a few more pics tonight but most of the work will be done tomorrow. I am leaving the side mirrors for last since that seems like the biggest pain in the ***. They are going to be done somewhat like yours but I am going to add a twist to change things up. Maybe I should have hooked them up to my parking lights but I think they got hooked up to my main driving lights which will wear them out faster. Back to the chalk board.
That's sick!

I want DIY for the fender lights now!!!
Old 10-15-08, 07:23 AM
dbastidas0
Driver

taste my dust, i dont know if im feeling those lights...im sure it will look better with a better quality pic but IMO its a little to fast and furious for me....On the other hand chiken..those head lights are sick as ****.
Old 10-15-08, 06:06 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I changed the headlights (6k HID), fog lights (3k Hid), city lights (LEDS), puddle lamps (LEDS), interior door lights (LEDS), Lexus White illuminated scuff plates, and trunk (LEDS) and the daytime running lights too...but to a yellow version...it is tight on the intake side...but you don't have to remove it to install it.

Good Luck!
Old 10-15-08, 09:56 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to try out the parking lights tonight. I took a look last time though, and I see that there is a plastic panel that covers the entire back of the housing. How do you remove it?

Quick Reply: Removing the stock intake...?