IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Friend hit stop sign doing 40mph and no airbags deployed

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 02:50 AM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zero_One
If the impact was "harsh" enough then the impact sensors would have caught it. Yeah I am sure the stop sign did a lot of damage but I am sure it was like hitting a stick, and not a tree to the SRS system. That really sucks though! Hope everything turns out ok.
+1......actual impact not harsh.

Sometimes you don't want the a/bags to deploy. They may have damaged the driver.

C.
Old 03-14-09, 07:49 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry your friend ended up in the hospital and hope he recovers soon. Although I didn't find anything about it in the messages above, but was he wearing his seatbelt which, as you know, is the primary restraint system in a car?
Old 03-14-09, 11:07 AM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
For the Armada, since it did not have any frontal type of impact, there would be no reason for the front seat and front airbags to deploy. The frontal air bag sensors did not get impacted, therefore it will not deploy.

Right - I am aware, i was mostly supporting the rest of the data in this thread regarding the way the bags are designed to work. In this case, the ONLY reason any activated was because of the roll sensor - and this was crucial. Given the fact the occupants were thrown from their seats (seatbelted), and into the roof/doors when the car lifted/dropped, the curtain airbags were important.
Old 03-14-09, 12:42 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by oztiks
Right - I am aware, i was mostly supporting the rest of the data in this thread regarding the way the bags are designed to work. In this case, the ONLY reason any activated was because of the roll sensor - and this was crucial. Given the fact the occupants were thrown from their seats (seatbelted), and into the roof/doors when the car lifted/dropped, the curtain airbags were important.
Their primary restraint system failed to restrain them? I'd call that a serious design flaw. But it would not be possible to determine this in standardized testing since the dummies are always "correctly" positioned for tests. Imagine what would have happened had your friend been leaning around the seat to attend to a rear seat passenger when this happened. Not like anyone ever does that at a complete stop...

So they were still hospitalized from their injuries despite the airbags deploying? How are they doing?
Old 03-18-09, 10:42 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Their primary restraint system failed to restrain them? I'd call that a serious design flaw. But it would not be possible to determine this in standardized testing since the dummies are always "correctly" positioned for tests. Imagine what would have happened had your friend been leaning around the seat to attend to a rear seat passenger when this happened. Not like anyone ever does that at a complete stop...

So they were still hospitalized from their injuries despite the airbags deploying? How are they doing?
This was what they referred to as a "freak accident" (statistically) in a way due to the speeds involved and the fact the armada was stopped.

The primary driver had stitches in their scalp, the rear seat (NOT third row) passenger is a child who wasn't injured beyond the shattered glass pelting them. The primary driver has permanent neck and back injuries unfortunately (damaged vertebrae throughout neck and back).

The seatbelts worked - I misworded it. They were hit with such speed that the Armada literally lifted into the air, flat, and landed two lanes over (no skid marks, nothing). Their shoes (not sandals, but tie on shoes) were knocked off their feet. The stereo (as you can see in the picture) even though there was no frontal impact was ejected from the dashboard. The front headrests flew off; and the driver's side seat snapped (fell backwards; passenger was < 170 lbs) The whole third row + cargo area was crushed into the back of the 2nd seat. They found the license plate a few hundred feet away in pieces.

Is what happened to the rear mounted spare tire+rim. It was sheered in half.

When the paramedics arrived they figured they had fatalities and were absolutely astounded that the occupants (my family members) were alive and in such (relatively) amazing shape. When the insurance adjuster looked at the car they asked if it had been hit by a train....

I am a little perturbed by the front seat breaking, but I guess I can understand given the sheer force involved. The driver of the other vehicle was knocked unconscious.
Old 03-28-09, 01:57 AM
AllBlackon
Driver

you need to do about 35mph+, come into contact with a stationary object that will force your 35mph veh to 0 upon impact and also it has to be where the sensor is located for air bags to detonate. colliding with a stop sign at 40mph will not instantly bring your vehicle to a stop, there should have been some rolling in between that if your bags did not detonate.

also ask your friend if he wore his seatbelts, wont deploy if seatbelts are not engaged.