IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Changing the DRL's

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-08, 06:26 PM
mm767cap
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the DRL's

Went in and did my first Mod today. Changed out the Fog lights, DRL's, and Parking Lights. DRL's and Parking Lights are LED's, from VLED's. The DRL's need a module that boosts to 14V all the time. So here is what I have found.

Getting at the DRL's is almost impossible without removing the stock intake, which I did. I followed the advice in this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...rch+DIY+change

Once the intake is removed, it is quite easy to get at the DRL's/Parking lights. What I DID have trouble with is trying to fit the module inside the dust cover. I just don't think its going to happen. So these seem to be the options. 1) Don't use the LED's. 2) Use the LED's but without the module. The DRL's flicker when using them with low power (High Beams work fine). 3) Try again to stuff the module back inside the dust cover. 4) Modify the dust cover so that there is a hole for the wires/module to hang down outside the cover. (NOT something I'm going to do).

Put it all back together again and got the following.

VSC Off warning/lights, and check engine light. I was expecting the VSC light on, as that was predicted in the post referenced above. However, I was NOT expecting the check engine light. Anyone have any ideas as to what might have caused that?
Old 11-02-08, 12:16 PM
mm767cap
Driver

Disconnecting and reconnecting the negative lead on the battery reset the VSC and Check Engine lights.

Thanks Chikken for that tip!
Old 11-02-08, 09:12 PM
chikken
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mm767cap
Went in and did my first Mod today. Changed out the Fog lights, DRL's, and Parking Lights. DRL's and Parking Lights are LED's, from VLED's. The DRL's need a module that boosts to 14V all the time. So here is what I have found.

Getting at the DRL's is almost impossible without removing the stock intake, which I did. I followed the advice in this thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...rch+DIY+change

Once the intake is removed, it is quite easy to get at the DRL's/Parking lights. What I DID have trouble with is trying to fit the module inside the dust cover. I just don't think its going to happen. So these seem to be the options. 1) Don't use the LED's. 2) Use the LED's but without the module. The DRL's flicker when using them with low power (High Beams work fine). 3) Try again to stuff the module back inside the dust cover. 4) Modify the dust cover so that there is a hole for the wires/module to hang down outside the cover. (NOT something I'm going to do).

Put it all back together again and got the following.

VSC Off warning/lights, and check engine light. I was expecting the VSC light on, as that was predicted in the post referenced above. However, I was NOT expecting the check engine light. Anyone have any ideas as to what might have caused that?

a friend of mines bought the relay and we installed it in his car and it actually fits...the space is tight, but it does fit.....

here's a teaser shot....DIY will come when I get mines in the mail.

Old 11-02-08, 11:27 PM
mm767cap
Driver

No kidding!! Alright, off comes the intake again! I'll look forward to your pix. Thanks again!
Old 06-01-09, 07:04 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

alright so the passenger side the intake must go how about the driver side. i can't seem to get it off the wire is in the way and stuff.
Old 06-01-09, 07:18 PM
Isfast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is my install, the pics may be a little clearer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l-install.html
Old 06-01-09, 09:08 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Isfast
Here is my install, the pics may be a little clearer

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...l-install.html
thanks for the thread link.
Old 06-07-14, 05:26 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Reviving this thread to post a problem I am having now after installing my DRLs. The DRL's worked great but the VSC and CEL came on like the OP. I Disconnected the negative and reconnected it and the CEL and VSC lights are now off (yay) but the DRLs dont come on now THe lights work when High beam engages but the DRL's are now off when stalk is on AUTO. Can anyone help?
Old 06-07-14, 09:42 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nevermind guys...it fixed itself after a longer drive...