IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New Axis wheels for IS-F

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-08, 10:33 AM
Iceman330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There Nice Wheels Deff Love Them!!

Cuz I Had Them On My F, Here Are Shots Of It... I Have Alot More But I Don't Know How To Use My Mac Yet!! Sorry Fellas..

http://rixmag.com/coverage%20photos/...s/DSC02180.htm

http://rixmag.com/coverage%20photos/...s/DSC05771.htm
Old 11-09-08, 10:54 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing for sure, cleaning wheel time will cut in half ;-)

Originally Posted by 8speed
http://www.axiswheels.com/wheels.php?id=elite

For some reason these keep growing on me.
Old 11-09-08, 11:13 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by montgb
Couple points here: There are plenty of nice wheels that won't cost $8K for a full set. Don't compare the Lexus mark-up to the rest of the wheel market.

Next, I agree with One Hot's comment about an Axis wheel vs. the stock BBS - he makes a completely credible assessment. If you think the Axis looks better than stock, just say so. But don't expect to get agreement from all of the enthusiasts in this forum.
Um no, my point was not to obtain agreement (see original post)....I was in disagreement with his arguement that because the IS-F is a "$55,000" car that you should spend a certain amount of money on wheels accordingly (other than $400 for the Axis wheels). As we have read, another F owner has the axis wheels on, likes them, and has moved on with his life! And guess what, he didn't have to break the bank to get a good looking wheel from a reputable company......and he has moved on with his life, which is what I'm going to do.
Old 11-09-08, 11:15 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ice350
What's gonna happen to the car if you put a $400 wheel on it?
It's gonna blow up? No.
It's gonna rust out? No.
It's gonna get uglier? No.
Hmmm...tell me what's gonna happen. Surely the extra 5 lbs is gonna make it run 6.0 in the 60? No.
I don't get it. What's gonna happen?
Bravo! Be prepared to get flack for settling for a cheaper wheel....you dropped 55 large on a sports car and put those cheap wheels on! What were you thinking
Old 11-09-08, 11:18 AM
SGMIS3
Pole Position

It's gonna blow up? No.
It's gonna rust out? No.
Hmmm...tell me what's gonna happen. Surely the extra 5 lbs is gonna make it run 6.0 in the 60? No.
the wheel might break into 2 peices like the recent SEVA wheel incidents
Old 11-09-08, 11:24 AM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

It's gonna blow up? No.
It's gonna rust out? No.

Maybe I can help you understand a little better. When I use to have my Lexus LS or my ES alot like your GS we really could care less how much a wheel weighs. Honestly with slower cars like ours that are already over weight and conservativly powered, performance doesn't matter to us. Now for the first time Lexus has a car that weight does matter. Weight effects acceleration, cornering ability, stopping distance, ect... Whats the point of buying a performance car and decreasing its ability to perform?

BTW 5 lbs of unsprung weight is alot on each corner, thats 20lbs that weren't counted for when this vehicle was designed. On a regular car who cares, but on a F, why would you? With this in mind not only are you decreasing the value of the car but you are turning your performance car into a luxury cruiser with a big V8, alot like a Benz S550
Old 11-09-08, 11:48 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, I didn't know my comments regarding Axis wheels would be blown out of proportion..Please do not take my comments personally as it was not my intent..If you didn't notice by now, we are at a PUBLIC forum and we are here to freely express our passion for cars and enthusiasm alike...

As I stated repeatedly, those Axis wheels look great (I like the 5 spoke concaving design) BUT, the quality of the wheel is far-less superior than that of an OEM wheel...

In regards to your comment about members who DON'T have high-end wheels, I could name two on the forum who have dished out the cash to get their rides done right and I do have the highest respect for them for going the extra mile IMHO...

CrazyMPG: HRE and VOLK Hotness! If you look at his post, he weigh these HRE and they are much lighter compared to OEM...

Volks: 19x9 in the front only weighs 19lbs..Forged and less pricey as well...

Catafer: Auto Couture Aristos, D2FORGED Vseries

Again, don't take it personally when I say these wheels are TRULY worthy of an upgrade on the IS-F...There are plenty of quality brands out there that won't break your bank, VOLK wheels are an excellent example of these...

In a struggling ecomony like ours, I think it is even MORE important to be more picky about who we support in the market so they will continue to make quality parts and products for our cars...

Axis is NOT one these companies that I would support...
Old 11-09-08, 12:29 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by One HoT
Wow, I didn't know my comments regarding Axis wheels would be blown out of proportion..Please do not take my comments personally as it was not my intent..If you didn't notice by now, we are at a PUBLIC forum and we are here to freely express our passion for cars and enthusiasm alike...

As I stated repeatedly, those Axis wheels look great (I like the 5 spoke concaving design) BUT, the quality of the wheel is far-less superior than that of an OEM wheel...

In regards to your comment about members who DON'T have high-end wheels, I could name two on the forum who have dished out the cash to get their rides done right and I do have the highest respect for them for going the extra mile IMHO...

CrazyMPG: HRE and VOLK Hotness! If you look at his post, he weigh these HRE and they are much lighter compared to OEM...

Volks: 19x9 in the front only weighs 19lbs..Forged and less pricey as well...

Catafer: Auto Couture Aristos, D2FORGED Vseries

Again, don't take it personally when I say these wheels are TRULY worthy of an upgrade on the IS-F...There are plenty of quality brands out there that won't break your bank, VOLK wheels are an excellent example of these...

In a struggling ecomony like ours, I think it is even MORE important to be more picky about who we support in the market so they will continue to make quality parts and products for our cars...

Axis is NOT one these companies that I would support...
So you would not support Axis and their work on the IS-F?

http://my.is/forums/f136/five-axis-f...no-56k-366833/
Old 11-09-08, 12:33 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

And let's not forget that the OEM wheels are 27 lbs in the rear 22 front (I believe).....not exactly what you would expect from a lightweight BBS forged wheel costing 2 greand a piece

And the fact that people in here who don't even own an IS-F don't like Axis wheels, leads me to believe I'm onto something
Old 11-09-08, 01:53 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stefwilli
Maybe I can help you understand a little better. When I use to have my Lexus LS or my ES alot like your GS we really could care less how much a wheel weighs. Honestly with slower cars like ours that are already over weight and conservativly powered, performance doesn't matter to us. Now for the first time Lexus has a car that weight does matter. Weight effects acceleration, cornering ability, stopping distance, ect... Whats the point of buying a performance car and decreasing its ability to perform?

BTW 5 lbs of unsprung weight is alot on each corner, thats 20lbs that weren't counted for when this vehicle was designed. On a regular car who cares, but on a F, why would you? With this in mind not only are you decreasing the value of the car but you are turning your performance car into a luxury cruiser with a big V8, alot like a Benz S550
You don't have to help me understand a thing. I have been buying performance wheels longer than you have been living.
Unless you're racing, 5 lbs means jack. In a race, the unsprung weight of a wheel could mean the difference between winning and losing but who's racing their Lexus.
I can't believe you're feeding in to this stuff.

Look, I prefer high end wheels too. Because of how they look. They aren't stronger than 1 piece cast because the manufacturers make them less dense to achieve the lighter weight. Every high end wheel I've had bends much more easily than the cast wheels I've had. Since they aren't mass produced, they seem to have more problems than mass produced. We've heard the stories. Finish problems, fastener problems, bends, breaks, water holding...you have to baby the high end wheel to keep it looking good and still, eventually it will need refinishing of some type. But we are enthusiasts and we don't care but don't make out like the high end wheel is some type of panacea.

My main point is this, no one should put down a wheel or company they know nothing about, just repeating crap they read on the net. Secondly, don't put down someone for their choices. I didn't say you did this Stefan but as a dealer, people will be influenced by you. Tell them the facts. The fact is high end wheels look better most of the time. That's the only advantage cause they surely won't make your car fly.

PS
I have never heard of any problems with an Axis wheel. I'm sure one has broken somewhere because accidents can happen. But I haven't heard of not one story. Until then, no should say a wheel is crap if they have no proff. I see threads with people saying a brand is crap all the time...just because the wheel is 1 piece cast. That's just immature.

Last edited by Ice350; 11-09-08 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-09-08, 02:18 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that when you build a car it represents an extension of yourself...It is a form of an art and I believe that you have to have the finest materials to make this art into something you can feel proud of..Not a single detail should be neglected or ignored...Selection of wheels is a huge part of making your vehicle from so-so into something special...I personally would not choose some mediocre wheels to represent my art and myself...

Looks like you guys already made up your mind before you started this thread...I don't see why this thread should still be opened for discussion...

Best of luck you
Old 11-09-08, 02:47 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Good points ICE, keep on rockin those Axis wheels that no one wants to be associated with

My topic should be closed alright, to non IS-F owners who have no business posting (See original topic of thread).
Old 11-09-08, 03:17 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like them and I woudn't put them on my car if they weight half the OEM wheels. Just my opinion.
Old 11-09-08, 03:28 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dave600hL
I don't like them and I woudn't put them on my car if they weight half the OEM wheels. Just my opinion.
You drive an LS this thread was for IS-F owners (see title)

Glad to see you are coming to your senses with the IS-F on order
Old 11-09-08, 04:06 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I don't see why you have to have an IS-F to comment. This is public forum. And if you post something, expect and respect opinions from both sides. Don't call people out just because they disagree with you.

1. Axis is not the same company as 5axis.

2. Axis wheels have had a bad reputation in the past for quality issues. In fact, there was a batch of Axis Hiros that cracked and many owners were concerned. If you are saying that you have never heard of any problems with Axis, then you didn't do your homework. In fact, many enthusiasts call them craxis. I don't know if they have since improved, but that's what it is.

3. I had Axis wheels on my previous car. Quality was ok, but not great. You get what you paid for. They are mediocre wheels for low/medium prices.

4. It doesn't matter whether you think the Axis wheels look better or not. The fact is that they are a definite downgrade in quality coming from the forged BBS. This is fact. However, like others said, there's no need to spend 2k per wheel to get the same quality, if not better than the forged BBS.

5. Just because a wheel is forged doesn't mean it's the end-all, and just because a wheel is cast doesn't mean it sucks. It depends on the company and the quality of the production process. A cast wheel can be just as good as a forged wheel.

6. Rotational mass != 4 x regular mass. It's annoying when people exaggerate the wheel weight difference. Believe it or not, I've heard the 10x formula before. ha ha

Quick Reply: New Axis wheels for IS-F