IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Ventross Carbon Fiber Parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 10:29 PM
AndyZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
Is the front lip dry carbon too? Is there any pictures of the whole carbon fiber line that is not painted on like the pictures shown on the Ventross site? Also is there any weight figures for the products?

Thanks!
As far as I know all Ventross/Vorsteiner CF parts are dry carbon.

When you say not painted do you mean not clear coated? None of the parts on the MotorworldHype.com IS-F were painted we just clear coated them...but they look black because the paint shop mixed in too much smoke into the clear coat.

I'm not sure if I can get any pictures of it without the clear coating but I'll try.
Old 01-07-09, 10:29 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the front lip dry carbon too? Is there any pictures of the whole carbon fiber line that is not painted on like the pictures shown on the Ventross site? Also is there any weight figures for the products?

Thanks!
Does it have to be painted in clear coat ect, or can it be fitted straight from the manufacturer?
Old 01-07-09, 10:41 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

** post delay **

Thanks!
When I meet with Andy Z, it was explained to me that all the Ventross pieces for the IS-F were done in Vacuum Dry Carbon.

Old 01-08-09, 05:21 AM
stick
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks JoeZ! Do you know if the fenders are rolled and if there is rubbing?

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Wheels • Rays Engineering Volk Racing TE 37 in Matte Black
o Front: 19x8.5
o Rear: 19x9.5

Tires • Michelin Pilot Sport 2
o Front: 235/35/19
o Rear: 265/30/19

Old 01-08-09, 05:29 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

OoO Andy posted better prices. That CF Bootlid is oh so sexy.

everytime i look at the F, I just wanna trade my 250 in for it

Last edited by nabbun; 01-08-09 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-08-09, 07:15 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Question for you guys regarding carbon fiber hoods and trunk lids. OEM parts have designed crumple zones in them so in the event of an accident they fold up. What would happen to the carbon fiber hood in an accident does it turn into a horizontal guillotine and decapitate the occupants, or would you expect it fold up?
Old 01-08-09, 08:15 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by hblexus07
Question for you guys regarding carbon fiber hoods and trunk lids. OEM parts have designed crumple zones in them so in the event of an accident they fold up. What would happen to the carbon fiber hood in an accident does it turn into a horizontal guillotine and decapitate the occupants, or would you expect it fold up?
Neither in most cases.. I would say explode into a bunch of little pieces for a heavy impact..

But usally the outer shell just breaks apart while the carbon weaving can sometimes stay together..

All depends really... Generall speaking CF parts and accidents don't mix well.

Joe Z
Old 01-08-09, 08:20 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by stick
Thanks JoeZ! Do you know if the fenders are rolled and if there is rubbing?
With the Offset, Tires sizes and Tein Coilover drop they are running....

... there is definitely fender modifications done to this F and rubbing to the tires, when I looked at it closely..

Joe Z
Old 01-08-09, 10:25 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Neither in most cases.. I would say explode into a bunch of little pieces for a heavy impact..

But usally the outer shell just breaks apart while the carbon weaving can sometimes stay together..

All depends really... Generall speaking CF parts and accidents don't mix well.

Joe Z
I would just recommend using caution when replacing OEM body panels because there are specific safety standards the manufacture must take into account when they design them, that aftermarket companies do not.

Last edited by hwy1isf; 01-08-09 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-08-09, 12:47 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by hblexus07
I would just recommend using caution when replacing OEM body panels because there are specific safety standards the manufacture must take into account when they design them, that aftermarket companies to not.
QFT. Every time I've brought this up on a board I've been inundated with replies telling me what an overzealous safety nut I am. But you are exactly correct - energy dissipation is based on the OEM's original panels being in place and absorbing impact. CF doesn't do this the same way, so the crash test results from the government no longer apply when you've changed the base material for the body panels.
Old 01-08-09, 01:43 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
QFT. Every time I've brought this up on a board I've been inundated with replies telling me what an overzealous safety nut I am. But you are exactly correct - energy dissipation is based on the OEM's original panels being in place and absorbing impact. CF doesn't do this the same way, so the crash test results from the government no longer apply when you've changed the base material for the body panels.
I'm right with you guys on not compromising the safety of the car but how much impact load could possibly be engineered into an aluminum hood?
Old 01-08-09, 02:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,971 Likes on 2,403 Posts

There are two critical features to hood design. First is not becoming a guillotine. All Toyota vehicles have hooks at the hinges to prevent this. Some cars have the hooks integrated into the hinge, others have separate hooks to catch the back edge of the hood and force it to crumple instead of shearing the bolts holding the hood to the hinge and sending the hood directly through the windshield to potentially decapitate the front seat occupants.

Part two is energy absorption. While it is true the hood is aluminum, remember the strongest any metal object can be is in compression, and when you try to compress sheet metal from the edge, it will resist with more force than any other direction.

So the rub is, the hinges and hooks are designed to accommodate an aluminum hood in compression. Carbon fiber in compression is vastly stronger than aluminum. Look at the 25 mph crash tests done on the McLaren F-1 - the car was unfazed by the impact, and it transferred all the energy throughout the car. This is great for the F-1, but not great for a car designed to arrest the hood's rearward motion with a pair of hinge/hooks and force it to crumple and absorb energy. The CF hood will not shatter, it will transfer a whole lot more force to the hinge/hooks before it cracks and dissipates energy. Without testing, it's not possible to say if the hinge/hooks will be sufficiently strong to prevent the hood from shearing and entering the passenger compartment. Also, because of the relative rarity of CF as a hood material in accident statistics, we may not be aware of the frequency a CF hood doesn't behave properly and actually adds injuries to an accident.

So, what is really happening in accidents isn't tracked unless there is a fatality causing someone to sue an aftermarket manufacturer for faulty design. At the end of the day, without testing, the public won't know if there is an undue risk. The hood manufacturers aren't doing any testing because it would require they destroy a number of cars for each model they produce which would make the parts too expensive for all but the most affluent buyers.
Old 01-08-09, 02:57 PM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im with you i would rather live than die in a crash. maybe i wont have the nicest hood but i can always live to say im glad i didnt!
Old 01-08-09, 03:06 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DFLORES
im with you i would rather live than die in a crash. maybe i wont have the nicest hood but i can always live to say im glad i didnt!
I think this thread has become way to pessimistic. I understand looking out for people but c'mon. CF hoods have been used for years and all of a sudden we are discussing whether or not to buy one b/c it may or may not shear our heads off?!?!
Old 01-08-09, 03:23 PM
isfcow
Rookie

[

I love this CF front lip so much. What kind of the suspension on the car ?

Quick Reply: Ventross Carbon Fiber Parts