IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Carbon Fiber Hood by Seibon

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 07:25 AM
cm09578
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone get this yet? It is $560 shipped on ebay!
Old 12-09-08, 07:27 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't seen any yet. Some question the quality of the carbon fiber and the weave so I'm going to hold off a while until I see and can talk to someone who has it
Old 12-09-08, 12:31 PM
cm09578
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
I haven't seen any yet. Some question the quality of the carbon fiber and the weave so I'm going to hold off a while until I see and can talk to someone who has it
With a price of $560 shipped. It is very tempting
Old 12-10-08, 01:27 AM
larrysb
Driver

It's got wanna-be written all over it.

Why would you put a wanna-be part on a well-engineered Lexus? Wanna-be vs. really-is. the F is a really-is.
Old 12-10-08, 05:44 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by larrysb
It's got wanna-be written all over it.

Why would you put a wanna-be part on a well-engineered Lexus? Wanna-be vs. really-is. the F is a really-is.
If a Seibon hood is a "wanna-be" part, then why bother getting any exterior mods for the ISF? Lip kits, spoilers, window tint, visors, grills, etc don't provide any performance benefit - we get them because it dresses-up the appearance of the car. Even some aftermarket wheels are worse for performance, but we still put them on the car.

Lots of people like the look of CF parts - that doesn't make them wanna-bes.
Old 12-10-08, 08:21 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
If a Seibon hood is a "wanna-be" part, then why bother getting any exterior mods for the ISF? Lip kits, spoilers, window tint, visors, grills, etc don't provide any performance benefit - we get them because it dresses-up the appearance of the car. Even some aftermarket wheels are worse for performance, but we still put them on the car.

Well said!
Old 12-11-08, 12:53 AM
larrysb
Driver

Originally Posted by montgb

Yeah, it does.

99% of that stuff just looks like *** and most of it is poorly built garbage.

Lee Press On Nails for cars.

Like wearing a clip on tie.
Old 12-11-08, 04:27 AM
Robs IS250
Lexus Fanatic

everyone has their own taste... maybe YOU might not be into it but that doesnt mean it looks like *** or anything... alot of people like CF and alot dont... everyone has their own opinion/taste but dont base your answer on it being hideous and poorly built becuase not ALL CF is poorly built
Old 12-11-08, 07:59 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i will probably get the CF hood, soon i like the CF look
Old 12-11-08, 08:16 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it does.

I have to agree here. Other than doing a black exterior show car for SEMA like the 0-60 car, carbon fiber hoods and trunks etc. have no business being on a car like the IS-F. For starters, CF is played out in my opinion and way overdone. Just look at the interiors of most sports cars and exotics. In some instances it is done in a tasteful manner, but they are few and far between. I'm not a proponent of all show and no go when it comes to car modification. Why would anyone put bigger and heavier wheels on and a CF hood that is heavier than OEM?

Seibon is crap!
Old 12-11-08, 11:09 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, it does.

You're free to have your opinion, but I'm glad that not everyone shares it.
Old 12-11-08, 08:16 PM
AndyZ
Rookie

Just sayin...

I'm not really one to senselessly bash someone else's products and I haven't had too much experience with Seibon products on a personal level but I have heard things.

I will say though for every bad thing I hear about Seibon I usually hear about the same amount of good. It is really all about what you're really looking for and what you expect.

If someone is selling a product for a bargan price then they could only put so much into making that product. In the end everyone needs to make a profit to stay in business. I'm sure Seibon isn't promising that their hood is the best in the world. It's just a carbon fiber hood for those who want one.

Now in other cases like the carbon fiber pieces by Ventross...I can personally say for a fact (and no I don't work for them) that their carbon fiber pieces are very high quality.

Everything Ventross makes is dry vaccum bagged carbon fiber not wet. And they use some of the best coating available to ensure that there isn't any discoloration or UV damage.

I'm not sure how much lighter the Ventross boot lid is than the stock trunk but to provide an example...before we changed it..the trunk popper button would do just that..."pop" open the trunk a bit so it could be lifted...

After installing the Ventross boot lid pressing the trunk popper button fully opens the trunk. It's litterally light enough for the popper to lift the lid all the way up...it was actually pretty cool.
Old 12-13-08, 09:40 PM
TherealFIG
Driver

Originally Posted by AndyZ

Just sayin...

I'm not really one to senselessly bash someone else's products and I haven't had too much experience with Seibon products on a personal level but I have heard things.

I will say though for every bad thing I hear about Seibon I usually hear about the same amount of good. It is really all about what you're really looking for and what you expect.

If someone is selling a product for a bargan price then they could only put so much into making that product. In the end everyone needs to make a profit to stay in business. I'm sure Seibon isn't promising that their hood is the best in the world. It's just a carbon fiber hood for those who want one.

Now in other cases like the carbon fiber pieces by Ventross...I can personally say for a fact (and no I don't work for them) that their carbon fiber pieces are very high quality.

Everything Ventross makes is dry vaccum bagged carbon fiber not wet. And they use some of the best coating available to ensure that there isn't any discoloration or UV damage.

I'm not sure how much lighter the Ventross boot lid is than the stock trunk but to provide an example...before we changed it..the trunk popper button would do just that..."pop" open the trunk a bit so it could be lifted...

After installing the Ventross boot lid pressing the trunk popper button fully opens the trunk. It's litterally light enough for the popper to lift the lid all the way up...it was actually pretty cool.
Well said Andy, it is a matter of investment up front. Everything worth it costs money. the market has been trained that CF hoods are $600-$350 in some cases, then people ***** about things yellowing after a year, cracking the thick gel coat or it being heavier. The Ventross product was what I would expect from a CF product. Dead even weave, perfect finish, and good fitment. I did not have an opportunity to pop the trunk, but it looked like it belonged on the car. Having experience with real composite structural parts and felling the difference, the rest is just garbage. But, do not expect the perfect product to be priced in the same area, it will not. I would rather see a better educated consumer, that realizes the benefits. If you think carbon "looks great" then the seibon parts are for you. If you think that carbon fiber is " one of the most significant aerospace composites ever developed in terms of strength, weight and durability" then you probably are one for a dry prepreg product that costs 3-4X more.

Fig
Old 12-14-08, 07:58 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyZ

Just sayin...

Isn't this off topic? This thread is about Seibon not ventross.
Old 12-14-08, 08:29 PM
AndyZ
Rookie

Originally Posted by 8speed
Isn't this off topic? This thread is about Seibon not ventross.
I'm not sure you read my entire post. I was talking about Seibon I was merely making a comparison to Ventross.

The reason why I mentioned the trunk is because on the first page it was being questioned if a CF hood really had any weight improvement over the stock piece.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hood by Seibon