IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

just got my DRL LEDs lights for the IS-F (9005)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-08, 11:15 PM
is350power
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my DRL LEDs lights for the IS-F (9005)

i got this from v-leds.com

i have no idea how to install it...
i am a real noob.

any tips/help would greatly be appreciated.

thank u soo much for your time.
Attached Thumbnails just got my DRL LEDs lights for the IS-F (9005)-img_0052.jpg  
Old 11-28-08, 11:20 PM
is350power
Driver School Candidate

Default i got stuck and i dont know what to do next

i am dont know how to remove the plastic black thingy for my is-f, this is alot different form is350, which was my last car.

again thank u... for anyone who tries to help me.
i am really lookin forward for be mod to be done.
i cant wait... and see the results.
Attached Thumbnails just got my DRL LEDs lights for the IS-F (9005)-cimg2491.jpg  
Old 11-28-08, 11:42 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thats the same as the x50's. Well in the year 08.
you push down the center and it should pop out.
Old 11-29-08, 07:26 AM
mm767cap
Driver

Originally Posted by iKenn
thats the same as the x50's. Well in the year 08.
you push down the center and it should pop out.
I don't think they come out that way. You have to pry out the center of the fastener with a small flat head screwdriver, then it should just pop out. That's what I did with mine, unless I'm missing the easy way to do this...

I put the same lights in my car.

Here's the install:

Taking off the covers requires you to pop out all the fasteners, and use a 10 or 12mm socket (can't remember which) to remove the one bolt. It's a clever design, there is no nut. You just remove the cover and pull straight up. To reinstall, you just push the cover over the bolt, and you will hear it ratchet itself down.

Next on the drivers side you remove the one bolt that holds in the wiper fluid reservoir. Remove the tall standpipe from the reservoir.... it just pops out at the base. There you will find two dust covers for the light held on by a swinging silver bar. Pull the Low Beams cover off first... it's the one with the yellow warning label... by swinging the silver bar out of the way. That will give you more room. Then you remove the DRL cover the same way. Once you have the bulb expose, just twist it bulb counter clockwise about 1/8th of a turn and the casing should pop out. To remove the bulb, I used a screwdriver, inserted it into the hole on the casing, and twisted thus unseating the tooth that sits up against the plastic lip.

Here is where it gets a little tricky. There is not enough room behind the dust cover to get the module to fit. However, you will notice that if you wiggle and squeeze and coax, you can get the module AND the wiring harness to go between the silver bracket that holds the light assembly and the plastic of the dust cover housing. It's a tight fit, and required some work, but once you get it to drop into that open space, you will see that you can put the dust cover back on without the wires being in the way.

At this point I tested them in High Beam mode to make sure they were lighting up. Reverse the order of the disassembly.

On the passenger side, I've heard guys say they were able to do this without taking off the stock intake. I was not one of those guys. I just removed the intake starting with the snout at the front of the hood until I got the air box and filter out. There is nothing hard about it, you just need to make sure you pay attention to what you are taking off and how, so you can get it back on again. Once the intake is off, the passenger side is easier than the drivers side, as there isn't a wiring bundle do deal with in front of the dust cover. Repeat the same steps to install.

Obviously with the intake off, you aren't going to start the car to test it, so you will only be able to test the DRL's in the full power, high beam mode. Once you have re-assembled, you can then give the car a start and make sure the DRL's work (they should light up in full power, high beam mode, which is what you bought the module for. You will also get a check engine, and VSC light. What I did is pull the negative lead off the battery for several minutes while I put the covers back on. Then you should be able to start the car up without the lights. You will probably have to re-set the window actuators though.

If you need to do this, I'll post the directions chikken gave me:

Any time the battery terminal has been disconnected, initialize each door's power window after reconnecting the battery terminal.

1. Push the engine switch to select the Procedure "IG-ON" mode.

At this time, the driver's door power window switch illumination blinks.

NOTE: When the battery terminal has been disconnected, each door's power window switch illumination blinks.

2. Push the driver's door power window switch and lower the window halfway.

NOTE: When the battery terminal has been disconnected, push each door's power window switch and lower the window halfway.

3. Pull up the driver's door power window switch until the window closes, and hold it for more then one second.

4. Check for the proper operation of the "one-touch open and close" function by fully pushing the switch "DOWN" once and fully pulling the switch "UP" once.

NOTE: Jam protection function is enabled through the above initialization procedure.

The one thing that I might add is when you are re-setting the windows other than the driver's, you have to actually go to that window and use the switch; you can't use the switches on the drivers door.

If you get stuck, PM me and I'll try to help you out.

Good luck. The lights look amazing!!

Last edited by mm767cap; 11-29-08 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-29-08, 07:37 AM
mm767cap
Driver

Oh.... Just in case it doesn't make sense, you install the module by plugging the end with the yellow bands into the bulbs, and use the other side to plug into the wiring coming from the car. It will make sense once you try to plug them all in.
Old 11-29-08, 07:57 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, awesome writeup mm767cap!! Thanks for the info! Do you have any pics of the finished product?
Old 11-29-08, 08:04 AM
mm767cap
Driver

Originally Posted by BigMikeISF
Wow, awesome writeup mm767cap!! Thanks for the info! Do you have any pics of the finished product?
I'll go shoot some today! They really do look good - well worth the trouble
Old 11-29-08, 08:48 AM
ngl1145
Lexus Test Driver

Miles I can't wait to see them. Wish you could help me with the install hehe.
Old 11-29-08, 11:54 AM
mm767cap
Driver

Well, here are the pics. They kind of suck because, well, new camera, bad light, amateur photographer, and the lights are kind of hard to photograph. They don't do them justice; slightly bluer hue in real life but you should be able to get the idea. The last shot is probably the most accurate color of the lights. I couldn't get the car color to be accurate and the bulb color, so in the close up, I just tried to make the bulb true.

Last edited by mm767cap; 11-29-08 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-29-08, 11:55 AM
mm767cap
Driver

Originally Posted by ngl1145
Miles I can't wait to see them. Wish you could help me with the install hehe.
Yeah! Me too!! It's not that bad, really. If I can do it, ANYONE can do it as I'm completely inept at this sort of thing. Let me know if you decide to throw them on and I'll make sure I'm around via phone the day you do it in case you get stuck.
Old 11-29-08, 11:56 AM
mm767cap
Driver

No to totally take over this post, but.... One more thing.

If you are even THINKING about changing out your parking lights at some point (I did), do it at the same time. You don't want to go through the hassle of doing this twice.
Old 11-29-08, 12:53 PM
is350power
Driver School Candidate

Default thank u so much for your time and effort "mm767cap"

"mm767cap" your the best.

the light looks really cool, on your IS-F.
which size/color should i buy for the parkin light?
i am just going to wait for them to come before install the DRL led lights.
Old 11-29-08, 01:30 PM
mm767cap
Driver

Originally Posted by is350power
"mm767cap" your the best.

the light looks really cool, on your IS-F.
which size/color should i buy for the parkin light?
i am just going to wait for them to come before install the DRL led lights.
'

Happy to help.
Here is what you want to order from the same place...

2 V-LEDS HID WHITE 19 SMT LIGHT BULBS 194 168 158 2821

Smart move waiting for them to come in. These bulbs don't need a module, so its just a simple swap. You just pull the bulb out of the socket (make sure you are using latex gloves whenever you touch these things so you don't get your finger oils all over them.

Strangely, the parking lights casing is kind of hard to put back into the mount. Pay close attention to the exact position of the lights when you twist the housing to get it out. They line up only one way, and its kind of goofy getting them to line up again when you put them back. It will make more sense what I'm talking about when you actually do it.
Old 11-29-08, 05:20 PM
cm09578
Lead Lap

Lights look great!
Old 11-29-08, 05:37 PM
Damage
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

are the LEDs brighter or dimmer than the original bulbs?

BTW, is there a way to disable DRL? Sometimes I rather not have them on.

Quick Reply: just got my DRL LEDs lights for the IS-F (9005)