IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

TopGear: M3 vs. IS-F`

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-08, 09:17 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TherealFIG
I guess I gotta be a dork Great to watch the TG guys tear it apart. Clarkson will always speak his truth so not too worried about the bias. I have to wonder what the time would have with trac ON haha. The ISF has a slight bit of soft nature in it because I think it would be hard to ween the japanese off the luxury in the first sitting, after all they had to prove they could sell it. The rest of the work can be left to the owner to dial in That which differentiates us, the fact that ISF owners are willing to mod, the M3 owners...probably not so much. Been witing for this one for a while guys, thanks for the links.

Fig
Are you kidding me? M3's are very tune friendly, theyre are all sorts of things that are out for m3's various turbo kits etc. Youre comment is the exact opposite of whats going to happen the is-f will stay stock because the typical lexus owner does not want to void his warrenty or destroy the reliability.
Old 11-30-08, 09:20 PM
LexFather

Odd b/c the Top Gear magazine had the writer pick the IS-F as the "one he'd take home" and declared it pretty much a 4 way tie between the IS-F/M3/C63/RS4.

Oh well
Old 11-30-08, 10:17 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Just watched the show... I think it's pretty much what we've come to expect. The m3 is definitely faster on the track, but the F is no slouch either, and can keep up. I'm just surprised about the comment regarding the harsh ride, and was also irked that he brought up the exhaust tips. I still don't understand what the big deal is considering all the other sports cars that have the same exhaust design. It gets old. To be fair, maybe he shoulda pointed out that the m3 has fake side vents and half a fake hood vent? ha ha.
Old 11-30-08, 10:24 PM
is350power
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by primecut
Just watched the show... I think it's pretty much what we've come to expect. The m3 is definitely faster on the track, but the F is no slouch either, and can keep up. I'm just surprised about the comment regarding the harsh ride, and was also irked that he brought up the exhaust tips. I still don't understand what the big deal is considering all the other sports cars that have the same exhaust design. It gets old. To be fair, maybe he shoulda pointed out that the m3 has fake side vents and half a fake hood vent? ha ha.
m3 have a fake side vents?
and a half fake hood?
really i never knew that....where did u got that from?
Old 11-30-08, 10:32 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gotta say, those 8 gears are really unnecessary and I believe the m3 is more sporty then our is's
Old 11-30-08, 11:17 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

funny how they kinda bashed the F but it still went around the track faster than a DB9... still... even thou its apples vs apples, this is BMWs million gen M3 while this is the 1st gen F (1F?), not bad
Old 11-30-08, 11:18 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't get it - why do they bash the 8 speeds? The first 6 speeds are pretty close to the M3s. 7th and 8th are simply fuel sipping gears and on a track, you should never see 6, 7 or 8. I actually enjoy the 8 gears and the fuel economy I get out of it.
Old 11-30-08, 11:25 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
I still don't get it - why do they bash the 8 speeds? The first 6 speeds are pretty close to the M3s. 7th and 8th are simply fuel sipping gears and on a track, you should never see 6, 7 or 8. I actually enjoy the 8 gears and the fuel economy I get out of it.
^^^^
What he said!

I've never understood all of this bickering about which cars are better than others. I don't think any of us bought our F's thinking we were getting the faster car on the road, or the fastest car on the track, or the fastest car top speed, or quarter mile...blah, blah, blah. The M3 is a great car as is the C63 or RS4.

IMO, our car offers the best combination of daily driver and performance beast. The styling is something that people will debate forever as aesthetics are subjective and we are all entitled to our opinions.

I have yet to see an owner post that they think they made a bad decision and regret getting their F. Ironically, most of the criticism comes from people that don't own the car...and rarely does it come from owners of the competitors...as we likely all know that we are fortunate to own such fine driving machines.
Old 11-30-08, 11:31 PM
bbyxmishIS
Driver School Candidate

ahhh i can't wait to see it! post it asap please!! =)
Old 11-30-08, 11:42 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by is350power
and a half fake hood?
Yea.. here's a thread discussing the side vents, and here is a
Training Info PDF (See p. 36-37) describing both.

From the pdf, regarding the hood:
"The aperture on the left when viewed in the direction of travel is used for incoming engine air, and the right-hand aperture offers optical symmetry."

I honestly don't think it's a big deal for the m3 to have those fake styling bits; I'm just irritated by the double standard that is placed on the IS-F, given that the tips are in fact functional, albeit not connected.

Originally Posted by iyayitscola;
I gotta say, those 8 gears are really unnecessary and I believe the m3 is more sporty then our is's
m3 is definitely more sporty than the ISX50. Really though... maybe an F owner in Norcal can give you a ride to show you what sporty is like
Old 11-30-08, 11:55 PM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
Are you kidding me? M3's are very tune friendly, theyre are all sorts of things that are out for m3's various turbo kits etc. Youre comment is the exact opposite of whats going to happen the is-f will stay stock because the typical lexus owner does not want to void his warrenty or destroy the reliability.
+1 If you seen the older generation m3.. they have HPF turbo kit. They put out 600-700 + RWHP. Not a joke.. And lexus is nothing close to mod-friendly.

Originally Posted by yayitscola
+1 I have to admit the m3 is way more sportier than the IS. My friend were shopping for a new car last month and we both test drove both of them. I got to admit the BMW feels way better handle wise.

Originally Posted by is350power
and a half fake hood?
+1 How is it fake? Explanation please..

NVM.. Just saw your post..

Oh well, ISF has fake side ducts and do the vents in the front bumper of the C63 serve any purpose?
Old 12-01-08, 10:51 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

ISF does not have fake side vents.
Old 12-01-08, 04:00 PM
Galaxy 40
Pole Position

I've read somewhere in the forums that the side vents are not fake.
Old 12-01-08, 04:06 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkFD26f_EII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRDL5...eature=related
Old 12-01-08, 10:23 PM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

iv seen the girl video before and i love it.

I think the IS-F won that one, that guy had to do like 10000x donuts to get their heart rates up LOL

Quick Reply: TopGear: M3 vs. IS-F`