Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 11:23 PM
BLKnWhtISF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
^^^^
What he said!

I've never understood all of this bickering about which cars are better than others. I don't think any of us bought our F's thinking we were getting the faster car on the road, or the fastest car on the track, or the fastest car top speed, or quarter mile...blah, blah, blah. The M3 is a great car as is the C63 or RS4.

IMO, our car offers the best combination of daily driver and performance beast. The styling is something that people will debate forever as aesthetics are subjective and we are all entitled to our opinions.

I have yet to see an owner post that they think they made a bad decision and regret getting their F. Ironically, most of the criticism comes from people that don't own the car...and rarely does it come from owners of the competitors...as we likely all know that we are fortunate to own such fine driving machines.
couldn't of said it better myself
Old 12-02-08, 12:03 AM
Youngie
Rookie

I test drove all three cars before buying the isF and u really can't go wrong with choosing either of those three cars. I would have been just as happy with M3 or C63 AMG
Old 12-02-08, 11:13 PM
TherealFIG
Driver

Originally Posted by drunk_dave
Are you kidding me? M3's are very tune friendly, theyre are all sorts of things that are out for m3's various turbo kits etc. Youre comment is the exact opposite of whats going to happen the is-f will stay stock because the typical lexus owner does not want to void his warrenty or destroy the reliability.
I know they are tune friendly, it just seems like it takes several gens for the tuners to open them up and get to the goodies. The M3 owner expects the car to be "done" as is. I for one expected the F to be well on its way, meaning the luxury brand could not help but leave some harness out of things which I am happy to add back in. While the Lex owners care about warranty, the majority know that the car will last well beyond its warranty period and are willing to get dirty early. I think the mod hungry crowd would suggest that F owners are willing to void, it just might take a while longer than G1 as I think the car is great out of the box. As soon as that OD hits the mark, I think we will see more engine mods thrown down to see where the numbers go.

I was more getting at that the details that Clarkson talks about can be easily corrected at the compromise of daily driving comfort. The F can use some tightening in the steering and a bit more balance but I will drive it until the intial fun is gone and then I can identify the mods that I would like to change. The M is a great car, with great numbers and I would not mind leasing one at all.

I had great fun with an RS6 tonight...a pretty easy defeat really

Fig
Old 12-03-08, 12:39 AM
BLe92
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TherealFIG
I know they are tune friendly, it just seems like it takes several gens for the tuners to open them up and get to the goodies. The M3 owner expects the car to be "done" as is. I for one expected the F to be well on its way, meaning the luxury brand could not help but leave some harness out of things which I am happy to add back in. While the Lex owners care about warranty, the majority know that the car will last well beyond its warranty period and are willing to get dirty early. I think the mod hungry crowd would suggest that F owners are willing to void, it just might take a while longer than G1 as I think the car is great out of the box. As soon as that OD hits the mark, I think we will see more engine mods thrown down to see where the numbers go.

I was more getting at that the details that Clarkson talks about can be easily corrected at the compromise of daily driving comfort. The F can use some tightening in the steering and a bit more balance but I will drive it until the intial fun is gone and then I can identify the mods that I would like to change. The M is a great car, with great numbers and I would not mind leasing one at all.

I had great fun with an RS6 tonight...a pretty easy defeat really

Fig
You've obviously never checked out M3post or anything else. People that tune cars will tune their cars. People that choose to ride stock will probably remain as such. You can't really identify them with any particular brand. There's hundreds of modded M3s all over Bimmerpost, just like the IS-F over here on club Lexus.

In my opinion, I think your claims are without support.
Old 12-03-08, 06:36 PM
TherealFIG
Driver

Originally Posted by BLe92
You've obviously never checked out M3post or anything else. People that tune cars will tune their cars. People that choose to ride stock will probably remain as such. You can't really identify them with any particular brand. There's hundreds of modded M3s all over Bimmerpost, just like the IS-F over here on club Lexus.

In my opinion, I think your claims are without support.
OK, fair enough. This is just my insight from the owners I know. The modders will always mod the faint of heart will not. The E92 may get faster attention but the E46 seemed like it took a while for things to trickle out. I think the two brands are for different people though, the lexus crowd has never had a car like this as a platform. Maybe this is just wishful speculation but I still think that a german car and a japanese car have fundamental differences in handling "goals." Is the ISF the stiffest production suspension lexus has ever produced, I would say yes. Is it going to be on the same scale as the germans, I would say not. It still has to err on the side of lux than pure performance, and the F does a great job of that.

From a suspension standpoint, I think motivated lex owners would jump on it first if the products were available due to the degree of softness the Japanese put into the car to retain luxury. That is all I am saying.

M3 owners will always benefit from inside tuners like Dinan that create factory warrateed parts to play with, I was mainly referring to the suspension woes that Clarkson spoke of which is really just a tribute to the German philosophy on a handling car.

Its all sacrifices, but I would always take the Japanese reliability factor over the German engineering . Are there really hundreds of modded E92's already?

Last edited by TherealFIG; 12-03-08 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 08:17 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TherealFIG
OK, fair enough. This is just my insight from the owners I know. The modders will always mod the faint of heart will not. The E92 may get faster attention but the E46 seemed like it took a while for things to trickle out. I think the two brands are for different people though, the lexus crowd has never had a car like this as a platform. Maybe this is just wishful speculation but I still think that a german car and a japanese car have fundamental differences in handling "goals." Is the ISF the stiffest production suspension lexus has ever produced, I would say yes. Is it going to be on the same scale as the germans, I would say not. It still has to err on the side of lux than pure performance, and the F does a great job of that.

From a suspension standpoint, I think motivated lex owners would jump on it first if the products were available due to the degree of softness the Japanese put into the car to retain luxury. That is all I am saying.

M3 owners will always benefit from inside tuners like Dinan that create factory warrateed parts to play with, I was mainly referring to the suspension woes that Clarkson spoke of which is really just a tribute to the German philosophy on a handling car.

Its all sacrifices, but I would always take the Japanese reliability factor over the German engineering . Are there really hundreds of modded E92's already?

I believe there's only a few modded E92 but millions of modded old M3's haha
Old 12-04-08, 08:18 PM
Just F Me
Lexus Champion

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

i bought my F because i liked it more then the rest...didn't buy it specially to be better/faster than anyone. how's that?
Old 12-04-08, 08:48 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

I smiled when Clarkson said he liked the design of the 2IS non-IS-F! He likes my car
Old 12-05-08, 02:48 AM
dkaplan435
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they should have switched drivers on a second segment. I seriously doubt JC in the M3 could have caught up w/ the professional driver in the IS-F. For that matter if the pro driver was in an IS-250 he probably would have beaten JC in the M3.

The point is that JC is not a professional driver so it's not surprise he couldn't catch up.
Old 12-05-08, 04:43 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by yayitscola
I gotta say, those 8 gears are really unnecessary and I believe the m3 is more sporty then our is's
no personal experience but I gotta believe 8 gears is not only redundant but an interferance knowing how the Lexus computer operates gear shifts. I'll bet that thing goes up and down unnecssarily quite a bit.
Old 12-05-08, 04:50 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
no personal experience but I gotta believe 8 gears is not only redundant but an interferance knowing how the Lexus computer operates gear shifts. I'll bet that thing goes up and down unnecssarily quite a bit.
Auto mode and not driven hard the car will always be hunting for the highest possible gear to maximize fuel mileage, but even so it's very seamless. Throw the car in manual sport mode and the extra gears are a non-issue as you have full control. Seriously I don't know what all the fuss is about. I think the media and other people are just looking for something to complain about.
Old 12-05-08, 06:34 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caymandive
Seriously I don't know what all the fuss is about. I think the media and other people are just looking for something to complain about.
While I generally agree with your sentiments I also feel that the gear ratios are not optimized for the F. So perhaps the complaint of too many gears is really more of a complaint about the gear ratio spacing.

Rumor has it that Lexus is testing new ratios for the F. I for one would like to see that.
Old 12-05-08, 06:36 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
While I generally agree with your sentiments I also feel that the gear ratios are not optimized for the F. So perhaps the complaint of too many gears is really more of a complaint about the gear ratio spacing.

Rumor has it that Lexus is testing new ratios for the F. I for one would like to see that.
A slightly taller 4th gear would be nice. At least for quarter mile racing.
Old 12-07-08, 10:53 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VikH
I smiled when Clarkson said he liked the design of the 2IS non-IS-F! He likes my car
So did I, I mean look at what he said...
"...the normal IS is a fine and handsome thing"

Good episode over all
Old 12-07-08, 12:05 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

nice production on the intro for the F, with the fog machine and the laser show!

Quick Reply: TopGear: M3 vs. IS-F`