IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

TopGear: M3 vs. IS-F`

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-08, 03:27 AM
BLe92
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TherealFIG
OK, fair enough. This is just my insight from the owners I know. The modders will always mod the faint of heart will not. The E92 may get faster attention but the E46 seemed like it took a while for things to trickle out. I think the two brands are for different people though, the lexus crowd has never had a car like this as a platform. Maybe this is just wishful speculation but I still think that a german car and a japanese car have fundamental differences in handling "goals." Is the ISF the stiffest production suspension lexus has ever produced, I would say yes. Is it going to be on the same scale as the germans, I would say not. It still has to err on the side of lux than pure performance, and the F does a great job of that.

From a suspension standpoint, I think motivated lex owners would jump on it first if the products were available due to the degree of softness the Japanese put into the car to retain luxury. That is all I am saying.

M3 owners will always benefit from inside tuners like Dinan that create factory warrateed parts to play with, I was mainly referring to the suspension woes that Clarkson spoke of which is really just a tribute to the German philosophy on a handling car.

Its all sacrifices, but I would always take the Japanese reliability factor over the German engineering . Are there really hundreds of modded E92's already?
I see what you're saying, which I can understand, but the truth is the e92 mod community is HUGE. I'm definitely not joking when I say hundreds, lol (actually I didn't know if that was a serious question...). Please check out this link, if you will, to see what I'm saying: http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3. It's the image section of the forum I frequent on a daily basis. Scroll through the pages and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Random favs:
M3
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=castle
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=castle
335i
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135870
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190147
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189640
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135870
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150161
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165883 (again)

Originally Posted by yayitscola
I believe there's only a few modded E92 but millions of modded old M3's haha
Yeah the e46 had limitless mod support, especially towards (and after) the end of its cycle. The e92 seems to benefit from the same crowd. They're constantly coming out with tunes/body kits.

I'm not trying to take this thread off-topic btw.

Last edited by BLe92; 12-09-08 at 03:43 AM.
Old 12-09-08, 04:40 AM
Emarati_K
Lead Lap

I really don't believe in this video. M3 Won over the IS-F? how come it won while the IS-F driver was driving it lightly and the M3 Driver went all out with the car driving it roughly while the IS-F was taken too lightly?

This is not fare... either they use the same driving being rough with both cars driving or they use the same guy who drove the M3 and driver the IS-F the same way...

I bet you IS-F is an M3 Killer and it can screw the M3 Big time. They just want the German to win over the Japanese because they know Japanese market is becoming better...
Old 12-09-08, 06:16 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The IS-F is not an M3 killer, they're pretty much even. What I find unfair is to have a pro driver on the M3 and an enthusiast one on the IS-F, they both should be pros.
Old 12-09-08, 06:20 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
The IS-F is not an M3 killer, they're pretty much even. What I find unfair is to have a pro driver on the M3 and an enthusiast one on the IS-F, they both should be pros.
Should be the same person driving if you ask me.
Old 12-09-08, 06:31 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

What I meant is in a race you should have pro drivers on both cars, same driver would be ideal for time comparison only.
Old 12-09-08, 12:58 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

^ That's true, but the fact that Clarkson was able to keep up with a pro driver is a testament to IS-F's ability, right? he he

In terms of aftermarket, I do agree that M3 will likely have better support, but I wouldn't say that there are tons of tuned E92s yet, unless you count painted side markers and black kidney grilles as tunes. And we're not talking about 335s here.
Old 12-09-08, 01:49 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Emarati_K
I really don't believe in this video. M3 Won over the IS-F? how come it won while the IS-F driver was driving it lightly and the M3 Driver went all out with the car driving it roughly while the IS-F was taken too lightly?

This is not fare... either they use the same driving being rough with both cars driving or they use the same guy who drove the M3 and driver the IS-F the same way...

I bet you IS-F is an M3 Killer and it can screw the M3 Big time. They just want the German to win over the Japanese because they know Japanese market is becoming better...
On a track, the M3 will beat the F. It is close enough though that driver skill and ability can be enough to level the comptetion.
Old 12-09-08, 02:30 PM
1MAC
Driver School Candidate

Isn't it funny how every reviewer says that 8 gears is too many, but nobody thinks that the AMG and BMW DCT with 7 gears are excessive? It's like there's some enormous difference between 7 and 8. To me, this reflects an inherent bias against the Japanese car manufacturers rather than a balanced opinion.
You can bet your a$$ that if the German cars had 8 speeds the Lexus would be considered inadequate if it had "only" 7. Let's hope the new BMW DCT holds together better than the infamous SMG failbox!
Old 12-09-08, 06:13 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Remember decades ago when there were 3 gears only, then when the 4-gear transmission came up people gave it a hard time. Same thing when there were 5 gears, people said they weren't necessary. The story goes on with 6-gear and 7-gear transmissions, and now with the IS-F tranny people act as usual. In a couple of years cars will have 7 and 8 gear transmissions as standard, you'll see.
Old 12-09-08, 07:02 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

People are resistant to change, and I applaud Lexus for offering something that the competitors lack. I agree that people just seem try to find ways to complain about the IS-F, and that's because they don't have much to complain about. I smile every time I cruise on the freeway and look at my super low rpms and avg 25+ mpg.
Old 12-09-08, 07:58 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=primecut;4072000]People are resistant to change, and I applaud Lexus for offering something that the competitors lack. I agree that people just seem try to find ways to complain about the IS-F, and that's because they don't have much to complain about. I smile every time I cruise on the freeway and look at my super low rpms and avg 25+ mpg.[/QUOTE]

+1

Agreed
Old 12-09-08, 08:54 PM
LexFather

Lets not forget the M5 and M6 have 7 speed SMGs.....
Old 12-09-08, 11:46 PM
BLe92
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Emarati_K

That's a ridiculous statement full of bias.

What I meant is in a race you should have pro drivers on both cars, same driver would be ideal for time comparison only.
Agreed, this comparison was made on unbalanced grounds. They did use the same driver for their hotlaps though.
Originally Posted by primecut
^ That's true, but the fact that Clarkson was able to keep up with a pro driver is a testament to IS-F's ability, right? he he

In terms of aftermarket, I do agree that M3 will likely have better support, but I wouldn't say that there are tons of tuned E92s yet, unless you count painted side markers and black kidney grilles as tunes. And we're not talking about 335s here.
Haha, yeah. It's not as big as the non-M scene, but the M3 still has plenty of support. Lips, diffusers, wheels, and kidneys seem to be the popular mods.
Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
On a track, the M3 will beat the F. It is close enough though that driver skill and ability can be enough to level the comptetion.
I agree. The difference is nearly negligible. Hats off to Lexus for an amazing first effort.
Remember decades ago when there were 3 gears only, then when the 4-gear transmission came up people gave it a hard time. Same thing when there were 5 gears, people said they weren't necessary. The story goes on with 6-gear and 7-gear transmissions, and now with the IS-F tranny people act as usual. In a couple of years cars will have 7 and 8 gear transmissions as standard, you'll see.
People resist change. I'm not sure if an 8spd transmission will ever become the norm, seeing as a 6spd has all the practicality and versatility you could need, without the added complexities, but I could definitely see a 7spd standard within the next 5-10 years.
Old 12-10-08, 04:48 AM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

4 gears is already waaayy too much