IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Installation Thread: PTS Exhaust -Joe Z series for the IS-F w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-09, 08:48 AM
batdude
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is quite a bit louder than the factory exhaust.

you will realize (so will your neighbors) that you are driving a car that doesn't F* around.

if you are looking for something discreet, this is NOT the product for you.

however, for the majority of us - and i think i speak for most of the customers - it's the exhaust that SHOULD have been on the car when it was built (period).

it's quite throaty and above 4k rpm it screams like a banshee.

when you REALLY dog the car, you will notice you have goose bumps on your arms.

discreet it is not, but it's not anything like having open pipes or anything... and no, i don't think the police would bother you unless you were driving like an *** to go along with the sound.

i will say that the youtube videos are not accurate audio representations of the note of the exhaust... it's much more rumbly and man-like than the video clips.

doug
Old 04-19-09, 08:55 AM
phantax
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it all depends on your own perspective as to what is 'too loud'. Honestly the one thing keeping me from buying this exhaust was that I feared it wasn't throaty enough, now I am considering buying it.

I have never been pulled over in my Mustang that has a full stainless Borla exhaust with no cats and is obnoxiously loud, but being in Cali is a lot different obviously.
Old 04-19-09, 09:16 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

I thought the exact same thing when I first had it installed. That is was sooooo loud and that I had made a mistake. But after it broke in and I put around 2k miles on it, it really mellowed out and turned out great IMO. Not nearly as invasive anymore but will still let anyone within a three block radius know I'm around. Hehe
Old 04-19-09, 09:24 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DRE1615
I thought the exact same thing when I first had it installed. That is was sooooo loud and that I had made a mistake. But after it broke in and I put around 2k miles on it, it really mellowed out and turned out great IMO. Not nearly as invasive anymore but will still let anyone within a three block radius know I'm around. Hehe
I agree, I went so far as checking with my local muffler shop about having the stock mufflers welded to the JoeZ system. But after about 1K miles with the system, it has toned down and for me it is perfect. But I can tell you at first I too thought I made a mistake. All I can say is drive it for a few weeks and let it break in.

Last edited by hwy1isf; 04-19-09 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-19-09, 09:41 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lx470man
for those who have this exhuast? isnt it too loud for you? i drove the car 2 times now on the street and god its loud. I dont think i could live with it, it is just way over the top loud and with some drone. Dont you guys get pulled over by the cops cause it is soooo loud? if this doesnt get any quieter significantly i dont think i can live with it. its like the invidia cat back for my s2000, it was way tooo loud that i returned it within driving my s2000 for 4 blocks.
Like it's been stated before, you should give the exhaust system a chance to break in. Your going to notice it get quieter as you continue to drive with it. I would give it around a 1000 miles before you remove it so it has had a chance to settle with the car. It will get quieter and throatier, just give it a little time
Old 04-19-09, 11:49 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

It will settle in due time..
Old 04-19-09, 10:12 PM
lx470man
Advanced

sounds right, its just i was shocked how loud it was. I pushed her on the expressway today and its screams lik HELL!

this is a fix it ticket though right? i mean its not street legal right?

the police around my neighborhood seem like they go looking for import cars that make noise. rather than the harley with open pipes that are like 4 times louder than the joe z.
Old 04-20-09, 12:57 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Yep, Sunnyvale PD isn't friendly to modified cars. It's not just a fix it ticket, it's a visit to a smog ref if you get caught.
Old 04-20-09, 06:56 AM
verals05
Lead Lap

I'm excited to get mine! I ordered it Sunday on www.l-tunedparts.com I need to have here by Thursday and have it installed before I head to FL.
Old 04-21-09, 06:06 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

My exhaust arrived yesterday and I took a few misc pictures that I hadn't seen posted before. Internal pictures of the X-pipe merge and one through the mufflers.

Side 1 x-pipe (Looks pretty good and has nice sharp edges. )

Side 2 x-pipe

Straight through muffler
Old 04-21-09, 07:30 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

congrats cayman, after installation when you get a change you can dyno...
Old 04-21-09, 07:33 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by LexISguy
congrats cayman, after installation when you get a change you can dyno...
That's the plan man.
Old 04-21-09, 08:51 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Congrats James....

Since I know your a DIY member, here are some online Tips..

Installation Tips for IS-F / PTS Exhaust

• Please consider bringing this exhaust to a professional installer, if you have never done this type of work.
    Using a full car lift will simplify the entire process.

• Please be sure to have TWO people during the installation process. This will ensure proper alignment & fitment during the install.

• Please be sure to work on a cooled exhaust system before removing OEM sections.

• Please be sure NOT to attempt to remove O2 Sensors while still hot or warm.

• Please be sure to have the proper O2 Sensor removal tool.

• Please be sure to use some WD-40 on rubber hangers or bolts when removing or installing the OEM or New Exhaust system sections.

• Rear Axle Section Installation (2 of them)
    Please be sure to install Drivers Side Rear Axle Section second to last.
    Then followed by the Passenger Side Axle Section as the last section installed.

Have fun with the install...!!!

Joe Z
Old 04-21-09, 09:14 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caymandive
My exhaust arrived yesterday and I took a few misc pictures that I hadn't seen posted before. Internal pictures of the X-pipe merge and one through the mufflers.

Side 1 x-pipe (Looks pretty good and has nice sharp edges. )

Side 2 x-pipe

Straight through muffler
Cayman,

I am sure you will love the exhaust, and I'm looking forward to seeing your track times with this system. Besure to post your timeslips again, I think it will provide better information for us than the dyno, especially trap speeds.

Enjoy,

G
Old 04-21-09, 09:54 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Cayman! Your going to love it. Keep us updated and ask any questions you might have during the install

Quick Reply: Installation Thread: PTS Exhaust -Joe Z series for the IS-F w/pics