Installation Thread: PTS Exhaust -Joe Z series for the IS-F w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-11, 10:04 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bulls23337
Does a parts list and install guide come with this? I bought mine used so all I got was (hopefully) all of the exhaust system pieces and nuts/bolts. If someone has the list and install instructions, can someone please post them up? I'd appreciate it!
We have a thread for this very question.....

Does anyone know how to locate installation instructions for the PTS-Joe Z Exhaust?

Happy Thanksgiving..!!

~ Joe Z
Old 11-24-11, 10:11 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Originally Posted by xjason
Does anybody know if Ca does a visual inspection even w/o a CEL?
It really boils down to the SMOG Technician... IF he doesn't look and you pass the sniffer all is well.. IF he looks, sometimes they won't even bother with the sniffer part. Just Fail on arrival.

It's best to found a shop that isn't soo technical.

Also, if your F is Brand New (first owner), I think its 5 years before you will need to do the 1st SMOG test in CA.

~ Joe Z
Old 12-09-11, 10:00 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those exhaust hangers are a pain in the butt!! definitely a 2-man job if you're on jack stands only.

how many bolts is holding the skinny underbody brace? just 2? or 3? i see another bolt attached to the heat shield. does that need to come off too? i tried to take it off and the shield ended up bending as i turned it.
Old 12-10-11, 07:59 AM
mercurymet
Driver

those exhaust hangers are a pain in the butt!! definitely a 2-man job if you're on jack stands only.

how many bolts is holding the skinny underbody brace? just 2? or 3? i see another bolt attached to the heat shield. does that need to come off too? i tried to take it off and the shield ended up bending as i turned it.
The key for removing the bushings with the car on jack stands is a lot of spray lube and a pry bar. Got to pry the bushings beyond those bullet shaped ends.

The flat brace has 2 bolts per side. The tubular long brace has 2 mounting bolts per side and 1 heat shield bolt per side. You need to undo 2 passenger and 3 driver side plastic rivets and loosen 1 plastic bolt (10mm) per anterior inner plastic corner. Once you've done that, you bend the plastic down and squeeze a 12mm soc ketwith ratchet to get the tubular bolts off. It's hard to see them, I used an LED head lamp to aim the light while looking through a hole in front. Lot of it is purely tactile. Plus if you don't use an adapter to the 12mm, it is easier. Also wear eye protection.

Then undo the O2 sensors first and then the header to mid pipe bolts. While supporting, let the front mid pipe droop down. Use the jack to support it in front of the resonator and undo the 2 bolts with springs between the rear and resonator. Lower and remove the mid pipe.

Then pry bar the bushings from the front of the rear section. Once the bushings move beyond the bullets shaped hanger tips, it is easy. The rear will then droop down, you can support it with your jack. Then really lube the bushings of each inner sides of the mufflers and loosen/unattach them with the pry bar, Then wrestle/angle the mufflers to the opposite side while supporting them and using the prybar to keep an outer bushing in place so it can pop off. Support and lower the muffler and do it on the other side. Putting the new exhaust on is cake cause sliding the bushings on with lube takes much less force.

You will have to be underneath the car and mid to rear of the exhaust to do this. It's a real pain the first time and is a lot easier the second time. Plus it's a great neck and ab workout, I call it the Borla workout/ exhaust wrestling/jiu jitsu.
Old 12-10-11, 08:55 AM
boostftw
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I can help I just did this install a few days ago...

I had a hell of a time removing the exhaust hangers too. I went for the hanger mounts instead and then dropped the two mufflers, took them off while they were out then I just re-mounted the hangers. Then for the other brace I believe there is a total of 6 bolts on top, you'll have to remove a few plastic clips so you have access to the top bolt so you can drop the oem exhaust.
Old 12-12-11, 12:37 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

mercurymet and boostftw, thank you very much for your pointers! thanks especially to mercurymet for that detailed walkthrough. really appreciate it!

i was able to get the exhaust on saturday night. i will probably have to go back and readjust some of the flanges. i have a somewhat noticeable leak on the passenger side flanges between the x-pipe and midpipe. there are also some tiny, tiny leaks at the axleback flanges. there should be no leaks whatsoever or are really small ones acceptable? the flanges at the start of the x-pipe to the cat are pretty solid with no leaks.
Old 12-12-11, 12:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

^^ There should be NO LEAKS what-so-ever....

Using a lift would have greatly assisted you, especially while making sure everything is properly aligned.

This is also considering that the "used" gaskets you have are still in working order.....

~ Joe Z
Old 12-12-11, 12:54 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe Z
^^ There should be NO LEAKS what-so-ever....

Using a lift would have greatly assisted you, especially while making sure everything is properly aligned.

This is also considering that the "used" gaskets you have are still in working order.....

~ Joe Z
Thanks Joe for the reply! I wish I had access to a lift. Would have made a 10-hour job for me must shorter and painful lol.

For the gaskets, are you talking about the ones on the bolts used for the two muffler flanges? Or are there gaskets that go in between the flanges? If the latter, the previous owner did not provide them. *The only gaskets I got were the ones on the bolts. Please excuse my somewhat n00bness here.*
Old 12-12-11, 01:18 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Exclamation

Thanks Joe for the reply! I wish I had access to a lift. Would have made a 10-hour job for me must shorter and painful lol.

For the gaskets, are you talking about the ones on the bolts used for the two muffler flanges? Or are there gaskets that go in between the flanges? If the latter, the previous owner did not provide them. *The only gaskets I got were the ones on the bolts. Please excuse my somewhat n00bness here.*
You sir are missing 4 gaskets that look like this....
They are not oem gaskets... These 4 gaskets are supplied with the new exhaust systems.

They were also mentioned in post# 40 of the Install thread I linked you on 11/24/11

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 12-12-11 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-12-11, 02:53 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

You sir are missing 4 gaskets that look like this....
They are not oem gaskets... These 4 gaskets are supplied with the new exhaust systems.

They were also mentioned in post# 40 of the Install thread I linked you on 11/24/11

~ Joe Z
Thanks Joe! I figured something was missing and would figure that gaskets should be installed. I was reading your install instructions and was scratching my head when I saw the parts I was given compared to what was stated in your instructions. Is that the OEM part # for the gaskets? Can I use an aftermarket one or similar?
Old 12-12-11, 03:05 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Arrow

Thanks Joe! I figured something was missing and would figure that gaskets should be installed. I was reading your install instructions and was scratching my head when I saw the parts I was given compared to what was stated in your instructions. Is that the OEM part # for the gaskets? Can I use an aftermarket one or similar?
Ignore the Bag & Part # on it...

These 4 gaskets are supplied with our exhaust system.. Don't think you will find them at any aftermarket parts counter... You might find similiar 2.5 inch gaskets somewhere, but you will have to trim them down to size.

I can get a replacement set to you at $4 x 4..

~ Joe Z
Old 12-12-11, 03:16 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

Ignore the Bag & Part # on it...

These 4 gaskets are supplied with our exhaust system.. Don't think you will find them at any aftermarket parts counter... You might find similiar 2.5 inch gaskets somewhere, but you will have to trim them down to size.

I can get a replacement set to you at $4 x 4..

~ Joe Z
Gotcha. I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of trimming them down. Please PM me on how to order a replacement set. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-12-11, 03:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Gotcha. I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of trimming them down. Please PM me on how to order a replacement set. Thanks a lot!
If your in SoCal, we can meet up directly.......

~ Joe Z
Old 12-12-11, 04:00 PM
Bulls23337
Intermediate

If your in SoCal, we can meet up directly.......

~ Joe Z
Hey Joe, I'm down in San Diego. Where are you?
Old 12-12-11, 08:48 PM
mercurymet
Driver

mercurymet and boostftw, thank you very much for your pointers! thanks especially to mercurymet for that detailed walkthrough. really appreciate it!

i was able to get the exhaust on saturday night. i will probably have to go back and readjust some of the flanges. i have a somewhat noticeable leak on the passenger side flanges between the x-pipe and midpipe. there are also some tiny, tiny leaks at the axleback flanges. there should be no leaks whatsoever or are really small ones acceptable? the flanges at the start of the x-pipe to the cat are pretty solid with no leaks.
Bulls,

Your welcome! I'm glad you got the new exhaust on. I felt your pain. Aborted the first attempt cause I didn't have a prybar and couldn't get the bushings off with my hands.

Tom

Quick Reply: Installation Thread: PTS Exhaust -Joe Z series for the IS-F w/pics