IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

F or Beater?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 11:13 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F or Beater?

I have a dilemma and need you guys' help. I'm going to Vegas over the weekend and potentially carpooling with a couple of people. I'm going to be the one driving, and I have a hard time deciding whether to take the F or my daily beater (01 Malibu).

If I take the F, then I would enjoy the drive a million times more. And I'm not too worried about mileage or chips (I'm clear bra'd). What really stresses me out is the thought of leaving my car with the valet (They could ding my car or take it for a joyride.. who knows.) Or risking it with self-park (Drunk people + less security.)

If I take the beater, I don't really have to worry about a thing, but the drive up/down would be boring and lame, plus I don't want to put additional strain on the car (Since I really want to keep it for a long time as my daily beater/commuter).

Any thoughts? Help is much appreciated!
Old 12-16-08, 11:17 PM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

take the F. don't valet, which is easy. you'll score great deals in vegas with no one going there now, so you'll enjoy the F a whole lot more instead of the whole trip being on economy!
Old 12-16-08, 11:20 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

haha just take the F...I took mine up to San Jose for the EOS meet earlier this year...but damn...the ride was harsh...hehe...now with my JIC magic Coilovers it should be more comfortable if I do that trip again...lol
Old 12-16-08, 11:21 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

that's a chance you're going to have to take.. i'd take the F, if i had a nice car like you do, i'd wanna show it off as much as possible =)
Old 12-17-08, 12:11 AM
RyanQ
Driver School Candidate

how much and how fast have you enjoy your ISF in CA? I know a lot friends of mine buy nice car then use a beater or rent a car to go to LV. What 's the point of buying nice and fast car but not using it?
If there is a ding, well, you may get one at CA anyway due to tiny parking space. In vegas, more chance to find good - self parking place, only thing you need is look around and pray for no hater. But otherwise, CA-LV trip is fun with open road and fast people driving around you. Just need to look out for popo more if you drive fast. I'll say pick out some fast driver or fast group on the way and enjoy the ride in your ISF.
Old 12-17-08, 06:28 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

My man, take the "F"! Do what I do, just tip the valet $20 to keep the car parked out front right next to the ferraris and lambos. Then it will be highly visible under the lights and cameras. That way you can enjoy your lap dances in piece knowing you will not have to worry about the valet tooling around in your ride or being parked next to some beater with 8ft doors in a dingy garage. I would be more concerned about my drunk friends in the back seat on the ride there!

Last edited by cssnms; 12-17-08 at 06:38 AM.
Old 12-17-08, 07:25 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ClearBra FTW! Since you don't have to worry about rock chips, I say drive that F to Vegas and fill the backseat with girls who believe that "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas".
Old 12-17-08, 07:57 AM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by montgb
ClearBra FTW! Since you don't have to worry about rock chips, I say drive that F to Vegas and fill the backseat with girls who believe that "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas".
+1

If you really don't want to self park it, do what cssnms said, tip the valet $20 when you pull up and have them leave it upfront, that way it's nice and safe
Old 12-17-08, 09:19 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well.. of course the F

first, only valet at 5 star hotel, at places like Bellagio or Wynn, they valet Lambo, Ferrari all day long, i think you'll be fine.

and plus, you can always just park yourself then walk everywhere, it's vegas! who drives around...
Old 12-17-08, 10:27 AM
cm09578
Lead Lap

Take the beater! If not, you will be worried the whole time about the car and will not be able to enjoy the trip.
Old 12-17-08, 10:29 AM
CrazyTrain
Pole Position

I too am taking my F to Vegas this weekend.
Old 12-17-08, 10:34 AM
TrendyTodd
Lexus Test Driver

Take the F and enjoy it! Whether you take the beater or take the F, you're always gonna have it on your mind, "I wonder if the F is ok" or "Damn, I should have brought the F". So take the F, have a few tequilas, visit the "local attractions" and ride in style!
Old 12-17-08, 11:13 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, are you kidding?

Take the F...unless you know you won't be able to pass on the road pops...lol. Why pass up the opportunity to enjoy your ride on the highway and travel in style? If you arent' going to enjoy it, why'd you buy it? j/k...sorta
Old 12-17-08, 11:42 AM
avgj0F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1st option: take the F and learn what it can really do for you

2nd option: fly and avoid all the stresses, including traffic & speeding ticket.
Old 12-17-08, 01:22 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for all the great advice guys. So it looks like the majority who thinks I should drive there also thinks that I should valet the car. Do you guys trust the valets to not go out for a joyride? And how much should I tip them to park it where it won't get scratched or dinged?

Quick Reply: F or Beater?