IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-08, 09:39 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, some news for all of you, I have an appointment tomorrow morning for a dyno session. After the dyno is done I'll be heading to Moroso and get some 1/4 mile times. If everything goes as planned I should be shipping my ECU to Andy next week. Does anybody know how to remove the ECU from the car? Is the TCU the same box as the ECU? If not, how do I remove it?

Thanks.
Old 12-05-08, 10:28 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanca
OK, some news for all of you, I have an appointment tomorrow morning for a dyno session. After the dyno is done I'll be heading to Moroso and get some 1/4 mile times. If everything goes as planned I should be shipping my ECU to Andy next week. Does anybody know how to remove the ECU from the car? Is the TCU the same box as the ECU? If not, how do I remove it?

Thanks.
Lobuxracer has some instructions he can send you, but as he said to me, you might want to look into getting a used ECM from a totaled IS-F to work with before committing the one with your VIN already on it. This way you can remove their unit and replace your good one so you still have a running car.

PS..Probably not feasible since I've yet to see a totaled IS-F, but who knows.
Old 12-05-08, 12:19 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
I'm following this with interest. I'm curious if you can make the calibration switchable based on the setting of sport mode switch. Reason I ask is that it would be nice to have it be tame/normal until called upon.
You'll get exactly what you're asking for. Quicker/Firmer WOT shifts and buttery smooth part throttle shifts that are still significantly quicker than stock.

Originally Posted by DRE1615
Yes I was thinking that same thing. How about snow mode as well? Hopefully with the retune that stuff won't go out the window.
We won't touch snow mode so no worries.
Old 12-05-08, 12:49 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Andy,

So the ECU tuning will work only when switching to Sport mode, right? The same thing with the TCU tuning, only available when switching to manual mode? Otherwise the car will be like any other Lexus?
Old 12-05-08, 01:45 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
Good deal, thanks for the replies!

FYI, all Lexi including hybrids are fair game. Toyota Tundras as well.

Thanks
you have PM!
Old 12-05-08, 02:22 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Andy,

So the ECU tuning will work only when switching to Sport mode, right? The same thing with the TCU tuning, only available when switching to manual mode? Otherwise the car will be like any other Lexus?
Exactly the same question I have based on your response. I'm looking for your tune to only be active when sport mode is on. If not sport mode then does the tune "revert" to the standard Lexus tune?

It is OK to say: "No. our tune is always active" but I'm just wondering if you can make it conditional.
Old 12-05-08, 06:47 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

I'm definitely low on the post-totem-pole but if for some reason Juanca falls through, I nominate myself next!

I don't have any runs from Moroso, but I live less than 20 minutes from it. I currently have the SRT Intake + PiggyBack ECU which are coming off. I have dyno access (dynojet) in orlando....

Old 12-05-08, 07:06 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Andy,

Sorry if I wasn't clear before. Your car will see the most gains as in the quickest/firmest shifts and run its best times/traps in manual mode, correct. Snow mode will remain untouched. Every other mode will be moderately affected, as in shifts will be quicker but as smooth or smoother than stock.
We pride ourselves on our ability to provide complete driveline tuning on exotic and high end luxury cars/SUVs. In no way shape or form would we compromise part throttle drivability for ultimate WOT performance--unless specifically told to do so.
No worries, you're going to love the tuning!

Also, FYI, we're officially in the process of becoming site sponsors and should be good to go by next Wed at latest. Thanks for the site staff/admins and IB for allowing us to get this far in the meantime.
Old 12-06-08, 05:15 AM
stick
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MHP
Sorry if I wasn't clear before. Your car will see the most gains as in the quickest/firmest shifts and run its best times/traps in manual mode, correct. Snow mode will remain untouched. Every other mode will be moderately affected, as in shifts will be quicker but as smooth or smoother than stock.
We pride ourselves on our ability to provide complete driveline tuning on exotic and high end luxury cars/SUVs. In no way shape or form would we compromise part throttle drivability for ultimate WOT performance--unless specifically told to do so.
No worries, you're going to love the tuning!

Also, FYI, we're officially in the process of becoming site sponsors and should be good to go by next Wed at latest. Thanks for the site staff/admins and IB for allowing us to get this far in the meantime.

When the baseline dynos are done, should two runs be logged: one in normal "drive" and the other in manual mode? If manual mode will have the most gains (I'm guessing you mean faster shifts and hp/tq gains), I would like to see what they are before and after, but also compared to normal "drive" mode.
Old 12-06-08, 08:31 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stick
When the baseline dynos are done, should two runs be logged: one in normal "drive" and the other in manual mode? If manual mode will have the most gains (I'm guessing you mean faster shifts and hp/tq gains), I would like to see what they are before and after, but also compared to normal "drive" mode.
I don't see there being any difference on the dyno (at the track yes) but in gear there shouldn't be an issue unless manual mode allows the car to rev higher?

I do think that 3 pulls should be made before/after.
Old 12-06-08, 09:29 AM
LexISguy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the tune going to eliminate the speed governer and raise the rev limit in addition to some more horsepower?
Old 12-06-08, 10:39 AM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

I just got my car dynoed, 349RWHP/345ft-lbs:

The guy that ran the dyno told me that all those spikes that we see on the graph, even when smoothing at 5, could be timing... I don't know.

I think I could get a couple of more HP if I'd let the car cool down before hitting the dyno, I drove fast not to loose my appointment and the car went straight to the first pull.

I should be going to Moroso in a couple of hours and get 1/4 mile times.
Old 12-06-08, 12:19 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexISguy
Is the tune going to eliminate the speed governer and raise the rev limit in addition to some more horsepower?
Yes to all 3, your cars will have a significant amount more low end and midrange, and part throttle wise it will feel like a different car--just as with WOT.
Juanca is going to be a very happy man in the within the next 2 weeks.
Old 12-06-08, 12:23 PM
MHP
Pole Position

I just got my car dynoed, 349RWHP/345ft-lbs:

The guy that ran the dyno told me that all those spikes that we see on the graph, even when smoothing at 5, could be timing... I don't know.

I think I could get a couple of more HP if I'd let the car cool down before hitting the dyno, I drove fast not to loose my appointment and the car went straight to the first pull.

I should be going to Moroso in a couple of hours and get 1/4 mile times.
Excellent!

Thank you for getting the testing done so quickly Juan. You can see the ECU pulling timing upstairs, at this point I'm quite optimistic about the HP/TQ gains themselves.

Can you please have the dyno shop email me the raw winpep file (andrew@modernhorsepower.com). I'd like to put rpm on the X axis and be able to put pre/post numbers on the same graph to show exact gains per rpm.

Thanks, and good luck at the track!

Andy
Old 12-06-08, 12:25 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Two questions, Juanca what gear was the dyno done in 5th? What gear is 1:1 in a 8A, guessing 5th?

Thanks
Andy

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)