IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-08, 12:14 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers, Joe....Thanks.

Good luck Juan...Let us know how the disassembly goes.

Colin.
Old 12-10-08, 12:20 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Thanks Joe, I need to learn how to use something other than Word on a computer lol.

ISFer, weird...Anyway, as Joe posted, that's what we're after!

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-10-08, 01:45 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy, I PMed you with some info. Basically I'll be shipping my ECU this weekend (probably Friday), I'll send you tracking information. Very important, please take good care of this ECU and good luck hacking it.

I'll post pictures of the removal process as well as any markings on the ECU itself (I guess all of them are the same, not different revisions, but just in case).

Wish me luck people...
Old 12-10-08, 02:38 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MHP
Thanks Joe, I need to learn how to use something other than Word on a computer lol.

ISFer, weird...Anyway, as Joe posted, that's what we're after!

Thanks
Andy
No Problem Andy...

Looks like we share the same goals!!

Creating more Rwhp for the IS-F!!!

- Joe Z
Old 12-10-08, 02:46 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Juanca
Andy, I PMed you with some info. Basically I'll be shipping my ECU this weekend (probably Friday), I'll send you tracking information. Very important, please take good care of this ECU and good luck hacking it.

I'll post pictures of the removal process as well as any markings on the ECU itself (I guess all of them are the same, not different revisions, but just in case).

Wish me luck people...
Great Juan, we've already started on your cal and can't wait to get your box in. Thanks for taking the time to post detailed removal/install instructions as well.
Old 12-10-08, 02:47 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joe Z
No Problem Andy...

Looks like we share the same goals!!

Creating more Rwhp for the IS-F!!!

- Joe Z

I have a feeling we'll be able to uncork a few additional horses for those with your exhaust.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-10-08, 03:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

This might be helpful. Best of luck guys.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
IS-F ECM.doc (354.5 KB, 193 views)
Old 12-10-08, 03:15 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More and more excited each and every time I check into this thread!!! Question to you MHP, is in the first post I saw numbers of about $4500 for the tune...this can't be right can it? M5's are getting tuned by Dinan at a cost of around $1500, or something like that. I'm very encouraged to have this done, however cost is the only issue.

Keep us updated. Or will you not know exactly until you have done the entire reprogram?

Thanks!
Old 12-10-08, 03:31 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked with Sterling McCall Lexus here in Houston about the cost and availability of a new ECM for my F. The cost is $1264.70, and they could not tell me what the delivery is. It might be as much as six weeks.

CL sponsoring Dealers ---- What price can you get one for me, and how soon?

Pat
Old 12-10-08, 04:10 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ECU (they call it ECM) from Carson Toyota sell for $974

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Old 12-10-08, 05:05 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by timeToy
ECU (they call it ECM) from Carson Toyota sell for $974

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0
Toyota have always called their engine control ECM. They've never had a separate engine and transmission control. It's pretty odd the IS-F's ECM would be cheaper than all the other 2IS ECMs. It makes me suspicious of their pricing - maybe their numbers will change if you actually order one. Strangely enough, the VDIM ECU costs more than the IS-F ECM. How bizarre is that?

Also interesting how many Lexus dealers charge more than MSRP for parts (sometimes a LOT more). I've walked out because of this in Atlanta.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-10-08 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-10-08, 06:10 PM
FPR1939
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thought is: If Andy's control mods make the additional hp improves the trans shifts as he expects, I will buy a spare ECU/ECM module and have him program it. I will then be able to switch them out at will.

Would be fun to take the car to the track and make one run with the standard ECU/ECM and then with the modified and see the difference.
Old 12-10-08, 06:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Originally Posted by FPR1939
My thought is: If Andy's control mods make the additional hp improves the trans shifts as he expects, I will buy a spare ECU/ECM module and have him program it. I will then be able to switch them out at will.

Would be fun to take the car to the track and make one run with the standard ECU/ECM and then with the modified and see the difference.
Unfortunately it won't be completely fair. The ECM tunes the engine using the WB O2 feedback to set long and short term fuel trims. When you unplug the ECM, it resets those trims to factory default. If you drive to the track with one ECM, it will be better tuned for closed loop than the one you plug in at the track. At WOT it still matters because the Toyota program uses the learned numbers to modify the open loop maps arbitrarily even though it isn't using the WB O2 for feedback at WOT. If the engine is perfectly happy at the factory default settings then it's a fair comparison, but unless you're at the ideal altitude, the ECM is going to be learning while you're running the second device and the results won't be apples to apples.

Just food for thought if you decide to do this comparison.

Some other food for thought - the timing retard on the dyno test is pretty obvious. It might be possible to eliminate this without any changes to the timing maps, and it might also be the result of heat soak on the dyno that does not exist on the street (or track). I've been able to recover lost timing just by changing coolant/water ratios in the cooling system, and while I do like the longevity of the pink stuff Toyco sells now, the longlife doesn't mean it's an ideal coolant for high performance.

Another really important consideration - while most of the rest of the country can buy 93 octane without a problem, California residents can't. Two octane points makes a big difference in allowable error for ignition timing. So if this tune is optimized for a "49 state" fuel, California will require a different tune, and in all likelihood, will not see the same benefits as the owners in the rest of the country.

Last edited by lobuxracer; 12-10-08 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-10-08, 06:25 PM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I will check on the ECM price and let you guys know what I can do.
Old 12-10-08, 07:26 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMG! Thanks lobuxracer, this is great. BTW, the first picture in the document is missing.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
This might be helpful. Best of luck guys.

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)