IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-08, 04:14 PM
BigMikeISF
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zakizaki
Juanca, thanks from all of us for taking the time and making the effort to do this. Hopefully, you will have a wonderfully tuned IS-F and Andy will have lots of demand for his work as well. Good job guy
+1. Awesome job guys, thanks and I can't wait to hear about the final tune
Old 12-13-08, 05:17 PM
ISFer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers, Juan, and everyone......It's almost 'payoff' time.......

C.
Old 12-13-08, 05:25 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The power of community !

Nice, I'm definitely looking forward to see the results !
Old 12-14-08, 07:24 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

If you able to tap into the IS-F's ECU, there are tens of THOUSANDS of IS250 and IS350 that are potential customers! Good luck with the tune.
Old 12-14-08, 09:00 PM
btwanky
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
More and more excited each and every time I check into this thread!!! Question to you MHP, is in the first post I saw numbers of about $4500 for the tune...this can't be right can it? M5's are getting tuned by Dinan at a cost of around $1500, or something like that. I'm very encouraged to have this done, however cost is the only issue.

Keep us updated. Or will you not know exactly until you have done the entire reprogram?

Thanks!
i too also agree with this... i dont think i'd pay even 2000$... so instead im taking my car now to a local auto shop in orlando... and there gonna play around with my car... and try to get some results... I'll let you guys know what i found out... they said they could most likely get some ponies for only a couple hundred $$$
Old 12-14-08, 09:26 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
If you able to tap into the IS-F's ECU, there are tens of THOUSANDS of IS250 and IS350 that are potential customers! Good luck with the tune.
and second gen IS300 owners...

Originally Posted by btwanky
i too also agree with this... i dont think i'd pay even 2000$... so instead im taking my car now to a local auto shop in orlando... and there gonna play around with my car... and try to get some results... I'll let you guys know what i found out... they said they could most likely get some ponies for only a couple hundred $$$
goodluck with that, no one has been able to tune this car!! MHP seem to know what they are talking about so ill give them the benefit of the doubt. I really hope this works, price is a bit steep but like someone said: u got pay to play

MHP quick question:

u offer ECU and ECTupgardes, so once flashed how does the power break down between the two? (of total power gained im assuming probably 80 % from ECU and 20% from the ECT)

also what is the expected percentage of total power to be gained for a given vehicle? (theoretically say for an F u can get around 40hp ~ 10%, so for an IS350 we would see gains of only 30 hp?) or does it not work like that?

forgive my ignorane
Old 12-14-08, 10:12 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
If you are successful, you should get a lot more than 20. I'll be a lot more surprised if you can disable the learning function since, AFAIK, it's burned into ROM aboard the processor. Again, best of luck, but I am very skeptical you will be as successful as you expect.
I think we'll get more than 20 too. Thanks!

Originally Posted by ToothDoc
Thanks Doc!

Originally Posted by btwanky
That's a common response from someone that doesn't understand how we tune. A comparable (E92 M3/W204 C63) ECU/TCU takes around 15-20hrs to properly calibrate per application. There are no removing/resoldering of chips, there are no tables to copy and paste, we literally move 1s and 0s around on thousands of different pages to achieve what we call complete custom driveline tuning.
When it comes to tuning, much like everything else in life, you get what you pay for. Pay K-Mart rates, expect a K-Mart product, again especially in this business. You may want to check into the price of a spare bottom end before going to a "local auto shop".

Originally Posted by ndk83
and second gen IS300 owners...
We can do those as well, even hybrids, even Prius hybrids--God that's just wrong.

MHP quick question:

u offer ECU and ECTupgardes, so once flashed how does the power break down between the two? (of total power gained im assuming probably 80 % from ECU and 20% from the ECT)

also what is the expected percentage of total power to be gained for a given vehicle? (theoretically say for an F u can get around 40hp ~ 10%, so for an IS350 we would see gains of only 30 hp?) or does it not work like that?

forgive my ignorane
That's actually a great question. From what we've seen on BMW/MBs so far the split can vary per vehicle--not even make/model, but car by car. Sometimes 40% of the torque management is in the ECU, sometimes 40% is in the TCU, etc. Reg MB/AMGs, there were over 300 different potential combinations of ECU/TCU splits, and that was before scrambling or encryption. We are now the only tuner in the world doing the most up to date 63 ECU/TCUs (MB decided to scramble the tables monthly and encrypt them as of 2 mos ago).
Our honest goal for the IS-F with just tuning is 25-30rw, looking at the stock curve (or lackthereof after 5200rpm), there may be more in it.
I looked over the base cal of a IS350 late last week, should be 15-20rw in it.
There is unfortunately no generic percentage that we can apply to an untuned vehicle to show what gains should be. Basically, every platform has different restrictions/limitations.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-14-08, 10:21 PM
MHP
Pole Position

One more thing. We have already paid to be sponsors and I have faxed in the requisite paperwork so we're basically just waiting on the site admins to get the ok to put "sponsor" under our usernames. Just wanted to say that before posting the rest...

If the tuning turns out to be everything we think it will be and Juan's results corroborate this, we will offer a one time group purchase on ECU/TCU Tuning. List price for complete drivline tuning will be $4500 just like the E92 M3 and W204 C63, for the first ten customers the price will be $3900 including overnight shipping from us back to you.

Although seperate (ECU or TCU) tunes will not be available with the initial GP, we can do them as well. $2000 for ECU and $2500 for TCU.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-14-08, 10:41 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great news.....can't wait
Old 12-15-08, 05:04 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
One more thing. We have already paid to be sponsors and I have faxed in the requisite paperwork so we're basically just waiting on the site admins to get the ok to put "sponsor" under our usernames. Just wanted to say that before posting the rest...

If the tuning turns out to be everything we think it will be and Juan's results corroborate this, we will offer a one time group purchase on ECU/TCU Tuning. List price for complete drivline tuning will be $4500 just like the E92 M3 and W204 C63, for the first ten customers the price will be $3900 including overnight shipping from us back to you.

Although seperate (ECU or TCU) tunes will not be available with the initial GP, we can do them as well. $2000 for ECU and $2500 for TCU.

Thanks
Andy
Andy, are there any plans to offer this service for the other ISxxx models?
Old 12-15-08, 05:23 AM
ndk83
Pole Position

^^ he said any lex would be possible
Old 12-15-08, 05:39 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, but I didn't know if the quoted $3900 (for the 1st ten cars) applies just to the ISF or to all IS models. You have to admit that 3.9K is expensive for an expected gain of 15-20whp!
Old 12-15-08, 07:09 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Andy,

I have been following the progress of this thread since day one and I must say that your efforts to establish this relationship have gone above and beyond. Your responses are as detailed and informative today as they were a month ago and I think it's starting to show in the comfort level of fellow CL members.

I cannot remember if this topic was discussed and apologies if you answered this already, but will the tune remove the top speed limiter too?

..."and that was before scrambling or encryption. We are now the only tuner in the world doing the most up to date 63 ECU/TCUs (MB decided to scramble the tables monthly and encrypt them as of 2 mos ago)."

Curious, regarding your quote above... Why is MB all of a sudden going through the trouble of scrambling and encrypting the tables monthly?

Last edited by cssnms; 12-15-08 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-15-08, 11:27 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cssnms
Hey Andy,

I have been following the progress of this thread since day one and I must say that your efforts to establish this relationship have gone above and beyond. Your responses are as detailed and informative today as they were a month ago and I think it's starting to show in the comfort level of fellow CL members.

I cannot remember if this topic was discussed and apologies if you answered this already, but will the tune remove the top speed limiter too?

..."and that was before scrambling or encryption. We are now the only tuner in the world doing the most up to date 63 ECU/TCUs (MB decided to scramble the tables monthly and encrypt them as of 2 mos ago)."

Curious, regarding your quote above... Why is MB all of a sudden going through the trouble of scrambling and encrypting the tables monthly?
I remember reading they push the fuel cut off about 300 rpm higher
Old 12-15-08, 01:50 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by montgb
Andy, are there any plans to offer this service for the other ISxxx models?
Yes, all models will be fair game, and pricing will be different per model.

Yes sir!

Originally Posted by montgb
Yes, but I didn't know if the quoted $3900 (for the 1st ten cars) applies just to the ISF or to all IS models. You have to admit that 3.9K is expensive for an expected gain of 15-20whp!
No, the $3900 GP is for IS-Fs only. IS350s will have their own price (not yet determined) as will IS250s, Prius's, Tundras, etc.

Originally Posted by cssnms
Hey Andy,

Thank you for the kind words. We try to be as open, honest and detailed about questions we are asked since we know most customers/potential customers we deal with are professionals of a different genre. As long as you're not asking us to give away a trade secret we'll be more than happy to explain the how's and why's.
As for MB scrambling and encrypting their code, we knew it was coming, we knew the 2010s had both for sure since we already have those cals. We believe they started early for two reasons, one to work their own bugs out, two because we cleared out their U.S. inventory of spare ECU/TCUs and began ordering them direct from Germany. MB and other companys keep a close watch on certain parts and they do read the boards.

Originally Posted by nabbun
I remember reading they push the fuel cut off about 300 rpm higher
We can raise shift points/redline by 1000rpm if we want, obviously we'd never do that, but the amount raised (if at all) depends on the exact application at hand.

Otherwise, Juan we received your control units today. Should be a fun week.

Thanks!
Andy

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)