IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-08, 08:19 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zakizaki
(...)I will therefore tell you that your statement about these euro transmissions shifting "infinitely faster than" our 8A is totally and categorically wrong(...)
He mean once the TCU has been tuned...
Old 11-24-08, 08:24 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zakizaki
Dear sir, you are misinformed.

The IS-F transmissioin utilizing direct shift, in the Manual mode shifts at 100milliseconds = 0.1 seconds; this is blisteringly fast.

For the SMG transmission of BMW:
When shifting in S4 at 2500 rpm it takes 0.36 seconds to make the change, at 6000 rpm it takes 0.21 seconds, and by 8000 rpm, it takes 0.135 seconds.
The speed vary from D1 at 2500 rpm which is the slowest change at 0.60 seconds, to the fastest, S6 at 0.065 seconds;

Therefore the SMG at it very fastest, shifts only 0.035 secs quicker and only when the S6 is being utilized; everything else is slower than the every day M shift of the IS-F

The much famed Mercedes MCT transmission at it fastest, in Manual mode, shifts at 100 milliseconds which is 0.1 seconds; EXACTLY the same speed as the IS-F.

-----------------
I will therefore tell you that your statement about these euro transmissions shifting "infinitely faster than" our 8A is totally and categorically wrong.

I would not entrust my IS-F to someone who does not have the true facts about something that he proposes to improve upon.

Perhaps you can do the Merc and BMW crowd a real favor and find some way to improve upon their pitiful reliability issues. Now that would be a service they would benefit from and appreciate.
LOL, great post and all but you've never driven a MHP tuned SMG/MCT.

I've only driven M5/M6s at shift level 6 which as you just highlighted is roughly 1/3 quicker than the IS-F.

I have not driven a MCT/SL63 though we have tuned them and further reduced shift time vs the stock 100 ms.

The bottom line is we can make what you have quicker/faster.

Please don't turn this into a Japan vs Euro thing. I'm not here to debate which brand is better.

Thanks
Old 11-24-08, 08:25 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by timeToy
He mean once the TCU has been tuned...
Thank you for taking the time to correctly read my post.
Old 11-24-08, 08:28 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by MHP
LOL, not so much on the shifting. I've driven an IS-F and it's not even close to blisteringly fast. We can improve on BMWs SMG and MBs MCT which shift inifinitely faster than your 8As.
Dealers can't see the changes we make to the code as we don't pry chips off boards and resolder them.
Dealer's can also void warranty's for exhausts that gain 20rw, they'll simply claim the trans/converter wasn't designed to handle the extra power end of story.
If there's no market here no big deal. We'll stick to the Euro stuff.

Thanks
The only production car that shifts faster than the IS-F is a Ferrari. Also BMW just had a recall on the M3 SMG for making the car shut off in heavy braking.

Clearly the IS-F and "F" marque is new, just as the "M" marque started off with the E30 and AMG started off with the C32 when Benz bought AMG. Both companies started with one model and have expanded to what they have today.

Ladies and Gents lets ALL play nicely. Thanks

Old 11-24-08, 08:28 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,953 Likes on 2,394 Posts

Only one question - do you have any experience on Scion/Toyota/Lexus? If you don't, you're blowing smoke about being able to change anything. I have personal contacts in your industry who are well known for Audi/Porsche tuning - they've been working on Toyota's encryption for about 2 years now and still don't have it.

So, have you done this or are you claiming you can do it without actually having successfully flashed a unit yet? The list of claimants is long - World Tuning, Cobb Tuning, and a host of others have said they "will do it." So far, since I first started working this issue in 1997 with the Supra ECM, no one has been able to access Toyota's code and change it.

If you're not doing a reflash, then you've got a piggyback emulator.

What are you really claiming you can do?
Old 11-24-08, 08:43 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Guys to keep this thread open, please keep this a theoretical discussion only of the pros/cons of tuning the ECU in the IS-F.

MHP is not an approved forum vendor and has been notified of our forum rules on 'gathering interest' and advertising on CL.
Old 11-24-08, 08:45 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Guys to keep this thread open, please keep this a theoretical discussion only of the pros/cons of tuning the ECU in the IS-F.

MHP is not an approved forum vendor and has been notified of our forum rules on 'gathering interest' and advertising on CL.
+
Old 11-24-08, 08:51 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Thanks for your understanding Dave. We will stick to theoretical discussion only at this point.
Old 11-24-08, 08:54 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The only production car that shifts faster than the IS-F is a Ferrari. Also BMW just had a recall on the M3 SMG for making the car shut off in heavy braking.
Actually the M5/M6 SMGs shift faster in mode 6--comparable to your fastest shifting level as far as modes go. Ferrari trans shift times can also be improved on btw.
Sorry can't comment on the BMW M3 SMG issue, that's not a TCU related problem.

Clearly the IS-F and "F" marque is new, just as the "M" marque started off with the E30 and AMG started off with the C32 when Benz bought AMG. Both companies started with one model and have expanded to what they have today.

Ladies and Gents lets ALL play nicely. Thanks
For their first shot so to speak Lexus did a great job no question. I really like the IS-F in blue. Honestly though the TQ of the C63 won me over. That being said I'm a fan of all performance cars, variety is the spice of life afterall.
Old 11-24-08, 09:01 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MHP
For their first shot so to speak Lexus did a great job no question. I really like the IS-F in blue. Honestly though the TQ of the C63 won me over. That being said I'm a fan of all performance cars, variety is the spice of life afterall.
The C63 is a great car and one that most of us IS F owners considered at length.

I am curious, as Lobuxracer previously asked, if you have actually tuned a Toyota/Lexus? If you have, there probably is some interest, as no one here has been able to direct us to anyone who has.
Old 11-24-08, 09:03 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Only one question - do you have any experience on Scion/Toyota/Lexus? If you don't, you're blowing smoke about being able to change anything. I have personal contacts in your industry who are well known for Audi/Porsche tuning - they've been working on Toyota's encryption for about 2 years now and still don't have it.
No experience with Toyota's. Why am I not worried? Because that's what the MB crowd said about MBs when we jumped into that market, same with the BMW guys. The objective results and $ back guarantee put their minds at ease.

So, have you done this or are you claiming you can do it without actually having successfully flashed a unit yet? The list of claimants is long - World Tuning, Cobb Tuning, and a host of others have said they "will do it." So far, since I first started working this issue in 1997 with the Supra ECM, no one has been able to access Toyota's code and change it.
We're the only ones in the world doing MB 7A TCUs and I don't know of anyone that can do BMW TCMs to our level either. I'm trying really hard not to overstep my boundaries being a non vendor...

If you're not doing a reflash, then you've got a piggyback emulator.

What are you really claiming you can do?
No piggybacks. If we have the car we can flash through the OBDII port, if not we flash directly through the drive connectors, we do not pry and resolder chips, etc.

Here's a generic list of what we've done with other highly complex ECU/TCUs:

Manipulate timing and A/F, change shift points, change shift quickness/firmness by reducing or eliminating torque management during launch, shifts and in gear, increase line pressure, increase stall speed, heighten throttle response, eliminate speed limiters, and more.

Also it should be known that TCU tuning (quicker/faster shifts) actually extends the life of the trans since longer shifts = more heat building in the trans.

Thanks and sorry if I'm not getting detailed enough, I don't want to offend paying vendors of the staff.
Old 11-24-08, 09:05 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
The C63 is a great car and one that most of us IS F owners considered at length.

I am curious, as Lobuxracer previously asked, if you have actually tuned a Toyota/Lexus? If you have, there probably is some interest, as no one here has been able to direct us to anyone who has.
I really can't believe no one's tuning these cars yet?

Thanks on the thumbsup for the C63, it's a fun ride for sure. With just ECU/TCU tuning and airboxes/filters and DRs ours ran 11.59@119.75 this past weekend. Before the boxes and with just tuning and drop in K&Ns we made 436/402rw SAE on a DJ stock it made 373/373 SAE.

Last edited by MHP; 11-24-08 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 09:08 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Dave,
Is it ok if I mention results from other makes, if not I apologize and will edit accordingly.

Thanks
Andy
Old 11-25-08, 04:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

What you posted above is fine.
Old 11-25-08, 06:03 AM
zakizaki
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MHP
for the C63, ..... With just ECU/TCU tuning and airboxes/filters and DRs ours ran 11.59@119.75 this past weekend. Before the boxes and with just tuning and drop in K&Ns we made 436/402rw SAE on a DJ stock it made 373/373 SAE.
If you are producing such increases in power what is done so the increased power does not overburden the longevity of the engine and transmission?

I realize you stated there have been no reports of failure that you are aware of but what DO you do to make sure of that? Are you just hoping that the engine and transmission are robust enough as they come from the manufacturer?

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)