IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 04:53 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phantax
MHP, what happens when our cars go in for service and the dealer decides to upgrade to a newer CAL ID?

I have seen this happen a few times where a car goes to the dealer for some minor service and the technician decides to update the ECU. Just wondering how this affects your tune, if at all?
When you take your car in for service make sure to tell the service advisor/writer not to reflash your ECU/TCU, you can tell them that and they have to abide by it. If they do flash over it, we'll reflash your cal for free (less shipping).
Old 12-17-08, 04:56 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by blaise
WoW good job guy's, I've been following this post from day one. Was this ecm any harder to tune than others? This is insane, we had people trying to crack the toyota codes for years, and you guy's have done it in 2 day's !!!! Please pm me some info on upgrading a gs400 ecm, and a price as well as expected gains. Thanx, and again good f,ting job
Thanks. Code is code, it was just like any other cal really. Thankfully Lexus hasn't gone to 128 bit encryption yet (like the latest MB stuff), that adds hours to each cal.

We'll be doing tuning GPs for all Lexus models in the next 2 weeks. I'm sure everyone will want to see Juan's objective results and hear his subjective commentary on the overall drivability, etc. before committing which is fine with us, as we're slammed through Christmas right now anyway.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-17-08, 04:57 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Hat's off to MHP
Old 12-17-08, 05:26 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't mean to hijack this ISF thread, but I can't wait for the IS350 results and GB price!
Old 12-17-08, 05:32 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
Thanks. Code is code, it was just like any other cal really. Thankfully Lexus hasn't gone to 128 bit encryption yet (like the latest MB stuff), that adds hours to each cal.
Well, I guess that means the "F" tune should be less expensive!

Last edited by cssnms; 12-17-08 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-17-08, 05:39 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Holy cow, MHP! Great job! Just unbelieveable how fast it took. Now, please be a CL approved vendor soon.
Old 12-17-08, 06:11 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow Andy, it was FAST! I'll follow your directions and post my findings. A dyno session and drive back to the strip will come later.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-08, 06:13 PM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Juanco, you are a pioneer, kind of like the first man in space. I feel like I am witnessing history being made here.
Old 12-17-08, 06:22 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm holding back any excitement until I see Juancas results and then a reasonable price. The proof is in the pudding.
Old 12-17-08, 06:36 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MHP
When you take your car in for service make sure to tell the service advisor/writer not to reflash your ECU/TCU, you can tell them that and they have to abide by it. If they do flash over it, we'll reflash your cal for free (less shipping).
What is the 'forward looking' support on this? EG, someone purchases it now, and then lexus toss an ECU update out to dealers that overcomes some significant issue. Will MHP delve into 'hacking' the new ECU changes/code as well to get the code back in? If so, what expense will there be to the customer? Hopefully not the cost of a full replacement, again?
Old 12-17-08, 06:37 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
I'm holding back any excitement until I see Juancas results and then a reasonable price. The proof is in the pudding.
+1

The price is a bit scary, but we'll see what their changes truly accomplish. If it's something atonishing, then maybe the cost will be justifiable.
Old 12-17-08, 08:22 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cssnms
Well, I guess that means the "F" tune should be less expensive!
Haha, unfortunately it means that the MB and BMW encrypted tunes will in all likelyhood increase in price.

Originally Posted by Stormforge
Holy cow, MHP! Great job! Just unbelieveable how fast it took. Now, please be a CL approved vendor soon.
Thanks! We're finally official SVs.

Originally Posted by Juanca
Wow Andy, it was FAST! I'll follow your directions and post my findings. A dyno session and drive back to the strip will come later.

Thanks.
Thanks again Juan!!
Old 12-17-08, 08:27 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oztiks
What is the 'forward looking' support on this? EG, someone purchases it now, and then lexus toss an ECU update out to dealers that overcomes some significant issue. Will MHP delve into 'hacking' the new ECU changes/code as well to get the code back in? If so, what expense will there be to the customer? Hopefully not the cost of a full replacement, again?
I'm not sure I'm understanding the question. What type of "update" are you referring to? In all our years no OEM manufacturer has ever come out with a tune that was superior to one of ours in any way shape or form. Basically you have nothing to worry about on that front. Again though, if a dealer does flash over your tuned ECU/TCU we'll reflash it for free (less shipping).

Originally Posted by oztiks
+1

The price is a bit scary, but we'll see what their changes truly accomplish. If it's something atonishing, then maybe the cost will be justifiable.
As far as $/HP nothing compares to our driveline tuning, and that statement applies to every car that we tune, Lambo/Ferrari to Smart/Mini. You know what kills me, lol, when a M5/M6 owner drops 12-15k on a full exhaust that nets them maybe 20rw (most of it due to the lower cell count cats) then has the audacity to complain about the price of a tune that makes them at least 50% more power for less than half the price--not to mention the huge difference in part throttle drivability as well. In time you'll see that our ECU/TCU tuning literally transforms the car. I really can't wait to hear from Juan and to see more of you running our tuning.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-17-08, 09:00 PM
ExclusivIS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Couldn't agree more....
Old 12-17-08, 09:06 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ExclusivIS
Couldn't agree more....
if you get this done we expect you to attend a Chicago meet If Cathy can drive to a So Cal meet you can surely come visit us

I cant wait to see what the results are

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)