IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 09:13 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no way, u guys sent it back already? shiiiyyyyyt i wish most R&D (well i gues it was jsut development but still) was this fast. I remember the headers thread took months and months and months to get done. amazing work guys

cant wait too see the dyno, also i wanna hear jauns reactions and opinions to this mod
Old 12-17-08, 09:30 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ndk83
no way, u guys sent it back already? shiiiyyyyyt i wish most R&D (well i gues it was jsut development but still) was this fast. I remember the headers thread took months and months and months to get done. amazing work guys

cant wait too see the dyno, also i wanna hear jauns reactions and opinions to this mod

To be fair as long as you have the hardware/software and ability tuning is a much quicker process than fabricating hard parts.

That being said we still need an IS-F in Edgewood, MD for two days to fabricate our CAI. The owner will receive a free CAI in exchange for the use of their car. Any takers?

Also an owner willing to let us (Ohio) use their IS-F for 4-5 weeks for fabrication of our full (longtube to tailpipe) exhaust. The owner will receive a free full exhaust in exchange for allowing us to use their vehicle to fabricate off of.

Additionally both vehicle donors will have the option to purchase a matched ECU/TCU tune at a significantly discounted rate, varying per amount of data they are willing to collect/post, if interested.

Please PM me or email andrew@modernhorsepower.com if you are interested in either of the above.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-17-08, 09:38 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Nice work. I'm looking forward to what Juan has to say.

I've got to believe *someone* in Chicago will be getting one of these.
Old 12-17-08, 09:51 PM
Obike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MHP
Well, we're done.

Boxes will ship back to Juan tomorrow.

We think you'll be very pleased with the results. Juan, remember, the first 30-40 miles need to be extremely hard in manual mode, then swtich to auto and drive hard until you hit 200 miles post tuning. Do not test (dyno/track) until after you rack up at least 200 miles.

Most importantly, enjoy!!!
Apologies, but this right here raises a huge red flag for me. Doing this alone can cause the ECU to re-learn and modify long-term and short-term fuel/timing trims which will result in modified power outputs. Because of this when you hit the dyno or go down the quarter-mile you can see some minor differences. In my opinion you should immediately take it to the drag strip or a dyno and look at the results. If the product is real you will see differences right away... don't go by the "butt dyno" (it lies). Better yet... get an OBD-II cable that is capable of logging and data log fuel, timing, and O2 readings. That will provide a lot of information on if this is for real or not.

Is this the first ECU/TCU you've received from an IS-F, MHP?
Old 12-17-08, 10:56 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Obike
Apologies, but this right here raises a huge red flag for me. Doing this alone can cause the ECU to re-learn and modify long-term and short-term fuel/timing trims which will result in modified power outputs. Because of this when you hit the dyno or go down the quarter-mile you can see some minor differences. In my opinion you should immediately take it to the drag strip or a dyno and look at the results. If the product is real you will see differences right away... don't go by the "butt dyno" (it lies). Better yet... get an OBD-II cable that is capable of logging and data log fuel, timing, and O2 readings. That will provide a lot of information on if this is for real or not.

Is this the first ECU/TCU you've received from an IS-F, MHP?
You'd be right, but we eliminate over 80% of the adaptives from the ECU/TCU so even after you've driven like a Grandma for the past 8hrs the next time you go WOT it's perfect. The intial "break-in" is something that we tell all of our customers to do regardless of make/model all the time--you can probably Google our break-in procedure at this point.
You absolutely cannot test the tune immediately it feels quite stock for the first 10-20 miles.
Anyway as you know adaptives can be reset by pulling a battery cable, ECU fuse, etc. so if Juan wants to he can, before or after breaking in our ECU, beat the snot out of his stocker for a subjective comparison.
Also, dyno and track #s don't lie (we aren't going to see a 20-30rw gain from varying adaptives) and Juan has pre-tune data from both (read the thread from the beginning to see why) and has agreed to acquire post tune data from the same dyno/track using the same procedure, etc.
As for datalogging I'm all for it, however I request that Juan NOT post or in any other way disseminate the actual specs to anyone. We are NOT in the business of giving our tuning specifications away to competitors.

As for your last statement. Just tell me how you want it served.

...and yes this is the first Lexus ECU/TCU we've done.

Last edited by MHP; 12-17-08 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-17-08, 11:00 PM
MHP
Pole Position

FYI, the first thing he should notice is the part throttle shifting, throttle response, and vastly increased low end/midrange tq.

WOT shifting is the last thing to set, it will continue to become quicker until around 200 hard miles.
Old 12-17-08, 11:20 PM
Obike
Driver School Candidate

I find it extremely hard to believe that the ECU has been cracked, especially since this is the first Toyota/Lexus/Scion your company has performed work on. What is amazing to me is that you claim to have accomplished what others haven't been able to do for years (approximately 15yrs).

What really trips the BS meter on this one is the fact that from the first reception of the ECU to release for the customer you have less than one month. That's one month of determining the specifications of the ECU (processor architecture, programing protocols, checksum location, checksum calculation, code modification, etc) and providing a tune with no in-depth dyno testing, road testing, or track testing on this specific engine/transmission combo. Even if, in theory, you did crack the ECU/TCU you have no knowledge of what damage you can cause to the motor or transmission from improper tuning without having a vehicle present for testing.

As for the data... we can communicate over PM if you are afraid of the data getting out. I'll want in-depth technical information that will lead me to believe that this is fact and not fiction. I will also be verifying this independently.

The only logical explanation for any of this is that you have somehow received in-depth information on the grey market. If that was the case there would be more software available for the platform.
Old 12-17-08, 11:23 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I find it extremely hard to believe that the ECU has been cracked, especially since this is the first Toyota/Lexus/Scion your company has performed work on. What is amazing to me is that you claim to have accomplished what others haven't been able to do for years (approximately 15yrs).

What really trips the BS meter on this one is the fact that from the first reception of the ECU to release for the customer you have less than one month. That's one month of determining the specifications of the ECU (processor architecture, programing protocols, checksum location, checksum calculation, code modification, etc) and providing a tune with no in-depth dyno testing, road testing, or track testing on this specific engine/transmission combo. Even if, in theory, you did crack the ECU/TCU you have no knowledge of what damage you can cause to the motor or transmission from improper tuning without having a vehicle present for testing.

As for the data... we can communicate over PM if you are afraid of the data getting out. I'll want in-depth technical information that will lead me to believe that this is fact and not fiction. I will also be verifying this independently.

The only logical explanation for any of this is that you have somehow received in-depth information on the grey market. If that was the case there would be more software available for the platform.

Agreed. I'd be more than overjoyed if this whole thing works out, but I have a lot of doubts. More props to MHP if it is legit. Double if they don't have a Toyota ECU engineer or someone who has access to such info on the payroll.
Old 12-18-08, 12:07 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,062 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by MHP

I have a feeling we'll be able to uncork a few additional horses for those with your exhaust.

Thanks
Andy

Originally Posted by Joe Z
No Problem Andy...

Looks like we share the same goals!!

Creating more Rwhp for the IS-F!!!

- Joe Z
Andy,

I was very anxious to see the progress of your ECU Tunning, as this is something many of us have been waiting for years in our Lexus community.

But now your ready to fabricate a Cold Air Intake (CAI) for the IS-F?

- Which generally speaking is sometimes seen as a hot air intake in other applications, especially if the intake pipe and filter remain in the engine bay.
These styles of short ram air intake pipes have been known to "not do too much" on the performance aspect for typical IS models.
However, they sound fantastic.

* Have you seen or read up on the design of the OEM Dual Stage Air Intake System on the IS-F?

Also, looks like your now ready to fabricate a Full Exhaust ?
When you say "longtube", are you describing a possible aftermarket long tube header design... ?
Followed by the rest of a fabricated Full Exhaust. ?

This is a very interesting development.

Thank You
Joe Z

Originally Posted by MHP
To be fair as long as you have the hardware/software and ability tuning is a much quicker process than fabricating hard parts.

That being said we still need an IS-F in Edgewood, MD for two days to fabricate our CAI. The owner will receive a free CAI in exchange for the use of their car. Any takers?

Also an owner willing to let us (Ohio) use their IS-F for 4-5 weeks for fabrication of our full (longtube to tailpipe) exhaust. The owner will receive a free full exhaust in exchange for allowing us to use their vehicle to fabricate off of.

Additionally both vehicle donors will have the option to purchase a matched ECU/TCU tune at a significantly discounted rate, varying per amount of data they are willing to collect/post, if interested.

Please PM me or email andrew@modernhorsepower.com if you are interested in either of the above.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-18-08, 01:07 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Won't this be known on the first dyno run when the AFR sensor plots out what the operating parameters are? Are you saying you don't want him to put up the AFR graph?
We don't care about A/F, but timing for instance is another story.
Old 12-18-08, 01:16 AM
MHP
Pole Position

We're the only ones doing every European TCUs as well, not sure what you want me to say other than that. Name another tuner that has access to not only chassis and engine dynos but a transmission dyno as well...I can't think of one.

We do 90% of our tuning remotely, including Bentleys, SLRs, Ferrari's, Lambos, etc. We have every cars base cal on file or have access to it, it takes us all of 30 minutes to go over the key components to assess what's left in a driveline relatively speaking. Why you think the Toyota/Lexus ECU is such a big deal rather baffles us. It's just like any other ECU 1s and 0s, there are far more complex units (like the dual Ferrari ECUs) on the market.
If you had taken the time to read the thread you would have noted that it took us around 7 days to build the checksum software.

I don't mean this in an offensive manner, but we are in no way going to comply with your requests. As I said before, we'll answer most questions but the path it appears you want to go down just isn't going to happen. If you don't believe objective results from a 3rd party, or objective results from the initial GP customers immediately following, well, no one's putting a gun to your head. Our stance on this is unfortunately necessitated by the fact that our IP has been stolen multiple times in the past, and I highly doubt it's going to stop anytime soon. We put a LOT of time and hardwork into our cals, so I hope you can understand where we're coming from on this.

You got us. We bought some magic pixie dust off the black market over in eastern europe...Crazy ****, but it works wonders on ECUs.

We set this entire test up to avoid having to deal with posts like this, that's why the forum chose an objective tester.

As for your questions regarding legitimacy, in time you'll have more than enough data to kill a horse.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited by MHP; 12-18-08 at 02:44 AM.
Old 12-18-08, 01:32 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Andy,

I was very anxious to see the progress of your ECU Tunning, as this is something many of us have been waiting for years in our Lexus community.

But now your ready to fabricate a Cold Air Intake (CAI) for the IS-F?

- Which generally speaking is sometimes seen as a hot air intake in other applications, especially if the intake pipe and filter remain in the engine bay.
These styles of short ram air intake pipes have been known to "not do too much" on the performance aspect for typical IS models.
However, they sound fantastic.

* Have you seen or read up on the design of the OEM Dual Stage Air Intake System on the IS-F?

Also, looks like your now ready to fabricate a Full Exhaust ?
When you say "longtube", are you describing a possible aftermarket long tube header design... ?
Followed by the rest of a fabricated Full Exhaust. ?

This is a very interesting development.

Thank You
Joe Z
Joe,
We have made 600rw N/A from a 5.4L/4v Ford Modular, 233HP/L from a 1.5L 2v SOHC NHRA Prostock Bike motor ($50k a pop), 440rwhp from a 11.8:1, 9700rpm steel rod 4.6/4Vs, 1700rw from Joe's Stage 6 TT Ford GT, rebuilt dozens of Cosworth DFX F1 V8s, Mike Bell's blown alcohol funny car (3500HP), etc. etc. We have the ability to fabricate custom intake manifolds, full exhausts, port heads, cut valves/seats, build bottom ends/entire motors, fabricate turbo kits, etc etc etc.

Race ported Ford GT Intake Port:

Race ported Ford GT Exhaust Port:

Custom Cast Intake Manifold for my 550rw N/A 5.4/4v:

Here are a few pics of our full (longtube to tailpipe) GT500 exhaust. It's all 304T with 1 7/8" primaries, 3" collectors, velocity merge collectors, 300cpi RT Metallic Substrate cats, 3" X pipe and straight through mufflers. It's a zero drone system just like all our exhausts. We use laser welders and Mckee pipe benders.

more pics in next post

I guess what I'm trying to say is that questioning us about our ability to design a CAI or full exhaust is like handing a PhD a coloring book and telling him to stay within the lines.

That being said we can talk tech all day long if you want.
Old 12-18-08, 01:33 AM
MHP
Pole Position

Old 12-18-08, 01:40 AM
MHP
Pole Position

I'll post pics of our full C63 exhaust in the next 3 weeks. All 304T Stainless, your choice of cat cell count and/or O/R mids, baffled or straight through mufflers and a lifetime warranty on everything. It will retailfor $5995 (full system with cats) shipped to your door in the U.S. (less AK, HI) which is half the cost of a similar system from other makers despite quality that is on par or better than the comp.

The IS-F plan will follow what we did with the C63. First ECU/TCU Tuning, then CAI and full exhaust and finally a SFI certified UD pulley. I'd like to see some 420-430rw MHP IS-Fs with stock longblocks N/A running around.
We've already made 530rw on 100 octane with a stock longblock N/A bolt-on and MHP tuned AMG 6.2. BTW, 6.2s have dual runner/variable geometry intakes as well... That has absolutely nothing to do with the design of a CAI system for the vehicle in question however.

Finally, we do have a H/C package in the works for the IS-F, though it's currently slotted behind the E60/E63 BMW V10 H/C package. We just wrapped our 6.2 H/C offering this past week. With custom billet cams (not regrinds) of course.

Last edited by MHP; 12-18-08 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-18-08, 01:58 AM
MHP
Pole Position

AMG 6.2 head (unported), this set will go on my car after the Jan 24th HRP Stage II (full bolt-on exhaust stock longblock N/A C63) Test:

Those bare heads from MB cost as much as my fully built and race ported Ford GT heads, $10k. LOL.

AMG 6.2 heads have 40/33mm valves, v Ford GTs 37/32mm valves. The port angles are damn near 45 degress for the 6.2 and close to 90 for the Ford--AMG designed the 6.2 to be a performance app no question, the Ford GT head was the best Ford could do and still meet packaging constraints.
The ported GT head in question will flow 370/290cfm @.500" at 28" on a 3.57 bore (.020" over stock). We saw 410/350cfm at the same lift and pressure from our race ported 6.2 AMG heads (4.02" bore) with stock valve/seat size. More to be had with a +1mm exhaust for sure.
The goal is 500-510rw SAE on 93 octane with H/C + full exhaust, + SFI UD pulley + CF Airboxes/Filters and our Tuning. Then with H/C 580-600rw. we also have a 7.0L stroker kit available for the 6.2, not cheap but we can net you 700rw N/A on 100 octane spinning to 7800rpm.
Again we look to provide a similar package for the IS-F in the near future.
We have already commenced work on a few prototype ford 5.0/4v 400hp/360tq (87 octane) 2011 SE Mustang GT engines. They're not too far off the Lex 5.0L in terms of potential.

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)