IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 08:58 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Reality check. How many people would honestly dish out $4500 for a full ECU/TCU even if he is successful? I mean seriously folks that is A LOT of money for something intangible. The car would be faster and cost you 1/4th the amount by installing N20 like HKS350 has done.

I know a lot of people (including myself) are excited about the possibility of finally having the ECU tuned, but how many of you would really dish out the $$$$? I don't see this business practice being successful with the prices I'm hearing. (This is either genius or insane.) $5995 for exhaust, $3900GP ECU/TCU, and who knows how much for an intake.

Last edited by caymandive; 12-22-08 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-22-08, 09:43 AM
LEXUSF
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
reality check. How many people would honestly dish out $4500 for a full ecu/tcu even if he is successful? I mean seriously folks that is a lot of money for something intangible. The car would be faster and cost you 1/4th the amount by installing n20 like hks350 has done.

I know a lot of people (including myself) are excited about the possibility of finally having the ecu tuned, but how many of you would really dish out the $$$$? I don't see this business practice being successful with the prices i'm hearing. (this is either genius or insane.) $5995 for exhaust, $3900gp ecu/tcu, and who knows how much for an intake.
i said the same thing if i was tuning a ferrari or a lambo maybe but a 62000 lexus not interested in that much!
Old 12-22-08, 10:22 AM
1MAC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Who's selling a $5995 exhaust for the IS-F?

2. Nitrous oxide is not really an overall performance upgrade. It's only useful at WOT, as in drag racing. That's what Mustangs are for. I don't know if it's a good idea to add N2O to an engine that has 11.8:1 compression anyway.
An ECU/TCU tune could add increased performance throughout the rpm range that would make the car faster in all settings, not just the dragstrip.
Old 12-22-08, 10:31 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1MAC
1. Who's selling a $5995 exhaust for the IS-F?
Post 338 of this thread

"I'll post pics of our full C63 exhaust in the next 3 weeks. All 304T Stainless, your choice of cat cell count and/or O/R mids, baffled or straight through mufflers and a lifetime warranty on everything. It will retailfor $5995 (full system with cats) shipped to your door in the U.S. (less AK, HI) which is half the cost of a similar system from other makers despite quality that is on par or better than the comp." MHP

Originally Posted by 1MAC
2. Nitrous oxide is not really an overall performance upgrade. It's only useful at WOT, as in drag racing. That's what Mustangs are for. I don't know if it's a good idea to add N2O to an engine that has 11.8:1 compression anyway.
An ECU/TCU tune could add increased performance throughout the rpm range that would make the car faster in all settings, not just the dragstrip.
Seems to work well on the IS350 with high compression as well as alot of other cars with high compression. As long as there is enough fuel it's pretty safe. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...deo-tease.html https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...us-anyone.html

Last edited by caymandive; 12-22-08 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-22-08, 10:39 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,066 Likes on 2,463 Posts

Originally Posted by MHP
...First ECU/TCU Tuning, then CAI and full exhaust and finally a SFI certified UD pulley...
What do you expect to gain from an underdrive pulley on the F? Power steering is electric, not hydraulic. So, all there really is to slow down is the water pump and the alternator. I'm not thinking that will be a prudent idea for an engine already showing ignition break up at WOT and high rpm and an electric power steering system.
Old 12-22-08, 10:46 AM
cssnms
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

[QUOTE=caymandive;4105055]Post 338 of this thread

"I'll post pics of our full C63 exhaust in the next 3 weeks. All 304T Stainless, your choice of cat cell count and/or O/R mids, baffled or straight through mufflers and a lifetime warranty on everything. It will retailfor $5995 (full system with cats) shipped to your door in the U.S. (less AK, HI) which is half the cost of a similar system from other makers despite quality that is on par or better than the comp." MHPQUOTE]

That must be for an entire system including headers. Most of MHP's cat back systems retail at an average price point of $1000 - $2000.
Old 12-22-08, 11:01 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who else is doing any kind of tuning? The fact (regardless of price) that MHP is stepping up is beneficial in many ways. It not only will provide (if successful) IS-F owners the option to get the most out of their cars safely without resorting to aspiration, and it will altar the supply and demand curve when other companies take note of what MHP is doing and want to join the party, thus driving prices down (more supply). I'll admit that the exhaust figure is a little exorbitant but to say that if someone is willing to pay over a grand for a front lip and over 4k for aftermarket wheels and not fork over 4k for a custom tune is a little pessimistic

I for one would rather spend five grand on a tune and exhaust than a bodykit and new rollers........Just my opinion, no flaming required
Old 12-22-08, 11:02 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Reality check. How many people would honestly dish out $4500 for a full ECU/TCU even if he is successful? I mean seriously folks that is A LOT of money for something intangible. The car would be faster and cost you 1/4th the amount by installing N20 like HKS350 has done.

I know a lot of people (including myself) are excited about the possibility of finally having the ECU tuned, but how many of you would really dish out the $$$$? I don't see this business practice being successful with the prices I'm hearing. (This is either genius or insane.) $5995 for exhaust, $3900GP ECU/TCU, and who knows how much for an intake.
at $4500, you're right, maybe there won't be as many is350 owners - if any - lining up for this.

but there are quite a few is350 owners already dropping an $2k+ on rims.

if priced competitively, there will be enough is350 owners that will want the ECU/TCU upgrade.

that is, assuming that MHP delivers on what they promise.

again, careful optimism...
Old 12-22-08, 11:06 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by projectdna
at $4500, you're right, maybe there won't be as many is350 owners - if any - lining up for this.

but there are quite a few is350 owners already dropping an $2k+ on rims.

if priced competitively, there will be enough is350 owners that will want the ECU/TCU upgrade.

that is, assuming that MHP delivers on what they promise.

again, careful optimism...

+1
Old 12-22-08, 11:22 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cssnms
That must be for an entire system including headers. Most of MHP's cat back systems retail at an average price point of $1000 - $2000.
Yeah I assumed the price ($5995) must include headers, cats, highest quality SS and craftmanship etc, but still that is a lot of dough and very overpriced.

I do understand people are dropping 3-4k on wheels/tires, but guess what? You can resell those eventually and make half of the money back. We are talking about dropping thousands on an ECU/TCU tune that will be money burned down the road.

Maybe I'm just not in the same class as some of you as I have a budget, but even still one would think a person should have common sense.
Old 12-22-08, 11:48 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I assumed the price ($5995) must include headers, cats, highest quality SS and craftmanship etc, but still that is a lot of dough and very overpriced.

I do understand people are dropping 3-4k on wheels/tires, but guess what? You can resell those eventually and make half of the money back. We are talking about dropping thousands on an ECU/TCU tune that will be money burned down the road.

Maybe I'm just not in the same class as some of you as I have a budget, but even still one would think a person should have common sense.
Agreed 100%.
Old 12-22-08, 11:48 AM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Commen sense? Like buying a 60k four door golf cart, slapping drag radials on that sucker and running 12.3's at the strip like it's nothing

God bless you Cayman
Old 12-22-08, 01:00 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This UPS track is killing me!!! I've been checking the receiving section of the office literally every 15 minutes since I got here at 8.00AM and nothing so far!!! Their website shows the package as "OUT FOR DELIVERY" since 7.36AM. I haven't been able to do anything productive today other than walking back and forth in the office (productive for my health I guess... LOL).
Old 12-22-08, 01:05 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

bump for cardio
Old 12-22-08, 01:08 PM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Any good news?? Can't wait!!

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)