IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-08, 01:14 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Are your palms getting sweaty yet Juanca?
Old 12-22-08, 01:20 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
Reality check. How many people would honestly dish out $4500 for a full ECU/TCU even if he is successful? I mean seriously folks that is A LOT of money for something intangible. The car would be faster and cost you 1/4th the amount by installing N20 like HKS350 has done.
The simple fact of the matter is that ECU/TCU tuning nets greater gains than any other mod for any modern car bar none. We produce ECU/TCU results on par with those that charge $15k (check out MKB for MBs, $15k for ECU and headers and they're still not as quick). No question we are a premium tuner, with premium results.
To put it another way, if your wife asked you for a Vuitton purse for Christmas, would you snag her a knock off Coach instead?

Regarding nitrous, I'm personally not a fan though we all know it's effective. The thing is, even with all the safety equipment in the world a leaky solenoid can still trash a longblock in a split second. I've seen it happen DOZENS of times.
Then of course, what do you do when you run out of spray? Ask for a timeout while you go refill?

I know a lot of people (including myself) are excited about the possibility of finally having the ECU tuned, but how many of you would really dish out the $$$$? I don't see this business practice being successful with the prices I'm hearing. (This is either genius or insane.) $5995 for exhaust, $3900GP ECU/TCU, and who knows how much for an intake.
I guess it's a good thing we're doing the tuning and setting the prices. You're paying the same amount as others with comparable vehicles (M3, C63). Again, we have 15-20hrs in every cal, and even if another tuner magically started doing ECUs for you I can guarantee their results wouldn't be nearly as potent--they aren't for any other brand. They also wouldn't be able to do TCU either.

You do realize that $5995 for our full exhaust (Longtube to tailpipe) is a relative bargain compared to our competition ($10-15k for a SuperSprint exhaust). You'll be getting 1 3/4" LTs, merge collectors, metallic substrate cats with your choice of cell count, X pipe, resonators, mufflers (your choice straight through or baffled), all 304T Stainless, shipped to your door (U.S.) and everything with a lifetime warranty.

Does anyone else even do longtubes for an IS-F?

If you want to sit on the sidelines and complain about pricing be my guest the structure isn't going to change. Those that want what we have to offer won't have any issues whatsoever paying for what they get.
Old 12-22-08, 01:24 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DFLORES
i said the same thing if i was tuning a ferrari or a lambo maybe but a 62000 lexus not interested in that much!
Our Ferrari/Lambo tunes are $10-18k depending on how custom the cal is. Dual ECUs are no joke, and we're one of a handful in the world that can tune them.
Old 12-22-08, 01:36 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MHP
Does anyone else even do longtubes for an IS-F?
No and we haven't seen them from you either.

Originally Posted by MHP
If you want to sit on the sidelines and complain about pricing be my guest the structure isn't going to change. Those that want what we have to offer won't have any issues whatsoever paying for what they get.
oh actually I'm further away than the sidelines and will be staying here. Play ball everyone. I'm enjoying the game.
Old 12-22-08, 01:36 PM
Juanca
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're here!!! The UPS truck finally showed up! Either I install them back tonight (not quite sure, I need day light) or I take Tuesday off and do it with plenty of time (and light).
Old 12-22-08, 01:39 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 1MAC
1. Who's selling a $5995 exhaust for the IS-F?

2. Nitrous oxide is not really an overall performance upgrade. It's only useful at WOT, as in drag racing. That's what Mustangs are for. I don't know if it's a good idea to add N2O to an engine that has 11.8:1 compression anyway.
An ECU/TCU tune could add increased performance throughout the rpm range that would make the car faster in all settings, not just the dragstrip.
Post 338 of this thread

"I'll post pics of our full C63 exhaust in the next 3 weeks. All 304T Stainless, your choice of cat cell count and/or O/R mids, baffled or straight through mufflers and a lifetime warranty on everything. It will retailfor $5995 (full system with cats) shipped to your door in the U.S. (less AK, HI) which is half the cost of a similar system from other makers despite quality that is on par or better than the comp." MHP

Seems to work well on the IS350 with high compression as well as alot of other cars with high compression. As long as there is enough fuel it's pretty safe. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...deo-tease.html https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...us-anyone.html
Whatever a N/A motor likes (ie high static C/R) a nitrous motor will take to as well. High static C/R + spray= good results. Again though even with all the redundant safety systems in the world you're never truly safe with spray.

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
What do you expect to gain from an underdrive pulley on the F? Power steering is electric, not hydraulic. So, all there really is to slow down is the water pump and the alternator. I'm not thinking that will be a prudent idea for an engine already showing ignition break up at WOT and high rpm and an electric power steering system.
We can play with the alt. pulley as well, I don't care if we gain 5rwhp if there's power to be had we'll find it. Obviously it will be up to the customer to decide if it's worth the $, but it's a free market and we're simply here to provide power.

Post 338 of this thread

"I'll post pics of our full C63 exhaust in the next 3 weeks. All 304T Stainless, your choice of cat cell count and/or O/R mids, baffled or straight through mufflers and a lifetime warranty on everything. It will retailfor $5995 (full system with cats) shipped to your door in the U.S. (less AK, HI) which is half the cost of a similar system from other makers despite quality that is on par or better than the comp." MHP
That must be for an entire system including headers. Most of MHP's cat back systems retail at an average price point of $1000 - $2000.
That's correct, it's the entire system including 02 extensions, etc. Everything necessary to install shipped to your door.
Our Euro/Import full exhausts are of a higher grade than their domestic counterparts as well. 304T v 304L, merge collectors vs none, choice in cat cell count and type of mufflers, higher quality tips, etc.

Originally Posted by 8speed
Who else is doing any kind of tuning? The fact (regardless of price) that MHP is stepping up is beneficial in many ways. It not only will provide (if successful) IS-F owners the option to get the most out of their cars safely without resorting to aspiration, and it will altar the supply and demand curve when other companies take note of what MHP is doing and want to join the party, thus driving prices down (more supply). I'll admit that the exhaust figure is a little exorbitant but to say that if someone is willing to pay over a grand for a front lip and over 4k for aftermarket wheels and not fork over 4k for a custom tune is a little pessimistic

I for one would rather spend five grand on a tune and exhaust than a bodykit and new rollers........Just my opinion, no flaming required
Ding Ding Ding. How much are existing exhausts/intakes for IS-Fs at present? Add them up, then compare before/after track/dyno data then try and tell me those mods make any sense $ wise.

Originally Posted by projectdna
at $4500, you're right, maybe there won't be as many is350 owners - if any - lining up for this.

but there are quite a few is350 owners already dropping an $2k+ on rims.

if priced competitively, there will be enough is350 owners that will want the ECU/TCU upgrade.

that is, assuming that MHP delivers on what they promise.

again, careful optimism...
This is the third time in this thread alone I've stated that IS350 pricing won't be the same as IS-F, nor will IS250 be the same as IS350 or SC/GS430, etc etc.
Again the bottom line with our complete driveline tuning is that you can't make more power safely (ousts nitrous because you can spray with our tuning as well) with any other part or combination of parts for less $.

Yeah I assumed the price ($5995) must include headers, cats, highest quality SS and craftmanship etc, but still that is a lot of dough and very overpriced.
You could always contact Flowmaster to see if they'd be interested in doing an aluminized steel version for half the price.

I do understand people are dropping 3-4k on wheels/tires, but guess what? You can resell those eventually and make half of the money back. We are talking about dropping thousands on an ECU/TCU tune that will be money burned down the road.
Resell used tires?

So you'd be happy recouping 50% ($2k) of a $4k wheel and tire package (parts that incur wear and damage like rock chips, curb rash, etc from being daily driven) but for some odd reason don't think you'll net any cash from an extremely high quality ECU/TCU tune that will effectively outlast the car?
You can purchase our MB/AMG tuning through select dealers directly, and retain warranty, I think that should tell you something reg. the quality of the product delivered.

Maybe I'm just not in the same class as some of you as I have a budget, but even still one would think a person should have common sense.
If you have a budget or feel that products are priced too high for you so be it, that's your call and I respect it. However you continuing to sound off about how you can't afford the parts/tuning is getting somewhat old. We get what you're saying, point taken, however nothing's going to change so please move on.
If you think we're overpriced start doing some homework on what kind of hard parts and proven tuning are available for comparable vehicles, and what rates are charged for said items. I think you'll be VERY surprised.
For $5k with a MB you can buy a 80mm TB for your 55k along with a set of log/shorty manifolds (junk) that make 5rwhp--this being from a less expensive "tuner".
If you want dirt cheap parts, buy a Mustang. I've had a few Cobras and as far as cheap fun goes, they're hard to beat.

Thanks

Last edited by MHP; 12-22-08 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 01:40 PM
is350drive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet you won't sleep tonight! lol
Old 12-22-08, 01:42 PM
MHP
Pole Position

No and we haven't seen them from you either.
You won't for another 6 weeks or so, but I'll be sure to post extra pics when ready just for you.

oh actually I'm further away than the sidelines and will be staying here. Play ball everyone. I'm enjoying the game.

Then do us all a favor and please keep your comments to yourself. This is not a thread for you to sound off in regarding the cost of products you have no intention of purchasing, it's an informative thread for those that are interested in what we have to offer.

Thanks
Andy
Old 12-22-08, 01:44 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Long tubes

Tanabe put a catback on an IS-F...........oh, and my father was a piano mover so, I have that going for me

Andy, you don't have to defend yourself after every post of discord and disputation. We get it man and appreciate everything you're doing for Lexus and IS-F owners!

Last edited by 8speed; 12-22-08 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 02:03 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Just spoke with Juan, he received the units about 5 minutes ago.

Thanks
Old 12-22-08, 02:27 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 8speed
Long tubes

Tanabe put a catback on an IS-F...........oh, and my father was a piano mover so, I have that going for me

Andy, you don't have to defend yourself after every post of discord and disputation. We get it man and appreciate everything you're doing for Lexus and IS-F owners!
Thanks Ty. Apologies if I was harsh above, I get kind of edgy around the holidays--lots of traveling + seeing random family members makes me happy they only come once per year.
Old 12-22-08, 02:32 PM
8speed
Lexus Test Driver

Got to love the holidays
Old 12-22-08, 02:34 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MHP
Then do us all a favor and please keep your comments to yourself. This is not a thread for you to sound off in regarding the cost of products you have no intention of purchasing, it's an informative thread for those that are interested in what we have to offer.

Thanks
Andy
Actually this thread was started before you became a vendor and I have every right to my opinion no matter how many times I wish to say it. You are not the OP. Why don't you start a thread in the Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace and I promise I'll keep quiet just for you.

Just and FYI, I WAS the one that asked 8speed to contact you about potential ECU tuning for the IS-F as I was impressed with what you were doing on the MB forums. Your comment on the MB forums about being able to tap the TOYOTA ecu was intriguing.

Originally Posted by MHP
If you think we're overpriced start doing some homework on what kind of hard parts and proven tuning are available for comparable vehicles, and what rates are charged for said items. I think you'll be VERY surprised.

You do realize this car is a Toyota right? This is one of the reasons I'm so surprised with the kind of prices you are asking for the products.

Last edited by caymandive; 12-22-08 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-22-08, 02:58 PM
oztiks
Lexus Test Driver

Stupid question that doesnt appear to have been asked -

If the ECU can be tuned by other people (MHP) and yield better performance, why doesn't it come right from the factory that way? if the response is "lexus is conservative...", what kind of risks are we exposing the transmission et al to by doing the tuning?
Old 12-22-08, 03:19 PM
MHP
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oztiks
Stupid question that doesnt appear to have been asked -

If the ECU can be tuned by other people (MHP) and yield better performance, why doesn't it come right from the factory that way? if the response is "lexus is conservative...", what kind of risks are we exposing the transmission et al to by doing the tuning?
Not at all a stupid question:
Automakers leave a lot on the table for various reasons including an emissions cushion (no worries you'll still pass with our tuning), insurance reasons, and predominately the fact that they like to be able to increase engine output in later model years without retooling (just a software change). It saves them $ and keeps customers happy with increases in power vs the previous year/gen.
There is absolutely no downside to our ECU tuning (you'll even net better fuel economy when at part throttle), and our TCU tuning actually extends the life of the trans (quicker shifts= less time for heat to build in the trans between gears).

Thanks
Andy

Quick Reply: MHP ECU/TCU Thread (updated with v1 gains: Graphs/Spreadsheet Breakdown)